Author Topic: Offshore winds suck  (Read 93825 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Offshore winds suck
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:25:53 AM »
I went offshore fishing for the third weekend in a row. This time we went to a different artificial reef a couple of miles out from Topsail Island NC. I caught a shark about 3' long that was a lot of fun to bring in, but not so much to get off. A couple of kayakers that were better prepared for releasing angry predators helped me and I have a better idea of what to bring for that. I also caught BSB, croaker and a lizard fish. Some gray trout were caught. No Spanish and no flounder. The wind picked up more than was predicted and it was a tough slog back in. I ended up kneeling and using my yak paddle. I am beat (fished yesterday) but really enjoying this, except for fighting the wind coming in. I think I will stick to onshore breezes to go that far out. Furthest point yesterday was about 3 miles out and I had support from some young bulls paddling Vikings that would have towed me in if the old man couldn't handle it.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Offshore winds suck
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 06:30:30 AM »
Beware of arm cramps. They can happen when you paddle hard for long periods. I've had times when my arms have cramped up and I was lucky to make back to shore.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal