Author Topic: Tried the Naish wing today  (Read 5030 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Tried the Naish wing today
« on: May 27, 2019, 06:47:32 PM »
I was whining at TJ at Big Winds about how I need the Duotone wings soonest before I forget everything I learned from Alan Cadiz. It turned out they have a Naish 4M in the shop, and he let me try it to get rid of me. I zoomed back to the shop, stuck my 280 GoFoil on Mr. Fugly, picked up the wing at the shop, and made for the event center.

Got everything rigged and made my way down to the water. Before I ventured forth I did a little dry land practice and was a bit concerned. The loop handles are loose, so the wing moves around a lot. There's also not much lift--it's more like a kite wing or a sail. That probably wouldn't be a big deal for most folks, but my shoulders are really bad and holding something up in the air isn't easy. The Duotone wing has plenty of lift, so just maneuvering the leading edge pulls the wing up so I'm more or less hanging from it. The Naish kit didn't feel like that at all.

Still, I went for it, got up on my board and got the wing flying, went upwind pretty easily and headed out. But when I tried to bear off a little to get up on the foil the wing got hard to control and was pushing down on my front hand. I couldn't get it to fly consistently with the handles wiggling around. I rode out, fell in, struggled to get the wing flying to come back. After just a few minutes it was clear that it wasn't going to work for me.

So I sailed back in and gave it up.

It might be an okay wing for people with normal shoulders, but I need my gear to help me out, not add to the challenge. Oh, well, I guess mid June isn't THAT far off. In the meantime I'll go beat myself to death trying to downwind foil.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Tried the Naish wing today
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:40:49 AM »
Bill, do you mean that the handles have come loose or that they are sloppy by design?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »
In videos they look loose by design to me. Floppy as all get out.

Pono, what you say? Are you thinking that the others will pull up and support the weight with lift? How does that work when it’s out to the side like I keep seeing people fly these?

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »
Just to two throw in my 2 cents in answer to surfcowboy's question, I tried the Duotone with the same instructor that Pono used; Alan Cadiz on Maui. I found that the wing more than supported its weight. In fact you don't really hold it up, it is more like you are gently holding it down. Even when the wing is more vertical, closer to a windsurfing rig as you pointed out, there is still enough upward lift to more than support the weight of the wing.
As far as strength when riding a high drag board; Alan started me on a 130 liter beginner windsurf board, in 25 mph winds. Even with that much wind, and that much drag, I never felt that strength was ever a factor. For the older guys in our group, the biggest challenge was the balance involved in getting to our feet in the heavy wind chop, without the power of a sail or kite to help us up. Once we got to our feet, the rest was easy.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 12:45:13 AM »
I must admit I find the concept of these a little odd. I've kite surfed a lot and there was several years (2010 and before) ago a concept of this which was not far removed from a windsurf sail without the mast. It didn't catch on with kitesurf boards not being that efficient. You generally needed a fair bit of grunt from kites to get them going.

That has changed and the introduction of foils has brought them back it seems. But I look at them and part of me still thinks I should be connected to a kite. I guess this has several advantages like less room needed and no lines etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 04:22:13 AM »
In videos they look loose by design to me. Floppy as all get out.

Pono, what you say? Are you thinking that the others will pull up and support the weight with lift? How does that work when it’s out to the side like I keep seeing people fly these?

This guy is flying his Naish with one hand in very light wind.  Here are some vids of him cruising very high into the wind in really light conditions (0-5).  Wind quality on a given day can make the same gear feel lofty and light or angry and unsupportive.  Clearly you have two schools that are squaring off a bit early on.  Basically, a more rigid, full camber, batten stabilized wing vs. a softer, partially luffing wing with struts.  Boom vs handles.  Possible lighter vs heavier?  In Windsurfing all brands ended up making versions of both and everything in between.  Of course, both sides are claiming to have done more research and are making not-so-subtle digs at the other's (lack of) technology.  Whoa!  that means we may actually have a new sport on our hands :).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw4GEB7Hlpo/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw4F9-on-AP/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw4GCCKHn3s/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:08:39 AM by Admin »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 05:35:21 AM »
It might be an okay wing for people with normal shoulders, but I need my gear to help me out, not add to the challenge.
What about the No window on the Naish wing Bill, Do you think it would be an issue in a busy place like the Gorge?
I saw the vid where Robby refers to it but still. The Duotone has one.
in progress...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 06:17:10 AM »
It might be an okay wing for people with normal shoulders, but I need my gear to help me out, not add to the challenge.
What about the No window on the Naish wing Bill, Do you think it would be an issue in a busy place like the Gorge?

I’ve asked friends of mine using it and they say it’s not an issue and not at all necessary.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »
Video yesterday at wing.surf 's Facebook showed a slightly different looking Duotone wing. Yellow with a bigger different shape window. How useful it is who knows, But the window in that video looks better than what we are seeing on the demo wings.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
Hey there Bill.  You are going to love the Duotone rig:)
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:41 PM »
... but I need my gear to help me out, not add to the challenge. Oh, well, I guess mid June isn't THAT far off. In the meantime I'll go beat myself to death trying to downwind foil.

I always choose my gear for the toughest part of the day.

A 2 week wait can be tough though. You sure you can handle that? Damn!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »
my concern is a lot of this wing vid we see are good at what they do or on the water every day. I'm still thinking and probably will do more thinking  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
Sorry about the no reply, I've been at the coast foil surfing and didn't bring my computer. The handles on the Naish are loose by design, doesn't make much sense to me, it made the wing hard to control. The biggest issue for me was the lack of lift, and that's because of my toasted shoulders. I'm sure some folks will find this wing to be just fine, but it's not for me. I'll wait. And maybe bug River to borrow his.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal