Author Topic: Wingsurf Foiling - How low a Windspeed is possible?  (Read 34411 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wingsurf Foiling - How low a Windspeed is possible?
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
I'm going to try one tomorrow. I'd do a second session today but I went home for a little break and some nutrition and walked in on the birthday party Diane was having for a friend of hers. Three beautiful women drinking martinis. What to do?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 05:44:46 PM »
That's a pretty tall mast the Gong folks are using. Hmm... the bigger the wing, the more mast area needed?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
No, the tall mast helps with overfoiling and big swell. I've been using a 24" mast and it was a bitch, I kept hitting the crests of the swells.

I had a good day today, the wind at the hook was fairly steady, about 20mph with gusts a little higher. I was able to foil in both directions, regular and switchfoot. My switchfoot runs didn't last very long and resulted in some spectacular crashes, but I was able to do it better than expected.

Good progress.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 03:52:40 AM »
Great, I'll use the 29.5 mast. Received notice that the wing will ship today. Bird island trips soon. Yay!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2019, 04:05:03 AM »
Great, I'll use the 29.5 mast. Received notice that the wing will ship today. Bird island trips soon. Yay!

With the Tuttle to plate converter it ends up at 33.5 inches.  I am not sure if that is good or bad but it is what I've got. 

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2019, 05:02:24 AM »
With the Tuttle to plate converter it ends up at 33.5 inches.  I am not sure if that is good or bad but it is what I've got.

Caught some chest to head from TS Barry with light side off conditions this past weekend. Breached a couple of times with the 29.5....scary! I might follow your lead and also get the converter to get some extra height and foil placement while winging it.

Are you finding board length helps with lift off or tracking upwind while shloging? We got hold of the shop demo for an afternoon and set it up with DW's 5'11" Falcon, 24" mast and 280. Wind was 10-15 mph. After 2 hours of playing around and many "walks of shame", I was able to track back upwind to the launch. Was unsuccessful at foiling with the 4.2 wing....that 7 meter looks like it might help here in our low wind environment.

BTW, DW's board ROCKS! Can't believe how stable it is for this 215lb geezer!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2019, 05:20:14 AM »

Caught some chest to head from TS Barry with light side off conditions this past weekend. Breached a couple of times with the 29.5....scary! I might follow your lead and also get the converter to get some extra height and foil placement while winging it.

Are you finding board length helps with lift off or tracking upwind while shloging? We got hold of the shop demo for an afternoon and set it up with DW's 5'11" Falcon, 24" mast and 280. Wind was 10-15 mph. After 2 hours of playing around and many "walks of shame", I was able to track back upwind to the launch. Was unsuccessful at foiling with the 4.2 wing....that 7 meter looks like it might help here in our low wind environment.

BTW, DW's board ROCKS! Can't believe how stable it is for this 215lb geezer!

Hi Surf,

I would love to see a pic of your board.  Post it up!

I just switched down to my 6'6 Slingshot board and only have one session on it.  Chan switched down to her 5'10.  It went better than expected.  With really gusty winds we were making reaches across the swell/current line (trying not to foil) and working on foiling on the far side (no current).  My board is a little harder to knee start from but it is actually easier to manage when schlogging because the chop and current don't mess with it as much.  That is a big issue here. I look at the real 5.0 conditions and the long stretches of flat water in that Gong video with envy.  We are not getting that here.  The boards are comparatively light so we are actually fighting early foiling.  They are short enough that there is a very small range of foot positions that will work without overweighting the tail or digging the nose.  We had tried the foils further back on our "old" boards and that helped a little.  We are going to try one wing size down on the smaller boards as these are foiling even easier.  We are looking for a feeling that we are initiating foiling rather than getting foiled.  In my very limited experience I think you will have a hard time foiling a 4.2 in 10-15.  That seems about the minimum for the sport as a beginner.  My 5 is perfect at 12-17 (I am 165 lbs).  That may change as we all add experience.  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:28:01 AM by Admin »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 06:09:34 AM »
  That may change as we all add experience.  :)

I sure hope so. :) I can just imagine fighting the chop to get going. We have the Texas City Dike where you can ride close to 5 miles in flat water. Sadly, the wind doesn't blow the right direction frequently enough.

Here's a pic of DW's board...the owner let me borrow it while he was out of the country.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2019, 06:13:09 AM »
BTW, that's my windowlicker in the pic that was built by my Deadbeat buddy. He builds for the fun of it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »
Great progress for a single day in light wind Surfside. Going upwind with these wings is tricky, but once you get it, it makes sense and gets easier. The most efficient position for upwind without foiling puts the wingtip close to the water--very easy to drag the tip which is hard to recover from once it starts dragging. I pump the wing lightly when going upwind off the foil, which makes a wingtip drag easier to recover from since you are already lifting it when the drag happens. That will all sound like babble to anyone who hasn't tried a wing, but probably makes sense to those that have.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
Thanks, I'll apply that technique next time. My ah ha moment was the straightening of the forward arm with slight torso rotation towards the nose. I am looking forward to it getting easier....
Also the spot I was at is leeward of a low lying island. Water depth is waist to chest. Location helped a lot I'm sure :)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2019, 03:22:58 PM »
  That may change as we all add experience.  :)

I sure hope so. :) I can just imagine fighting the chop to get going. We have the Texas City Dike where you can ride close to 5 miles in flat water. Sadly, the wind doesn't blow the right direction frequently enough.

Here's a pic of DW's board...the owner let me borrow it while he was out of the country.

Sweet!  I like the strap placement.  I put a front strap on my board and I am loving that.  I am finding it really helpful for take offs (the landings are pretty much the same :)).  I am going to try the back strap as well.  Mine are just straight up the stringer (only option). 

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 05:53:50 PM »

Sweet!  I like the strap placement.  I put a front strap on my board and I am loving that.  I am finding it really helpful for take offs (the landings are pretty much the same :)).  I am going to try the back strap as well.  Mine are just straight up the stringer (only option).

Great! Yeah, they're spot on for surfing but I like the straight up the stringer for winging or what Robby has in his latest video.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B0OWmwpHFj2/?igshid=13nivpbona8o8
Kane on the GL-240 with Big Mike’s 4’11

These wings sure look like the future to me.

Big Mike said Kane rode for 13 minutes like that, then got bored and stopped. He never paddled. He launched from the beach too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:32:55 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2019, 05:51:20 AM »
This vid show the F-one Swing in action.  This may be the most reduced wing out there.  Very minimal and I imagine very light.  The F-one team is riding these with tiny boards and straps in higher wind, boosting big airs, and making it look great.  This shows a much lighter day and a full float board.  4.2 wing and an 1800 water wing.  Those seem like very smart sizes.  Something right between an M-200 and a Iwa sounds delightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw0Q6CcFHeU

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal