Author Topic: What to wear to SUP surf in ~65 degree water  (Read 10496 times)

IslandRob

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
What to wear to SUP surf in ~65 degree water
« on: June 03, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »
Cold(er) water Noob question here:

What do people recommend wearing to SUP surf where the water is around ~65 degs and the air is 65-70? I have a fair amount of experience (in tropical conditions :) ) so I don't expect to be floundering in the water and realistically expect to stay out of the water and on the board for almost all of the session. Not terribly excited about piling on the neoprene, but rather be safe that sorry.

What's the gear to have?
-Rob

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: What to wear to SUP surf in ~65 degree water
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 02:42:39 AM »
Here in NH I wear a Hyperflex 2.5mm longsleeve spring suit for those conditions. Sometimes I wear trunks and a Koredry shirt over that and people can't even tell that I'm wearing a wetsuit.

https://hyperflexusa.com/product/vyrl-ls-back-zip-spring/
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:54:31 AM »
Those are the temps that I have right now. If the air temp is going higher in the sun I'm using a shortie, legs and arms. It's 2mm thick.
For the early 7am go I'm in a full 2mm. And just about to put that away till fall.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »

What do people recommend wearing to SUP surf where the water is around ~65 degs and the air is 65-70? I have a fair amount of experience (in tropical conditions :) ) so I don't expect to be floundering in the water and realistically expect to stay out of the water and on the board for almost all of the session. Not terribly excited about piling on the neoprene, but rather be safe that sorry.

What's the gear to have?
-Rob

Hi Rob,

I hear you on not wanting to wear rubber, I avoid it at all costs  ;D
but:
Each person it is different.
People from a cold water area, may have a built up a tolerance to the cold.
Folks from warmer climates are usually more sensitive to the cold.
Sun is a big factor as well.

Experiment with light rubber at first, you will find your comfort level very quickly.

Note:
if you are paddling offshore or surfing where you may be separated from your board,
always wear a wetsuit that will protect you for a longer period of time.

An interesting guide I found when researching for a broad-spectrum answer this thread.

From the National Center for Cold Water Safety:
http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html

Cold water
Controlling your breathing and holding your breath becomes progressively more difficult as water temperature falls as water temperature falls from 70°F to 60°F (21°C to 15°C).

Fact: Cold shock is as extreme between 50-60F (10-15C) as it is at 35F (2C). 

Most people who are unaccustomed to cold water will experience a maximum cold shock response somewhere between 50-60F (10-15C).
For some individuals, this happens at 57F (14C), for others, the peak occurs at 52F (11C) and so on.

This means that an unprotected immersion in this temperature range will cause most people to completely lose control of their breathing – they will be gasping and hyperventilating as hard and fast as they can.
Since cold shock reaches its maximum intensity between 50-60F (10-15C), it can’t get any more intense at lower water temperatures.
In other words, breathing control, once completely lost, cannot be lost to a greater degree.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »

What do people recommend wearing to SUP surf where the water is around ~65 degs and the air is 65-70?
Really? That's boardshorts weather conditions as far as I'm concerned. But being in SoCal maybe our 65O is a little warmer than elsewhere...cuz I can't remember the last time I was in a full suit. 

When it gets "cold" I'm either wearing sleeves and boardshorts, or a short sleeve spring suit....good incentive not to fall in.  ;D

EDIT: But as creek said, "Each person it is different"...so just wear what's comfortable to YOU!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:00:58 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:03:36 AM »
That's a wild chart, Rick...   Jeez!  55f in Lk Michigan as a kid was summer water.  Needless - we did not stay in long or do 'real swimming'.  We see people here in the mid-Atlantic in full suits when 'everybody' is skinning it; they are often from FL.  Thin rubber makes a great sunblock. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »

What's the gear to have?
-Rob

Just did this today in NY.  I wore a shortie wetsuit. Was perfect. I was out the week before when the water was a bit colder in my 3/2 wetsuit, and it was too hot, which I hated.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
Here on the upper Texas coast, I've done a lot of wade fishing wearing long quick drying pants, long sleeve quick drying shirt, tennis shoes and a flats hat with a 5" brim. Caught lots of, southern flounder, speckled trout (weakfish for the East Coasters on here) and redfish (red drum).

Even though I only weigh 146 pounds, the minimum water temperature for me is 66 degrees F since I don't shiver in this water temperature. At  65 degrees F, I start to shiver. So I have a "built in thermostat" to let me know how warm the water temperature really is. I do not wear a wetsuit.

There are plenty of places on the web to where I go and which will give me a very close temperature reading of the water. An example is at the link below.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

One of my favorite places to sup surf at is Surfside, Texas which is a hop and a skip away from the city of Freeport, Texas. There is a NOAA weather station in the Surfside Ship Channel. The Surfside Ship Channel sits inbetween the Surfside Jetty and the Quintana Jetty. The link to the station is below.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=fpst2

As of this posting, the beach water temperature is around 85 degrees F.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »

What's the gear to have?
-Rob

Hi Rob,

A few other factors are wind, sun and, umm, personal insulation.  This chart nails it for me except usually trunks for the top two temp categories.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:53:37 AM by Admin »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 09:59:29 AM »
I was out the week before when the water was a bit colder in my 3/2 wetsuit, and it was too hot, which I hated.

Sunrise in summer is often chilly where I am so I sometimes need a full suit in the morning, but as the day heats up, it gets too hot. When this happens, I just pull down the top half of my suit and let the arms dangle while I surf.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:45:10 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
62 degree air temperature and sunny (and not too windy) => board shorts no rubber,
This is with water temp maybe from 52 on up, but I don't spend much time in the water
- mostly water temp is 55 or higher. This is for surfing - so pretty close to shore.

Overcast and/or windy is trickier.
I've got a 1.5 mm vest I may wear.
Too cold for that a 1.5-2mm zip T-top I like.
I also have wetsuit shorts that I wear if cold or if waves are big for extra float.

Colder than that a 3/2 full suit - its a triathlon suit which is extra stretchy & floaty.

You "need" a quiver of rubber.
 ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:16:46 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »
A few other factors are wind, sun and, umm, personal insulation.  This chart nails it for me except usually trunks for the top two temp categories.

Agree - most places do require trunks.  ;D

A couple of things I have that isn't on there is a 4mm vest and lycra pile trunks. The vest is something I rarely plan to wear but is easy to pull on if I miscalculated. Keeping the core warm helps a lot. It does work better for kayaking, which I originally got it for, than SUP. The lycra pile shorts don't suffer as much evaporative cooling as regular trunks and the black ones I have really soak in sunshine heating. I am proud to have little in the way of personal insulation these days and I'll be in the 3mm farmer john at 70 or below unless the air temp and sunshine are providing quick heating and I am near shore.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 11:24:16 AM »

Agree - most places do require trunks.  ;D

Hah!  Let me modify to just trunks. 

IslandRob

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
Thanks. So anything from naked to a full 2mm.  :)

"Personal Insulation" will now going forward be a part of my vocabulary.  Just paid Ripcurl a visit and a 1.5mm LS top and board shorts (maybe throw in some wetsuit shorts) is what I'm going with.

-R

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 07:14:28 PM »
longsleeve rashie and trunks
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal