Author Topic: What to wear to SUP surf in ~65 degree water  (Read 10497 times)

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: What to wear to SUP surf in ~65 degree water
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
I started wearing either jammer swim trunks or compression shorts under my board shorts years ago. Helps a lot with the internal warmth. I have a lot of personal insulation as well. But at 65 degrees i get too warm in a 2mm so im usually in a too and shorts.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
In the NE, trunks and sunscreen.

In SoCal, a 4/3.

😂😂😂

But truthfully that’s a weird transition temp range. Cover your head and keep paddling and I’m alway surprised at what I can get away with, if I’m at the beach. If it’s touring then you need to be more careful and I’d err towards being warmer for sure. I’ve really gotten to where I like a light shell over a rash guard. If I can break the wind I’m good to way lower temps.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 04:12:36 AM »
I never bother with neoprene or tight fitting clothes for flatwater unless conditions are so extremely rough that I think I might fall.

I guess a lot depends on how stable you are on the board. My narrowest flatwater boards were 28 inches wide so I never worried about falling or losing my board.

For flatwater in 65 degree air/water, I would just wear my normal clothes such as shorts, long sleeve tee shirt, maybe a light fleece and carry a windbreaker on deck just in case.
Koredry shirts are excellent if you think you might get wet.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 04:20:59 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 06:06:49 AM »
In the NE, trunks and sunscreen.

In SoCal, a 4/3.

😂😂😂

HAHA this is so true.   My cousins grew up in Manhattan Beach.  I would visit and surf with them and they were in 3/2's when it was legit hot out, and would throw on a flannel after we surfed.   I would be in baggies, and baggies at the cafe after we surfed!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:09:53 AM by NorthJerzSurfer »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 06:35:19 AM »
conditions matter

i will dress for air temps if surf's clean and smaller, and i could easily swim in if necessary

big, less clean?? i overdress for the air temp, in case i end up in the water for a while after a leash break or unexpected turn of events

i deal with being overheated occasionally, in exchange for safety--you will not last long in boardshorts in 60F water temps---65? same thing, unless you are a serious athlete, driven to survive--and even then, survival time would be limited

with a 3/2 it's easy to flush to cool down---my thicker suits are dry so i just deal with the heat---hood down, ill splash my face and head with water for a cooldown---works

floppy sleeves/wide open suits dont work so good ducking waves where there's some size on it

generally, I dress for water temps--in case i need to spend a long time in the water, which can happen
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 09:05:04 AM »
conditions matter

i will dress for air temps if surf's clean and smaller, and i could easily swim in if necessary

big, less clean?? i overdress for the air temp, in case i end up in the water for a while after a leash break or unexpected turn of events

i deal with being overheated occasionally, in exchange for safety--you will not last long in boardshorts in 60F water temps---65? same thing, unless you are a serious athlete, driven to survive--and even then, survival time would be limited

with a 3/2 it's easy to flush to cool down---my thicker suits are dry so i just deal with the heat---hood down, ill splash my face and head with water for a cooldown---works

floppy sleeves/wide open suits dont work so good ducking waves where there's some size on it

generally, I dress for water temps--in case i need to spend a long time in the water, which can happen

Point very well taken. As I am only in my second spring of surfing, I will take this under advice. When it is small and I am not going in the drink a lot I can dress accordingly. But it it gets rough I'll dress more conservatively.  Already I have experienced 2-3 foot waves that were, because of high frequency and amount of chop, quite a challenge both to stand up in as well as get back to shore in front of, even without losing my board.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
it is a bit of a shock when, in big surf, you realize you board is gone!

what i dont do and should, is take care to be able to swim with paddle

some have loops sewn to their suits, i used to carry a piece of cord with which i could tie paddle to my waist

so you can swim like a mofo
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
Like Eastie says, surf size will def play a factor.  4' and up a 3/2 spring or full for 65 deg water. Water temps above that, I'm board shorts, rash guard, and a truckers hat even in OH stuff:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 10:30:14 AM »
I hate wearing a wetsuit to paddle, especially for downwinding, but right now, with the water temp at 59 and the air temperature being highly variable I'm in a full 3/4 for downwinders and foil surfing. Not so I can stay warm when I'm on the board and connected to it, but in the unlikely even that I'm swimming a long distance.

If I hadn't had a somewhat scary and seriously uncomfortable session with hypothermia at the end of last season I'd probably be in tights, boardies, rash guard and paddle jacket--like I was then. But I got a wakeup call. So I'm dressed for the worst case, like Eastie says.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
In those conditions I might use my 2.5 mm farmer john. I like that the farmer john keeps the lower part of my body covered but leaves my arms free.

I like a farmer john wetsuit because it's really versatile. If you pair it with a wetsuit jacket you can use it in a wide variety of temperatures. When things are warmer you leave your shoulders bare. You can use a long sleeve rash guard under the wetsuit too, which works when maybe the jacket is too much.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 03:20:30 AM »
Denim, of course.

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 04:13:22 AM »
Now that I have said my responsible answer above.....

me personally?  I hate rubber and will take every opportunity to avoid it.
As I get older, every little bit helps, so I opt out of wetsuits when the water is above 50*
My guide is air temp and sun.

When everyone else is in full gear, Hoods, boots, gloves.... I am very happy in a 2 mm top.
if sunny and 65 air, just a rash guard.

I can easily handle falling in.... which I do often.
Being big has limited advantages..... this is one.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
Rick,  that's a great picture !

Mon am in Eastham I was sweating in my 5/4 ...  but my bare feet were COLD!!

JP

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »
longsleeve rashie and trunks
yep.
It's around 60 now in So Cal and I'm in a 1 mm LS top and 2 mil shorts beneath trunks or a 2mm long john. At 65 it's just trunks and a paddle shirt.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »
Wore my 4/3 this morning. Cloud cover kept me from overheating. Surf was O.H. so I was swimming a bunch. I was nice to float in. Super fun session surfing Nuc's! Just me and one foiler. I'm sure the man in the grey suit was under foot. They love the reef at Nuc's. One of the local sup surf chicks was putting the 'eye stickers' on the bottom of her board ::)  Hey if it makes you feel safer, why not....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal