Author Topic: Fastest learning method to Foiling  (Read 10795 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest learning method to Foiling
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 08:13:22 PM »
I struggled a long time learning until I bought a big slow stable wing that could lift my 240 lbs ass reliably in 0.5 ft 8 sec slop (Gong XXL). After that, the learning curve was way easier.

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 04:53:10 AM »
Thank you all guys for the tips and sharing your experiences. It ´ll be a very wet and sweaty summer for me I guess. Can´t wait to make my already ordered Duotone Wing engines wet on a regular SUP board. I hope my windsurf experience from early days will help to find enough push to make some flights on that damn foil. Will see if I need some other pulling device for the take off.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:56:01 AM by Lazz »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 05:17:54 PM »
In my opinion it's best to try it behind a boat first, it's easier than learning in the waves or on an efoil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLN-RfuAgE
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 04:01:33 AM »
So my humble opinion here.

I am in my 50s, surfed most of my life (shortboard).  I learned in the waves.  I am nearing the magical 75th session, this took me to roughly 7 months to accumulate this amount.  Very little prone surfing during that time.  The last 5-10 sessions i have started to feel more comfortable on foil plus starting to cutback and forth.

I think the best recommendation to accelerate the foiling process is:
1 Get a very stable SUP so you can focus on paddling for a wave and getting lift
2 Get a good foil (eg GF IWA)
3 Find an isolated beach with slow mushy small waves with no one around. 
4 i think this is the most important one - get as much time in the water to practice. 

Nothing new above but thats been my experience.

This is 100% correct.

Snap. 55yrs and 80 sessions in and things starting to click

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 05:42:01 AM »
Great video Robert.  Luca has a radio voice.

The fastest way is definitely behind a boat or a jet ski.  No, it is not the only way, but it is the fastest. 

I just went foiling for the first time this weekend.  I was able to fly and now I am hooked. It was behind a boat.  The board was a slingshot alien air kiteboard with the slingshot Fsurf foil on it.  Did not use foot straps. 

I did a lot of what Robert talked about in his video, but I got that information from another video.

I was able to control my flying by about my 4th or 5th try  to where I was able to get my weight to the front and practice bringing the board up and down in control and have rides that were several minutes long.  So within about 15-20 minutes, I was flying.  We had a shorter rope so I did not really get outside the wake. That is one thing I am going to change next time.  You do feel the prop wash a little but nothing bad. Nothing that hindered flying either.  Once I felt in control with the elevations and holding the elevations, I started carving a little right to left with in the wake itself. FUN!  I tried going outside the wake a few times.  Man, you feel that foil accelerate and have to have your weight forward.

With it being the fastest way to learn there is no comparison. Within 30 minutes I was flying in somewhat control.  Getting acclimated to the weight shifting and the feeling of the foil.  75 to 80  wave sessions just to get it "to click". Wow, good on ya.   Beasho has one of the most perfect spots to learn from watching his videos. But I do not and I am sure most others do not.  The advantage of a boat is that you can learn play play with all the adjustments you make with out having to wait for mother nature for good conditions.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »
Flying behind a boat is very manageable.  I taught both my daughters last summer with an under-powered 5 HP on 12' aluminum skiff.

Maximum speed ~ 11 mph with the GoFoil Maliko 200 Wing.  The boat was too slow for the IWA even with the kids.

My 20 year old nephew with extensive water skiing, wakeboarding and snowboarding experience was up and flying the very first pull:

https://youtu.be/pfxgzVyuiw8
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:20:03 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »
My youngest daughter had NO, zero, experience with water skiing or surfing.

She was able to get up and film after a few sessions.  Board was set up goofy foot.  We didn't bother to let her know she was regular foot.

Later on she was carving it UP with the Maliko 200.  I used this clip as evidence that the big wings DO turn when grown men start whining about how they can't turn the massive wings:

https://youtu.be/PKx31uu2DPo?t=58

Here was Macy flying earlier in the summer:

https://youtu.be/LH827k6G0Cs

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:17:53 AM by Beasho »

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
I had a number of tow sessions when I first started. Sure it helped with board control but I found transferring those skills to waves the difficult step :)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
I had a number of tow sessions when I first started. Sure it helped with board control but I found transferring those skills to waves the difficult step :)

Affirmative.  This is like "Learning to Surf" by being pulled behind a boat on a tow rope.

Learning to paddle, controlling the yaw, reading the waves, taking off steep, jumping to surf stance, managing currents, hitting rocks, loss of speed and power in the flats . . . . . a few of the things that the tow-boat isn't going to convey. 

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
Great thread! Appreciating the insight.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »
i think clay said it best in one of his videos...buy a ticket to hawaii for a few days and surf 3 sessions per day 2 to3 hrs each...3 or 4 days youll have mastered  it...and its true...i did exactly that....for both SUP and prone.... it worked great...plus there all kinds of other guys out there to help you learn  together...

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 05:24:47 AM »
The boat is good to find the correct feet positions on your board.  Once you know that you don’t deviate much.
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »
My first time on a foil ever today. I'm hooked!! Selling all my SUPs for down payment on an efoil  ;)
Rode my friend's efoil and got up on first try. Legs were burning though. Luckily soft crashes so far but not going fast yet.

https://youtu.be/h6f9Un6GqkM

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 10:53:30 AM »
This one is almost easy enough for me.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaV9F1sIW8

The problem for someone prone to calamity: remembering instructions when most needed.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal