Author Topic: buying a used foil  (Read 2013 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
buying a used foil
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
What to look for when buying a used gofoil or similar?
can damage be hard to see or is it obvious?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: buying a used foil
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:16:34 AM »
GoFoils are pretty hard to damage, and if they have been the result is obvious. I've heard of people breaking the wing attachment off the mast. I can't imagine a repair for that you couldn't spot immediately. My wings are badly scratched up--they still work fine. I've sanded and painted my M200 a few times and it's back to looking horrible again only now it shows three colors of paint. Most GoFoils you see on the market are because the owner tried it and decided the dues were too expensive. As you probably have figured out following the threads, this takes some commitment to make progress.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:14:38 AM »
TooLate

My question is why are you looking at Gofoils ? Good folks definitely avant guard designs in their time. They are not transferable (Folks are always buy complete GoFoils rather than upgrading components)

I'm not Nay saying GoFoil just wondering a school a thought Yoou can get great NEW foils from KeNalu (site sponsor worth supporting) and Slingshot (just to name 2) for under $700 complete and they and upgradeable

I don't want to start a Flame war with the GoFoil faithful I'm just saying there are options

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »
I don't want to start a Flame war with the GoFoil faithful I'm just saying there are options.
I'm sort of one of those "GoFoil faithful" simply because I've had nothing but great success with their products (both in performance and especially durability) for the past year+ of very regular use now. But that said, hard to argue with some of the points you bring up (incapability of upgrading components as I've groused about previously), and as is being talked about in the "Starting over" thread...there are now several other really good choices out there besides GF.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
Well, I think the obvious answer is 'because there are plenty of used Go Foils on the market'.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 04:24:50 PM »
Well, I think the obvious answer is 'because there are plenty of used Go Foils on the market'.

Yup.

And as long as you get a reasonable set (like Iwa, M200 or Kai, Iwa, M200 if you're light) then you're set. If you get something people have less experience with you might struggle with the setup while you're still learning to get up--you may not be able to tell whether the problem is the foil combination or you. It's nice to be able to focus on just one thing when you're trying to master the basics. In my experience the GoFoils are a lot easier to learn on than other foils, and they are a lot less likely to injure you than some of the foils I've seen people struggle with. But there's no reason to consider them just to be a starter set. Some of the best foilers I know are on GoFoils and see no reason to change. I wouldn't be farting around with Axis if I didn't want to do something kind of ridiculous. I'm fine with my GoFoils, in fact I haven't gotten the Axis stuff wet yet. When I went to the coast last week I took my tried and true M200 and Iwa.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 12:00:22 AM »
yep

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal