Author Topic: Things Ain't What They Used To Be  (Read 12442 times)

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Things Ain't What They Used To Be
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 07:24:06 AM »
Hope you recover very soon.    :)
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »
Can't believe I forgot to mention the xTuf(S) shaft, which is the closest thing to paddle therapy I've found. Definitely get that paddle shorter--no more than six inches over your head. It will feel crappy and powerless at first, but you'll adapt. My shoulders have so many operation scars that you could play tic-tac-toe on them, but paddle technique, shaft choice and length keep them strong (except for lifting stuff overhead) and relatively pain-free. Don't lean forward to reach, bend your knees. Push down with your upper hand while you keep your lower arm straight. Add power by twisting your core and as you near the end of the stroke use your feet and those bent knees to shove forward. Weird finish, a little tricky to master, and it's optional, but it will kick you into waves that you were going to miss. Note that the only pressure you'll putting on your shoulder should be pushing down with the upper hand, which is easy on the joint. If you just sit in your chair and contrast the two movements--pushing down with a straight lower arm and twisting your core vs. pulling with your arms you'll notice a clear difference in shoulder feel. It makes my shoulder hurt just to fake the arm-pulling stroke.

Practice that just a little in flat water until you can get it all together, then try it in a wave--easy money to catch waves with that technique, and you don't have to paddle so hard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »
Try some weed before bed, if you dare---tiny amounts at first. Watch the depression. enjoy family, music, friends. Post a little music here. Take care---overwhelmed? reach out
Thanx, eastie. I did try the weed thing but vaped it. Doesn't help a whole lot w/the pain. I think edibles might be more effective. Not like we have access to it here in NJ. Well, not easily anyways.
My mindset to avoid bummin' out (aka as depression) has been exactly what you suggested.

CBD oil, but two things that are at least worth a try before you go under the knife:
1. Cut that paddle! That's probably not helping whatever underlying issue you have. 
2. Try active release therapy, I thought it was bs, and it completely fixed my shoulder issues.

Thanx, APPST. I know that Rivie camo is too long. And I so remember you telling my that a while ago. I left that one home for my CA trip this past winter and took my Kialoa Methane. Which is WAY more surf friendly. I pretty much relegated the camo paddle to flat water/inlet crossings. But I wanted to try the camo out that last sesh to test the Bean repair. Held strong. btw- That Rivie camo paddle feels like a 2x4 compared to the sleekness of the Methane.
And thanx for the release therapy suggestion. Never heard of it. Wonder if it's effective in advanced arthritis cases.

Hope you recover very soon.    :)
Thanx, supnsurf. I hope so too!

Get that paddle shorter--no more than six inches over your head. 
Actually the Rivie camo paddle is an inch shorter than me. But it still feels too long and cumbersome. The round shaft and not-so-user-friendly blade shape has a lot to do w/it. I'll check out that body torque technique next time out. But it might be a while.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:15:22 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
I thought I posted a 'sorry to hear' earlier  ...but, 'Sorry to hear', Marc.  Nightwing had shoulder surgery and posted about it ...some nuggets there likely.  I am not convinced of the palliative effects of Weed/oils.  I lined up with every junkie in MD to get a 'license to toke'.  (the state now has photos, addresses, and signatures of the bulk of the 'users' in this state...  D'uh?!)

Anyway, I normally sleep pretty well - thru pain. I only 'use' at night, so I cannot tell if it really makes much difference. My grandson played water polo with a kid in CA who swam in Rio.  This kid swears by a 50/50 tincture he rubs on specific pain sites.

Be careful with Gummies - they're easy, candy, but lotsa people go ..."Well?!" ..' pop another.  I gather impatient youngsters become inpatient admits ...when the c'hit kicks in.  A vape pen you can feel in a very short period, the edibles take as long as a half-hour and are usually low-dose.

If you are 'suggestible', by all means, get anything ...the more elicit, the better it seems to work.  I think the science still favors one of the forms of Naproxen for basic pain.

Unlike a lot of people welded to chairs at the beach, you're strong, you'll get better.

Jim   
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 07:02:13 AM »
Bone on bone. I don't think there's much you can do except for replacement. NSAIDS and a training program that strengthens the deltoids and as mentioned a shorter paddle and improved technique. Be wary of those injections.

Aging is an extreme sport in itself and not for pussies.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 07:12:29 AM »
 "Aging is an extreme sport in itself and not for pussies."

Phrase of the day!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 10:17:41 AM »
If you are 'suggestible', by all means, get anything ...the more elicit, the better it seems to work.  I think the science still favors one of the forms of Naproxen for basic pain.

Yup, I like CBD for background level, and Aleve for specific pain when I've done something foolish--like a two and a half hour brutal downwinder in ridiculous Columbia River current--not that I'd be so stupid as to do that. Again. Though the wind looks pretty good this morning.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2019, 08:25:19 AM »
Marc,  This is an old one, and a bit like it is 'selling' shoulder replacements, but has some insights.

http://podbay.fm/show/1247519960/e/1434639600?autostart=1

Here's a 'surfing' specific podcast.

http://podbay.fm/show/1247519960/e/1515678959?autostart=1

Jim

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2019, 02:06:35 PM »
I've taken to biking at least 10 miles a day after whatever landscaping work I had on my plate that day. Recently scored a really nice Cannondale Adventure comfort style road bike specifically for this activity. It gives me (almost) the same feeling of adventure as paddling a sup. Only $300 on Craigslist. Thing is practically brand new. Also I did surf my big sup again the another day for about an hour. Took it real easy and caught a few waist highs. I think OH surf might be way to stressful on the shoulder and not even considering paddling out if it gets big. Was curious as to the effectiveness of sport tape on the shoulder. saw it at CVS and it's worth considering I feel.

Nightwing had shoulder surgery and posted about it
Be careful with Gummies - they're easy, candy, but lotsa people go ..."Well?!" ..' pop another.   I think the science still favors one of the forms of Naproxen for basic pain. Unlike a lot of people welded to chairs at the beach, you're strong, you'll get better.
Thanx, Jim. I'll seek NW's shoulder experience for sure. I listened to both the podcasts you posted. Very interesting. Yea, the gummies are WAY to easy to keep eating. The ones I had were super weak at like 5mg ea. Truthfully four at once didn't even relieve the pain. Naproxen in the form of Aleve always tears into my stomach BIG TIME, but at this point I'm willing to give them another try. Advil ain't doin' sh!t!

Bone on bone. I don't think there's much you can do except for replacement. Be wary of those injections.
Thanx, supsurf. I'm thinking the same exact thing(s).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:24:05 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »
yep, cookie, use those nsaid's gingerly--they are corrosive as hell

i used to call advil vitamin a--big mistake--i got serious stomach pain from them once and havent taken since---pain was scary

keep riding--you need your cardio and general fitness to remain in good order, in case of surgery, and so youre peripherally strong when you go to try out the rehabbed joint again, surgery or not

if surgery is a go? keep the bike and get good guidance re prehab specific to your situation--and be religious--so much of the result will relate to the condition youre in when you get cut

if you get cut--hope you can feel better and get back in the ocean without--but youll have to do what will work

and, dude, after you get through this, really sort out what specific paddle technique will prevent future issues, and pay up if your paddles aint optimal for your shoulder

good luck--hang in there--ocean aint going anywhere--youll be back
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
Careful with that saddle, Marc  ...you'll develop ladies' butt.  I wish I had (took) more time; I have a 7 mi loop with no traffic at home. A ride is a nice break from the noise.

Jim

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »

Hate hearing about the pain your going through.  You got some good advice here.  I had rotator cuff surgery 3 years ago after a nasty sup surfing wipe out.  Heres the good news...if you have to have some type of surgery to fix this thing you will be down for a while but you will be back!  I was out of the water for about 9 months. 

I bought a craigslist stationary bike and rode that thing practically everyday while in rehabilitation.  I don't know if you read music but I took up the chromatic harmonica and taught myself how to read music while I was down all those months.  You'll find something...maybe photography, more music or a similar hobby to keep you busy.

Please keep posting here.  We all really enjoy your videos and photos.

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
That stinks...

All I can say is good luck and don't wait too long. You put it off and work around it and it may just get worse over time anyway. My father in law needs both knees replaced, has for years but put it off and now is too old and scared at his age to go under the knife and can barely get around.

Bikes are good therapy though and you can rocket down the causeway! We used to do that all the time as kids there.

Wish you well..
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
Here you go, Marc.  ...' may as well start to learn 'what they know'.  This is a pretty good resource for many basics.

https://thecurbsiders.com/podcast/124-the-shoulder-simplify-your-approach

Jim

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
Here you go, Marc.  ...' may as well start to learn 'what they know'.  This is a pretty good resource for many basics.

https://thecurbsiders.com/podcast/124-the-shoulder-simplify-your-approach

Jim
Interesting that labral tears are not mentioned. I have had that in both shoulders. I also had a badly torn rotator cuff on one. Both had bone spurs, scar tissue and "loose matter". Both were scoped and are in better shape now. I got the shots a number of times over the course of many years; that's a short term fix that can weaken tendons over time.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal