Author Topic: Having trouble choosing a board...  (Read 13892 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Having trouble choosing a board...
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you, been looking hard at a few boards myself, but i got a few years on you 54 ;) I was thinking real hard on the Infinity wide aquatic its a 10'4 x 32 board, going to demo one in the next week had my heart set on a 9'6 new deal but I'm just getting into sup surfing and that might be a little advanced for me right now. I live in south OC so Infinity shop isn't far. My problem is I don't want to buy a board now and decide I want a shorter one in a few months.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:20:33 AM by SouthCounty »
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
@ SouthCounty

That is a very nice looking Infinity Wide Aquatic 10' x 32" sup. I'll have to go over to the Infinity site and check it out in more detail.

Thanks for posting the picture of it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »
That Wide Aquatic is a nice looking board, but looks a little more cruiser/general purpose, and not fully designed for surfing. Looking for something a little more performance oriented/surf specific.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »
its actually 10'4 its a true surf shape, but more the since in S type turns kinda cruiser mode, Want performance look at the new deal
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
Infinity used to have less bulky, more performance model called the “Carver” which the Wide Aquatic was upscaled from. They still have the Carver template and can still produce them in basically whatever dims suits you. You can see the Carver in older Infinity catalogs (maybe '15 or '16 ?). It's kind of old school-ish like the JL Hanalei, but less so. Just another option... to add to your list.

https://issuu.com/infinitysurf./docs/infinity_sup_catalog2016_issuu     
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:49:20 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 06:34:45 PM »
The longest RNB production board is 8'8" and 142 liters.

I have the 8'5" which is 133. Works in one foot works in DOH. Stable as a dory. Worth a demo if
you don't need the length, but need width for stability.
Story of "Crash" Biggie..LOL! 😎🤣
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 07:36:44 PM »
That Wide Aquatic is a nice looking board, but looks a little more cruiser/general purpose, and not fully designed for surfing. Looking for something a little more performance oriented/surf specific.

Well, I went to the Infinity site to look at the 10'4" Wide Aquatic. The specs for this board left out one item, it's thickness. The thickness was not listed. So I had to so some leg work and it took me quite a while to find the thickness which I found in a video. This board's specs are 10'4" x 32" x 4.75" @ 183 liters. I never could find the weight of this board, but a phone call will have to be order to find that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptcy-oV9LAQ

Also, I did find a video showing it does surf. The video is a year old so the board in this video is most likely a 2018 year model since the grip handle is not the same as it is on the 2019 model. And I can't tell if the board is the 10'4" or the 10'8".

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:40:03 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »
My 10 4 is 24 lbs without the fins.  According to Infinity the bigger one a pound heavier.
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 11:02:47 AM »
It’s interesting, I’ve emailed a few shapers explaining my experience, and almost of all the boards I’ve owned in the past, and explaining my current needs and the type of break I’ll be riding the board at 90% of the time. I explained that although I’ve ridden pretty short boards for my size in the past, I don’t really have the luxury of riding at really nice breaks anymore and need a bird that would do well in smaller, lower energy waves.

Seems like everyone who has replied has just suggested the shortest possible bird stating that I should be fine with it for my ability, experience, apparently discounting anything I wrote about the type of wave I’d be surfing. Sure, I’m competent surfing an 8’2 or 8’6, but if the size and energy isn’t there with the wave, what’s the point of riding a much shorter board?

Sorry for the rant, but I figured writing and including as much I got as possible would help but seems like most of the shapers ignore all that stuff.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »

Its not just shapers.  Listening is a skill not everyone prioritizes.

Here are a couple of boards brought to you by confirmed big cruise-y turn guy Tom Carroll, and credible shaper Blane Chambers. Both boards are big enough and flattish enough to capture low energy, but performance shaped enough to turn. One more than the other. 

9'6 x 32 x 141L

https://shop.surfindustries.com/us/surf/stand-up-paddle-boards/surf-sup/tom-carroll-paddle-surf-loose-leaf-v2-cx-sup/

10 x 32 x 152L

https://shop.surfindustries.com/us/surf/stand-up-paddle-boards/all-rounder/tom-carroll-outer-reef-mx/
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
Here are a couple of boards brought to you by confirmed big cruise-y turn guy Tom Carroll, and credible shaper Blane Chambers. Both boards are big enough and flattish enough to capture low energy, but performance shaped enough to turn. One more than the other. 

9'6 x 32 x 141L

https://shop.surfindustries.com/us/surf/stand-up-paddle-boards/surf-sup/tom-carroll-paddle-surf-loose-leaf-v2-cx-sup/

I was thinking about that Loose leaf as well, I have it on my list for a main board. Similar requirement as OP.
TC was very deliberate about stating the added glide for a performance board at that size.
This design Seems to check those boxes: Wide point forward, Relaxed entry rocker, reasonable volume and promising rails.

Looking for action videos of the bigger sizes. All I've seen was TC on the 8' which is a joy to look at but science fiction to me ;D
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
I like TC boards and great shape and in my opinion, they're not designed to be a stable board to stand still but the rather high-performance board. I've seen a few guys here rips on them from longboard to shortboard.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/910-x-33-turbo-2019.html

ODJ.   Just curious what you think of this shape?

Also there is a 9/4

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 06:43:22 AM »

Also there is a 9/4

Looks like a great shape, but if we’re being honest, those graphics are pretty bad.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 01:32:12 PM »

Also there is a 9/4

Looks like a great shape, but if we’re being honest, those graphics are pretty bad.

Agreed. Those graphics are hard to stomach imo, but Robert has some good boards
In his collection. Good price points and easy delivery.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal