Author Topic: Beachbreak Foiling  (Read 1722 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Beachbreak Foiling
« on: May 30, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
Despite a fairly wimpy wave forecast I decided to go to the Oregon Coast to foil for a couple of days. Diane and Zack went so we stayed in a very nice place in Cannon Beach rather than whatever grim dive I would have opted for. It's always more fun when Diane comes along, for many reasons, not the least of which is first class accommodations. I'm too cheap to do that for myself.

I got to Indian Beach at about 6:00 and realized I could have slept in, or at least had breakfast. the tide was coming in, and what little surf there was looked to be breaking in a foot of water. But I rigged, and took my stuff down the stairs and trail to the beach. It didn't look much better from the sand, but I gave it a shot and decided at the very least i needed the 24" mast. Rigged that and started catching a few waves and trying to stay in the power.

As the water got deeper the waves got better--there were a few chest high and very rarely something I could legitimately call head high. I foiled for about an hour, took a break to drink some water, and went back out. Forgot to zip my wetsuit back up. Nice shot of icewater down the spine. I was getting braver with the length of the runs, pumping high and keeping my wing off the sand, then finally I bashed the wingtips on sand in about ten inches of water. the board stopped dead, I didn't, and I landed in a few inches of water.

I decided I was probably going to break my neck if I kept that up.

Today, on the way home we swung by Pacific City and I almost convinced myself to give it another go even though the waves were even smaller. I think it will be a better place to foil the next time there's some bigger surf. The sandbars set up pretty far out and then the waves reform, kind of a very cold version of Ka'a. The purpose of the trip was to convince myself it will be fun to foil on the Oregon Coast. Mission accomplished. It's going to be a good summer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beachbreak Foiling
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »
“ Kind of a very cold version of Ka’a “  :o

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
I would like to see that! Ever consider a SS? Sounds like it was a good session.
At this stage I can't even imagine getting back on foil. 12 weeks benched now w/bum shoulder.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »
Pono, hit me up when you come back. I am foiling close to PC.
-red

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »
Will do. It's probably going to be a couple of weeks though next weekend looks kind of promising.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal