Author Topic: Tail shim vs mast position in tracks  (Read 2327 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tail shim vs mast position in tracks
« on: May 22, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »
I’m trying to understand the difference between shimming the tail versus moving the mast in the tracks.

My assumption is moving the mast simply adjusts the “balance point”, i.e. where your body weight must be centered over. More speed means more lift, so the faster you go, the more forward you must bias your weight.

Tail shimming...I assume the tail angle controls how much lift the wing generates. More speed also means more lift and the corresponding need to bias weight forward. But I think the tail angle mostly shifts the speed/weight shift relationship?  Meaning you now need more speed to generate the necessary lift which might have the effect of desensitizing the foil in pitch?

I learn by analyzing, and probably over analyzing ;D things but I’m curious to learn how or what the difference is between these two factors.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tail shim vs mast position in tracks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »
Still curious about the questions above but have another more specific question. When trying to find the best position to mount the foil in the tracks, is the position very sensitive?  Today was the second day on a new board. The first day I had the mast in the middle of the tracks and had trouble keeping the foil under control. Today, I moved it back...maybe 1/2” from all the way back. Seemed to make a big difference, probably too much. Conditions were different today so hard to tell what’s going on.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
I started with my mast all the way back, and then slowly moved it forward about 1/2 inch to an inch at a time.  It definitely makes a big difference. 

I haven't adjusted the tail wing and am also curious as to what effect it has and how it differs from just moving the mast forward and back.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 01:06:31 AM »
Anyone?  I’m surprised that no one has commented. I’m really curious to understand what the tail angle does. I’m quite familiar with how an airplane flies but just can’t wrap my head around how changing the tail angle will affect the foil.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
I don't know...since I ride a Go Foil that's not adjustable w/o just shimming the baseplate that's done on occasion to level the foil/fuselage to the deck to make everything fly more level in the air, instead of looking like they're do a wheelie down the line the whole time.

Had some friends fiddling with the Naish adjustable tail early on...but that just seemed to just another added component and delay in them eventually finding the right setup after way too much tinkering. Not sure if that played into it, but all eventually went to the Go Foil, stopped messing with it, and called it good.

JMO having never had one, but seeing my friends frustrated by them...I see it more as a gimmick than actual necessity. But again, that's speaking from just outside observation, and not from any actual experience with one. So I hope someone can give you a much more informed and better answer than that. Good luck...

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal