Author Topic: Starting over  (Read 3547 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Starting over
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »
I've asked this on another forum, just wondering what everyone would choose...

Imagine you just lost all your gear. It got stolen or broke and now you need to start from scratch. What foil would you buy? Knowing what you know now, what wings are available or about to be released, what would you get? You can't get a bro deal, or cheap from a friend. You're paying full retail. What's your choice and why?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting over
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
Kind of difficult question because I've only really ridden Go Foils (which I have no complaint other than components aren't/weren't interchangeable), but IF I had to start all over again...I'd definitely take a long hard look at Gong foils since they have a close resemblance to the Go Foil wings, they are definitely interchangeable, and their price points are certainly enticing.

My only question would be...do they ship them to the U.S., and if they do, would the cost of that negate the great prices for them in if I were in Europe. Other than that, I think I'd be a buyer of Gong over GF if "starting over" today.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »
I answered on the surfer forum in a similar way. Starting out new to the sport. Gong for sure. They take off the VAT (Europe taxes?) and that's similar to the shipping cost. I've priced it at $450 shipped to my door in Los Angeles.

Axis for all the interchangeability if I had to buy all new equipment today though.

Signature if money is no object. (money is an object)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »
Fanatic due to the interchangability, number and size of wings etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
Gong. Dirt cheap and a full range of wing sizes. I got a setup with the two largest wings, tuttle and plate fittings. Shipping to Hawaii was a little over $200 and the whole set up was still less than $800. They are running a sale now and it would be even cheaper if I had to reorder. Some people may have progressed beyond these entry level foils, but I haven't yet and I'll probably always keep the XXL wing on hand for the super small days at White Plains.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:44:21 PM »
Gong or Axis. Gong for price, Axis for engineering. And I'd get Dave Kalama to duplicate Mr. Fugly, only make it 7' even and 31 inches wide with Mr. Fugly's very forgiving nose and tail. Simply put, Mr. Fugly rocks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:47:09 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:20:19 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByA_EEdH8dl/?igshid=by2m7ueo932k

$895 with maybe the stiffest mast out there. A stiff mast is key to your boards stability. Great wings too. Extra carbon wings $299 each and light.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:23:30 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 07:50:39 AM »
Keahi is on Neil Prydes high aspect glider style wing. Done less radical than the Albatross style. It looks to flow nicely in the turns. Maybe less quirky?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 07:29:45 PM »
The price is certainly interesting on the Neil Pryde. I liked the looks of the mast but chose Axis for the attachment of fuselage to wing. I wasn't to make a lot of wings once I get my CNC router working well and that attachment looks to make for a strong wing from the fundamentally crappy way I plan to build my prototype wings.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 11:04:45 PM »
how about the Lift foils? Some kids out on them the other days swore by them

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 03:27:44 AM »

There is an interesting split in wing design philosophy. Some are in the camp of thick wings, big fat rounded leading edges, draft forward. GoFoil, Neil Pryde, etc.

Then others are in the thin camp, sharp-ish leading edges, draft back. Slingshot, Lift, Etc.

Hard to know who’s right, or are both right....I like Slingshot wings for windsurfing and Neil Pryde for surfing.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 07:22:12 PM »
I'd have to try out Angledfoils if I had to start over.

But at my newb skill level GONG has been good. I like to experiment and their parts prices are nice. 4 surf wings and 3 mix and matching...

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »

Lift foil are good but mostly for small prone board. The new bigger winf might be good for sup.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal