Author Topic: First off shore fishing trip earlier today  (Read 9634 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First off shore fishing trip earlier today
« on: May 11, 2019, 05:15:58 PM »
I went with some kayakers. We trolled for a while a few hundred yard off the beach and then paddled out (actually they were pedaling) about a mile and a half to an artificial reef and trolled and drifted through there. I only got a couple of smallish bluefish, but saw some nicer fish taken. I will keep at it.

The wind is a frenemy; it made it a pain to head out and troll when it picked up. My spare paddle was a kayak paddle and sometimes I kneeled and used it. But it made the drifts work well. Choppy with occasional larger swell' took me a while to get my land legs back. I was out about 6 hours, paddling hard probably 75% of the time. Great workout.

I had 3 very large sea turtles surface and snort right next to me (not all at the same time). One medium sized shark swam under me.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: First off shore fishing trip earlier today
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »
If the bluefish were legal in size to keep, you could caught yourself dinner. If not legal length to keep, at least you didn't get skunked.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 04:05:21 AM »
where did you do this, if youre at liberty to say here?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
Bluefish were legal and I like the smallish ones better. The big ones are not as tasty even if you get the dark line quickly. But it was early in the day and I was a long drive from home. Bluefish don't keep all that well (maybe I am picky, but they get fishy faster than most).

I was at Yaupon Reef off of Oak Island NC. It's AR 425 on the south facing shore toward the bottom of this map:

https://ncdenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3b27e8594cb6444c88b5525bf763aa55

It's one of the closest to shore. I will probably go back often. The kayakers are a good group that go often and they liked having the old guy on the SUP along. I'm in their FB group now and lots of interesting trips going on this summer besides just that location though it is the common one. A 47 pound King was caught earlier in the week and one of the guys lost one that might rival it; while he didn't get it all that close, it swam close enough to another yak to be spotted. A guy I was I parallel trolling with at one point caught a nice Spanish.

Big sea turtles surfacing and snorting within a few feet of me was extremely cool.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:51:37 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »
TONS of Blues and Stripers Down here in SNJ

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:35:44 AM »
Small blues seem to nearly always be around but bigger ones tend to be more of a late year thing except for a drive by for a short while in the spring. There are some big ones caught at other times, just not nearly as many. Stripers are a river and sound fish here. Lots of people been reporting 40+ fish a day recently in the river, of which only a couple can be kept during a short season. But they don't seem to have much of a presence in our surf. The prize near shore gamefish in the summer is Kings. The piers sell special passes to be able to use King rods at the end of the pier. Spanish are here when it's warm too, but they are the consolation prize. AJs will show up at the reefs and there are some bonita around right now. Damn, now I want to sneak away...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal