Author Topic: Having trouble choosing a board...  (Read 13898 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Having trouble choosing a board...
« on: June 05, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »
Getting back into surfing. Live in Northern CA, Bay Area now. Will mostly surf at Bolinas which is small, beach break, low energy most of the time. 43 years old, 190lbs (probably 200lbs with the wetsuit, etc.) and fit. I used to surf in Southern California; Oceanside Hsarbor, Sunset Cliffs, Boneyards..started on a 10'6 King's Knight years ago, the a 9'6 David Craig, then a 9'2 David Craig, 9'0 Tim Stamps and an 8'11 King's Crossover. Haven't surfed in a few years due to living in landlocked states, but have a 14' Bark Dominator I paddle in the bay, harbors, lakes, etc.

Looking for something that isn't necessarily high performance, but also don't want a log. Would be nice to find something in the middle so to speak, that would be good for the small, mushy, low energy days but also would still perform adequately for the occasional bigger day. Don't need anything super aggressive, not doing crazy cutbacks and slashing turns, but would be nice to drop in, make nice bottom turns and carve a little down the line. These days it's more about catching waves and having fun for me.

Checked out a few boards at a local shop today:

Jimmy Lewis Kwad 9'7 (154L)
Jimmy Lewis Hanalei10'8 (160L)
Starboard Widepoint 9'5 (153L)

All of these boards seemed a big big for me and what I used to ride, but these were the recommendations from the shop after a pretty length discussion about my experience and the break(s) I'd be riding out here. Their top recommendation was the 10'8 Jimmy Lewis Hanalei, but it seems like a pretty dated design. Also seems like a massive board, but they swear it's a very maneuverable and fun board. Haven't ridden a surf SUP that big since I started started SUP 8 years ago or so, and have always gone smaller and smaller as I got better, but I also don't have access to the types of breaks I used to surf in SoCal, and I'm older as well. Thoughts and suggestions on a board for a guy my size who's getting back into surfing but really only has access to some pretty mellow beach breaks?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:56:56 PM by ODJ »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble choosing a board...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 02:05:24 PM »
What's the used market look like up there? 

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
What's the used market look like up there?

I've been checking Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and this site, and it's slim pickings. Mostly just junk Chinese boards, generic cruiser boards, no-name garbage, etc.

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
How about a custom off kirk at l41?

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
I like my kwad, fun and easy board. Gutless waves where I live too.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »

The Jimmy Lewis Destroyer, otherwise only available in Australia can, with a little effort, be obtained by us north american continent types. 

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=34394.0

More nose rocker than the Striker, which appeals to me. And it has great reviews. 

https://jimmylewisboards.com.au/collections/surf-sups/products/jl-destroyer-sup-new
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
I like my kwad, fun and easy board. Gutless waves where I live too.

What size Kwad do you ride and what's your weight if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »

I like this board a lot and the price is right.  I'm at 215 and 63.  I've surfed it in everything for the last 12 months.  With a quiver of fins it can ride in almost everything you would be surfing.  I sup surf down south from you near Morro Bay.  I have the Carbon 9'10' model and would recommend it.

https://snowdealsnow.com/collections/featured/products/laird-hamilton-stand-up-surrator-paddle-board-sup-2017-msrp-2000?variant=13744863182893

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »
I sent an email to L41 explaining my background and needs. Seems though like their boards are more high performance oriented, and geared more toward shorter lengths (aside from the traditional longboard shape, which looks similar to the JL Hanalei). I have nothing against Jimmy Lewis boards. I know their construction is second to none and pretty bombproof and way more durable than a lot of other factory-made boards, while still being very light in comparison. I just think the shapes are a bit dated, specially the Hanalei the shop kept suggesting, but really, what do I know? I've been out of the SUP surf loop for several years, plus it;'s marketed as a cruising board that will also surf. Doesn't really seem like it's what I'm looking for, but again, they guy at the shop swore it was a shop employee favorite for all surfing conditions, even bigger days. I've just always gone shorter as I progressed, and going to a 10'4 or 10'8 seems counterintuitive. But then again, I don't have the luxury of having a ton if different breaks to surf and when I'll be going mostly isn't known for very big surf, so maybe the longer, more traditional shape would work. I just don't want to get a shorter, super-performance oriented board that is a dog on smaller days. I always wondered why some guys go out on these minuscule boards on small days and hardly catch anything and work ridiculously hard when you could have just gone out on a prone longboard and had a blast.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 06:43:19 AM »
Looking for something that isn't necessarily high performance, but also don't want a log. Would be nice to find something in the middle so to speak, that would be good for the small, mushy, low energy days but also would still perform adequately for the occasional bigger day.

A 10' Fanatic Stylemaster might be perfect for you.  It leans toward performance longboard but you can still get classic with it.  I'm about your weight and it's my go to board.  I still dust off my 9'6" JL Black and Blue and I'm still trying to find my way on my Infinity 10' New Deal, both fun and excellent boards, just not as forgiving as the Fanatic.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
ODJ,
As a 43 year old, at 190 lbs and fit.... you will be right back where you were in no time.
Don't sell yourself short.... your still a kid!

I spent some time looking at Bolina's surf vids to see what you will be working with..... there looks like plenty of fun waves up there!

Boards have evolved greatly since your last round, so some "rules" have changed.
New shapes rip in comfortable sizes.
Judging from your progression towards shorter, in SoCal.....
I'd say, no need to go too big, unless you now desire the ride of a longer board.

I am 71 yo and 230 lbs.
My "goto" board is 9'4 x 32 at 148 L
it rips in everything from low power 2' chop to DOH and juicy.

Sometimes I love a big board.... but I mostly surf my 9'4 or my  9'0 @ 133 L.... they covered everything on my Portugal trip this winter.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 08:01:52 AM »
Good stuff Rick!  Yes, 43 is very young indeed...

This might be as good place to ask as any, when will you be passing through Jim K's place (you da kine, Extreme Windsurfing in AC) for demos this year?

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »
ODJ,
As a 43 year old, at 190 lbs and fit.... you will be right back where you were in no time.
Don't sell yourself short.... your still a kid!

I spent some time looking at Bolina's surf vids to see what you will be working with..... there looks like plenty of fun waves up there!

Boards have evolved greatly since your last round, so some "rules" have changed.
New shapes rip in comfortable sizes.
Judging from your progression towards shorter, in SoCal.....
I'd say, no need to go too big, unless you now desire the ride of a longer board.

I am 71 yo and 230 lbs.
My "goto" board is 9'4 x 32 at 148 L
it rips in everything from low power 2' chop to DOH and juicy.

Sometimes I love a big board.... but I mostly surf my 9'4 or my  9'0 @ 133 L.... they covered everything on my Portugal trip this winter.

I really appreciate this reply! I was thinking along the same lines, like something 9'2-9'6 with the right amount of volume would be a good all-around for me.

@Bean - I checked out the Fanatic Stylemaster. Definitely looks like a very fun board, but definitely a traditional longboard design. I quickly checked out the Fanatic Allwave though, ,and from the specs and videos I've seen it may be exactly what I'm looking for. the 9'0 Allwave is 159L, keeping in mind that I've for sure had lower volume boards in the past, but the added volume would be appreciated on the smaller days. But Ive also had "shorter" boards with a bunch of volume backed into them and found them feeling too buoyant and corky, then I catch myself thinking a more longboard style board would be better just to maximize wave count and fun factor.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:30:39 AM by ODJ »

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 09:46:02 AM »
Maybe check out the Steeze?

I'm 53, 210 and have only really been surfing on a regular basis for a year and have a limited amount session access here and it's an easy fun ride.

Really versatile; rides mush, nose rides, small stuff, you can turn it off the tail  or be more glidey like I often have to in the low power stuff around here. Wouldn't hesitate to take in larger either.

9-6 145 liters

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:13:49 AM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »