Author Topic: Things Ain't What They Used To Be  (Read 12436 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Things Ain't What They Used To Be
« on: May 29, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
 No excuse for my total lack of absence here on forum. Might have something to do w/me trying my hardest not to slip into a state of depression. Haven't surfed since 3/4/19 when I hurt my right shoulder. Longest ever for me outa the water since my early teens. Too painful and after two sets of x-rays from two different orthopedics I've been diagnosed w/advanced arthritis in right shoulder. Rotator cuff damage has been ruled out thanx to an MRI (I was diagnosed w/an underlying tear in July, 2008). So I go in for a sonogram guided cortisone shot this Friday (5/30). Had em before and once there was such a bad reaction in 2008 I had to check into the ER the pain was so bad. Cortisone flair up was so extreme I was given a shot of dilaudid in the butt. Put me right out for like 5 hrs and upon awaking the pain was totally gone. Should mention I was in a total state of narcosis and had to have someone come get me and drive me home. That shoulder injection is WAY scary and not looking forward to getting another one. Hopefully it'll relieve the pain I've been hunkering through for weeks and weeks now. Looks like shoulder replacement might be in my future.
   And to make matters worse I walked into the nozzle wand of my power washer and my ankle has been effed up for like a week now. Mighta fractured it. Then while operating said power washer a female carpenter bee stung me right effin' directly on the swollen bit of the ankle and got me good. Needless to say that was a few steps in the wrong direction to healing up.
  May is my busiest month for landscaping when I have to get all my accounts ready by Memorial day and I've been trudging through the work tirelessly, rarely even checking the surf. At least it's been keeping me busy.
So things definitely ain't what they used to be.
Stay stoked cuz I sure have lost mine.
Thax Zoners
surfercook/Marc

X-Ray image w/arrow pointing to shoulder joint worn down to bone.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:46:41 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Things Ain't What They Used To Be
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 08:04:02 AM »
My thoughts are with you
Take care of yourself
You'll be out in the lineup soon
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »
Your missplaced stoke will find it's way back to you my friend...keep the faith!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:14:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing what you’re (temporarily!) going through... speedy recovery, man.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »
Thoughts and prayers are going out to you.  It's hard to keep the depression at bay when you can't go out and do the things you love. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »
Its not much consolation, but the slowness of summer is upon us and hopefully you can rehab with an eye out on the fall waves!

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:53:07 AM »
This setback shall pass too. Hopefully just in time when no wetsuit required.

I always go back and watch my vids and try making new edits of previous material if
I can't get on the water, sometime even improve my editing skills. Just an idea.

Be well.
in progress...

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »
feel better Cook!    the waters off NJ miss you.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »
All the best with the treatment on your shoulder and I hope that you recover well and quickly!

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
I hope you’ll check out the non-invasive treatments such as massage, chiropractic, CBD oil and juju beads before going under the knife. Even the SaltWater Cure might be called for, tho it’s traditionally Rx’d for depression.  Hope you’re better soon,

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
ccokieman... that sucks dude, maybe I'll have to ride down there and cheer you up!

Hopefully this will be temporary and the cook can get back in the line.

Can you still strum, or is that sidelined as well?

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
As a person who had one hip replaced 10 years ago, and the other one a year ago, I can tell you that there is life after joint replacement, and it can be really good. I am back to SUP surfing, downwinding, and windsurfing every day all summer, and skiing every day all winter. When my hips and back went bad (also had back surgery to remove a disc), I got pretty depressed sometimes when I was looking at all those surgeries, thinking that my active days were over. Now my hips are pain free, and fully active.
I know that looking at a shoulder replacement does not sound fun, and the rehab will be a bitch; but there can be a pain free and active life on the other side. A lot of athletes our age have a couple of new joints, and some have three or four. It seems like most of the full time skiers my age have at least one new joint, and they are all still going strong. Don't think it means the end of your surfing days. Just keep looking for the best solutions, and then just keep moving forward.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
that sux dude and get well soon.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Are you getting old Cookie? Me too. Time to make some music. By the time you back on the water you'll have all this new material to lay down on your surf videos ;) There's always an up side. You just have to look for it.  I'm in grind mode right now, trying to free up surf time. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »
That's some quality Zoner support. Way cool.  8) At least I went down swingin'! That last day I surfed on longboard was so sweet. It was at the local watering hole and everyone was out. And not one sup, mostly cuz I thought it perf for the longboard and always cherished the perfect winter sessions there. I don't think I even fell once that day. 
JimK, Bean, Dusk Patrol, Zooport, supsean, burchas, NothJerzSurfer, supcymru, iopsailor, supthecreek, nalu-sup, JEG, TallDude----you guys stoked me to the max. Guess that's just what I needed. I was so reluctant to post my misfortune. Sympathy seeking is not too high on my priority list. Since I'm getting close to treatment figured I'd do it. I've been tempted to paddle out now and again but didn't wanna risk making the injury worse.
  Funny, a few yrs ago I'd always envy the younger guys for their agility and physical advantage. These days I'm in envy of you older guys that are still surfing, like supthecreek, Tom, and Ponobill. My goal has always been to surf til 65. I made it to 61 anyways. Hopefully I'll be back. 

supthecreek- I've been playing my gtr and keyboard fairly regularly. Thanx for askin'. When I was first injured it hurt so bad to straddle the guitar.

nalu-sup- You sure have alot of experience w/joint replacement.  From what I've read shoulder is the least common procedure w/hip and knee replacement being more common. Do you know anyone w/shoulder replacement?

iopsailor- surprised you didn't mention physical therapy also. I was doing all these exercises for weeks and finally decided they were doing more harm than good. I have been using a topical CBD balm. Also arnica montana.

supsean- lol..funny, my goal was to be back in the gentle waters of summer and be ready by fall for the good stuff. Only time will tell what happens.

burchas- I just might do some editing. You fueled my motivation a bit. I have all this raw footage from last summer's two trips paddling across our inlet here to surf the other side.

I think back to one of the first songs I liked as a young child. Doris Day singing ''Que Sera Sera''. She was so beautiful and seemed as kind and loving as my mom. So I searched out the sheet music and started playing it reminding myself that indeed whatever will be will be. so be it.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:42:40 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal