Author Topic: Smoking and then not Viento Run  (Read 5925 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Smoking and then not Viento Run
« on: May 24, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »
Did a Viento run this morning with Gregg (Covesurfer) Leion, Joel Yang and a few other hardy souls. It was cold and the top was just nuts. Spindrift and crazy gusts. Started off with a bang when my board blew out of my hands despite a double death grip. It whack into a tree so hard it fractured the carbon and glass on both sides of the nose. Borrowed some Puka Patches from Joe Morgan and went for it. Gregg was on a seriously skinny and fairly unstable NSP 14. I was on my Bullet 17 V2. I was trying to decide if I want to keep this board. Nope. It's not for me. I like a big enough nose so I don't have to watch it every second. It cuts though the water like butter when it punches in, but it punches in a lot, and if it's steep enough it stays under a long time. I'll stick with the Bullet v1.

Gregg was getting schooled as well. I don't get to see him fall very often. He was doing a lot of that. Conditions were crazy. Some of the drops were dupble nosebleed, and there were complications coming from every direction. Once we got past Mitchell point (which wasn't easy) everything went flatter, and by the time we got to the split rock the wind about died. Pretty weird. Maelstrom to boring in a few miles.

Nice to have the first run of the season done, and fun to go it with Gregg.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Smoking and then not Viento Run
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
Wait, what? The season? I didn't know there was a season. No one tells me anything. ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:25:36 PM by burchas »
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »
It starts when I show up. I guess I should put up some signs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »
No need for signs Bill, you are built like a billboard. Just put it on your shirt.
I would be able to see you all the way from 3 Rivers Grill :D
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »
So, are you coming to play this season, since it's started, that is.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 03:38:33 PM »
Already booked. Bringing reinforcement with me.
I'll be looking for Mr. Fugly ripping on the river.
in progress...

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 09:13:22 AM »
Yeah, that was super-fun going with you Pono! Like old times, only mo bettah because we're still doing it!

But, it was also what I'm calling a big steaming cup of humility that I was forced to choke down. You'd think that after years on Maui and hundreds of Gorge runs in the past, that it would be no problemo. Not even. While mostly the water is moving in the same direction, there are those crossing swells and micro-maxi currents that grab your board and do what they want.  You are paddling on your right side with authority but you are still going right, you take a stroke on the left just to balance your effort and now you're going across the waves to the right! You get near outcroppings into the river, like the Split Rocks, and there is actual reverb from the wind swell breaking and hitting the rocks and then getting perhaps amplified by the current, which is running opposite the wind direction. Add a board that is stupid-narrow (23.5") and has a rounded bottom and rails, and you've got that Humility Drink I mentioned. I haven't been on anything but a 17 4 Bullet with a rudder for downwind in years so it was quite a contrast being on my NSP Puma.

Got my ass kicked thoroughly. Must've fallen more than 20 times in less than 8 miles. I did manage a number of connections and actual surfing drops that were amazingly fun and fast. But, that time added together, totaled maybe five minutes out of an almost 2 hour run. When I got back home, I dug through my windsurfing stuff and pulled out a big chord length, long fin with lots of surface area. It may be a bit slower but it's the only thing that might help. Well, that and thoughts and prayers  ;D

Burchas, if you read this, look forward to you making it out. The water is still cold but as Pono points out, once he's going, the season is official. I am going to likely be up quite a bit, for one or two day missions. It's just about 2 and a half hours from our home but well worth the trouble. It will be fun to paddle with you here.

PB fixed us the best sandwiches ever following all our 'fun'. Nothing tastes as good as an outstanding sammich especially after nearly 2 hours of struggling up current and falling repeatedly in an ice bath! Nevertheless, can't wait to get back up there for another run. Even when you're struggling, downwind is still addictive.

Funny, I did my very first Viento a long while back with PB, who was nice enough to take a newbie out there. I still remember that run and it was literally life-changing for me. Friday, I kind of felt the same way, like a complete newbie.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
I realized after they were done that I forgot to put the fried apples with cinnamon under the cheese. Damn, them sammidges woulda been a lot better. The run, however, was going to suck no matter what. I fixed the nose of my board, which was no small thing. I'm lucky it didn't break right off when it hit that tree. The carbon was cracked right across the nose.

It's like -30 in Hood River with no wind. I'm fucking freezing. At least the sun is out.

The rule for Viento runs is still the same--don't help Gregg. We knew after that first run you were going to be faster than us. No point in speeding up your learning pace.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »
Burchas, if you read this, look forward to you making it out. The water is still cold but as Pono points out, once he's going, the season is official. I am going to likely be up quite a bit, for one or two day missions. It's just about 2 and a half hours from our home but well worth the trouble. It will be fun to paddle with you here.

Does that mean you're back on the mainland? I'm coming out for sure. Looking forward to seeing you (Preferably on that tippy NSP so we can hang longer :D)
This year I listened to Bill and chose the path with least resistance at the end of July. Why fight gazillion CFS when you can skid through 150.
in progress...

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
Burchas, yes, we moved back from Maui in November. We are living in Bend, about two and a half hours driving distance from Hood River. I'll be up as much as I can.

Unfortunately, the NSP Pro is very tough to ride in chopped up conditions, at least for me. I have put on a different fin in the hope of getting a little more stability but the key will be developing the skill to ride it. And, I'm afraid the only way is to practice a lot. When I could get the board surfing and connecting waves, it was hands down faster than anything else I've paddled. And, it accelerates quickly. But, there was a lot of time spent barely surviving. I am going to possibly buy another board for enjoyable downwind if I can't get better results quickly.

Look forward to seeing you here in OR and doing some runs!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
I'll be sure to bring you one of my messy downwinders fins as a housewarming gift.
Always wanted to test that NSP 23 in DW with a good fin. Which fin did you get for it?

From what Bill describes it was a hellfire run and he was throwing some Voodoo at you
to keep you at bay. I guess it worked ;D
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal