Author Topic: Having trouble choosing a board...  (Read 14035 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble choosing a board...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 10:27:19 AM »
...I checked out the Fanatic Stylemaster. Definitely looks like a very fun board, but definitely a traditional longboard design.

The outline and rocker are classic longboard, but the rails, especially toward the tail are fairly aggressive which gives the board speed off the tail and plenty of bite in the wave.  It is a shade faster (but less maneuverable) than the New Deal.

The Steeze also does look like it would fit the bill.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
I like my kwad, fun and easy board. Gutless waves where I live too.

What size Kwad do you ride and what's your weight if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

I am 170 on 9.1 kwad - this is my go to board for windy choppy bs waves we have on the gulf coast.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:58 AM »
I love my Sunova Steeze. Its 8'10" at 125liters. Also, check out the Sunova Creek. Lots of talk on that one.

I've only been surfing (or SUPing) for 18 months.  I am in a new york city surfer that only knows a beach break, 51yo at 195+ pounds without wetsuit. I surf on the 8'10" Steeze, and boy it catches a lot of mush. I had an 8'10" allwave, and find it corky and slow now.  It took me 5 outings or so to get the balance in chop, but overall I love it.

One other that I was looking into was the Jimmy Lewis SuperFrank, or his new SUP board the Destroyer.

Here is a long review / posting about the Steeze, (which also talks about the jimmy lewis Striker and some other similar shapes.) https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/Sunova-8-10--Steeze---Review?page=1&groupID=10070736

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
have you looked at the infinity new deal or the RNB.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
+1 for the Infinity RNB. After reading your initial post the RNB might be a really good fit. Versatile design, good in small stuff,capable in big stuff, and their construction can't be beat....lightest carbon construction that is still impressively durable. Oh, and I have no connection to Infinity...at all....except that I have a couple of them.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »
https://monterey.craigslist.org/spo/d/monterey-stand-up-paddle-board/6881415749.html

There's a few options on craigs list but you might have to expand the geographic search
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:11:16 PM by paddlejones »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »
^ That Monterey CL board is a Bill Foote board... well respected. Maybe Pono B knows the board. But at that price (or $350 : ) you might discover a real gem. The outline looks good. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
^ +1

I would pick that up just because.
Does seems like a perfect match
For the op. Good find.
in progress...

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »
https://monterey.craigslist.org/spo/d/monterey-stand-up-paddle-board/6881415749.html

There's a few options on craigs list but you might have to expand the geographic search

Just sent an email to the seller. Waiting to hear back.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »
bottom paint might indicate a buckle repair--check it
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »
From memory and I could be wrong
I believe that paddlesurf warehouse did a run of foote boards before they started
Vesl   

I think this was the small shape... this looks like it’s hardly used, I would’ve picked it up but I am having a new roof put on my house. I hope you get it

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »

Just sent an email to the seller. Waiting to hear back.

ODJ

I used to live in the Outer Richmond and surfed Bolinas a lot (Pre-Sup Mid 2000's time frame)

Now living out east, I always thought that was a perfect Sup wave looking back.  I was always on a fish or longboard there. Many times 'hiding' when Ocean Beach was too nutso with size / wind.

As an avid Sup and Surfer now, about your age and a little heavier- I really think the Steeze, Destroyer, Super Frank, RNB style shapes would excel there.

enough volume in the nose to get you into relatively early (In the rolling waves there) But good tail dims to grab a bottom turn or two and still trim, and get a cutback every once in a while.

That said, I've only ridden the Steeze and owned an RNB I think  you'd  be pleased with both.  I think the RNB will cost you more as a custom. But in the long run as you advance will get you further with it, and be able to use it in bigger waves without sacrificing glide into mushier ones. 

Was the shop you were looking at the Jimmy Lewis Boards in San Rafael?  They seem to favor Jimmy Lewis Boards. (Very nice guys and knowledgeable however- I visited last year)

NJS

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 03:11:06 AM »
If you do end up with interest in the RNB, check out their stock, carbon models. They are amazingly light and still strong, I am impressed with them, and I've owned/own a bunch.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 02:56:48 PM »
My 8'5" RNB is light and bomber! And has 133 liters!

Works in slop and juicier waves..
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:00:06 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 05:29:01 PM »
The RNB looks like a really nice board and could fit the bill. The New Deal although a "performance longboard" shape, still looks like it rips, and may be a better match for the smaller, gutless days but would still be a fine board in bigger surf. Decisions, decisions...

I messaged Kirk at L41 and got a quick response. His boards look fantastic, but I really think I'm more of a thruster guy, and his shapes seem to favor more od a fish/simmons/quad setup. Still great looking boards though.

Sent Infinity a message asking their advice on the RNB and The New Deal. I did have Infinity make me a custom race board a few years ago and it was a great experience.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:42:58 PM by ODJ »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal