Author Topic: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 12'6" gun - something a little special  (Read 15800 times)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 12'6" gun - something a little special
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 02:06:50 AM »
Haha! I tried to buy that Applewood 11-6 but you’d already put a deposit down on it!

And no, I’m not Richard. I’m not connected to the company in any way.

Well, if you don’t like your applewood, at least you now know who you could sell it on to! I bought the 11-6 I mentioned for my son, because I liked the 12-6 so much. But I found that I liked the 11-6 so much I want one myself also.... that applewood would have been a good solution for me, although the logistics would have been extremely difficult for me too.

Ian Foo might make me a custom, perhaps. The shipping and taxes would make it crazy expensive though. Otherwise I’ll now have to wait until the next shipment in the autumn.

Glad that I got my act together for once!! Just need to apply that logic to the rest of my life now!

I have actually found a courier in the UK that will ship boards now. Not cheap but it is doable which is a change from last time looked. Sadly in this case the seller wasn't willing to box it up so it will mean a drive.

A few scratches here and there but still a stunning board and I'll be honest I prefer the look if the Applewood veneer than the Rosewood.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 05:25:21 AM »
Well I do need to thank you for the advice given on my other thread.

I did contact Hypr in he UK, and had some good correspondence with Richard and he advised the 11'6" (as you had done, you're not the same person are you)?

Anyway, I  ummed and aahed about it for while as while I certainly understand the quality here, I had to really think about budget. Then from out of no where I found a second hand one that was a couple of hours away from home. It's in Applewood.

The logistics of collecting it is still a bit of a mare thanks to work and other upcoming commitments but I'll just have to pull my finger out somehow and then get it on the water, rain, shine whatever.

Now at 28.5" wide I'd have never have gone for this without some input from here and discussions with Hypr themselves.

Specially as the description on the web site is not conductive to be a great small wave board, how one is to know....:

https://www.hyprnalu.com/gun-details
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
Haha! I tried to buy that Applewood 11-6 but you’d already put a deposit down on it!

And no, I’m not Richard. I’m not connected to the company in any way.

Well, if you don’t like your applewood, at least you now know who you could sell it on to! I bought the 11-6 I mentioned for my son, because I liked the 12-6 so much. But I found that I liked the 11-6 so much I want one myself also.... that applewood would have been a good solution for me, although the logistics would have been extremely difficult for me too.

Ian Foo might make me a custom, perhaps. The shipping and taxes would make it crazy expensive though. Otherwise I’ll now have to wait until the next shipment in the autumn.

Glad that I got my act together for once!! Just need to apply that logic to the rest of my life now!

I have actually found a courier in the UK that will ship boards now. Not cheap but it is doable which is a change from last time looked. Sadly in this case the seller wasn't willing to box it up so it will mean a drive.

A few scratches here and there but still a stunning board and I'll be honest I prefer the look if the Applewood veneer than the Rosewood.
Yes, the applewood is very nice. My son’s 11-6 is walnut, and he likes that even more than the applewood! I guess that this is why there are several woods to choose from: something for everyone.

One word of warning though: the wood veneers do get hot in the sun, and those carbon rails on the board you are buying will get so hot that you can’t put it under your arm if you leave it in bright summer sunlight. So make sure you use the bag that comes with the board, and don’t leave the board lying around in the sun on a warm day. And make sure you rinse the gortex valve with tap water once in a while: these boards can get so hot so quickly if left on a roof rack out of their bag in bright sunlight that you can actually hear the air escaping from the valve very clearly.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 08:14:01 AM »
Well I do need to thank you for the advice given on my other thread.

I did contact Hypr in he UK, and had some good correspondence with Richard and he advised the 11'6" (as you had done, you're not the same person are you)?

Anyway, I  ummed and aahed about it for while as while I certainly understand the quality here, I had to really think about budget. Then from out of no where I found a second hand one that was a couple of hours away from home. It's in Applewood.

The logistics of collecting it is still a bit of a mare thanks to work and other upcoming commitments but I'll just have to pull my finger out somehow and then get it on the water, rain, shine whatever.

Now at 28.5" wide I'd have never have gone for this without some input from here and discussions with Hypr themselves.

Specially as the description on the web site is not conductive to be a great small wave board, how one is to know....:

https://www.hyprnalu.com/gun-details
Yeah, but UK small surf is extraordinarily cruddy. So I doubt any website would bother saying “if you are unfortunate enough to surf 1-2ft onshore crappy dribble that no-one in their right minds from Hawaii or Oz would even bother with, then this board would be great for you”. :)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 09:46:00 AM »
personally I'm hoping that this board will give me a lot of scope in use to be honest.

I'm lucky to have some nice coastlines to explore from time to time and I've also seen a few occasions where surfers have been sat on boards chewing the crud while sup surfers actually have some fun catching the dribbles. Then when it does pick up a bit it's still there as an option.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »
Hey congrats Noo ...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
personally I'm hoping that this board will give me a lot of scope in use to be honest.

I'm lucky to have some nice coastlines to explore from time to time and I've also seen a few occasions where surfers have been sat on boards chewing the crud while sup surfers actually have some fun catching the dribbles. Then when it does pick up a bit it's still there as an option.
It will be perfect for that. It’s a high performance board, but an extremely versatile and easy to use one.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »
how did I miss this gorgeous girl, she so fine Area 10  8) ;)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 12:11:03 AM »
Hey congrats Noo ...

Thanks still got to go and get it but I'm buzzing about trying it that's for sure.

It will be perfect for that. It’s a high performance board, but an extremely versatile and easy to use one.

That's good to know. Lot's of bases covered and something I can develop with.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 06:58:07 AM »
how did I miss this gorgeous girl, she so fine Area 10  8) ;)
Cheers, I’ll post pics of the 11-6 version soon, when I get a moment.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »
Finally managed to collect the board and bar a good few paddle marks on the rails its a pretty stunning board. I'll try and get some photos up, probably over the weekend as I'm off to the other end of the country with work tomorrow.  :-\

The shape is pretty insane to be fair. All the width is up around the shoulder say a third of the way back from the tip. From then on it's a long and gently curved taper to the tail which is almost like a needle. Step too far back on it and your toes and heel will be in the water at the same. It's that sharp. Then the underside has these two deep concaves, the rails become increasingly sharp towards the rear with chines further forward. It's long and looks extremely narrow and just screams speed

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »
Yep, I was put on my 11-6 today, by coincidence, just paddling around in the sea.  I averaged 4.8mph for a casual paddle over a couple of miles, which shows it has decent speed as a general cruiser too, for an 11-6 surf shape (I’m just an average wobbly old geezer paddler). Hull speed for an 11ft board is only 4.9mph so it’s pretty efficient if an old git like me can average close to that in the sea just pootling around.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2019, 12:07:35 AM »
Sounds good A10, just need a moment to try mine. Hopefully this weekend perhaps, off to Glasgow with work today so that rules out today and tomorrow.

Coming back to the earlier discussion on fins, the ones I have seem to be relatively simple black plastic one's. I'll be honest I cant tell if they're of any decent quality or not and I'm nowhere near experienced enough to be able to know the difference anyway but I would like to hear your recommendations for a decent fin set or two.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 01:18:06 AM »
Sounds good A10, just need a moment to try mine. Hopefully this weekend perhaps, off to Glasgow with work today so that rules out today and tomorrow.

Coming back to the earlier discussion on fins, the ones I have seem to be relatively simple black plastic one's. I'll be honest I cant tell if they're of any decent quality or not and I'm nowhere near experienced enough to be able to know the difference anyway but I would like to hear your recommendations for a decent fin set or two.
Mine came with a rather nice set of Hypr carbon fins.

But your solution is easy (assuming you have FCS fittings): Go to the Gong website and buy one 9” Gong single fin (google “GONG FIN US RED HONEYCOMB 9'' 230mm”) and then also buy a set of 4.5” matching side bites. Then use the 9” only for flat water, and the full set for surf. These find are amazing value - very good quality and half the cost or less of equivalent big-name brand versions. They also look good.

This is basically the same setup (9” centre, 4.5” sides) that my board came with, and it works very well.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 12:57:59 AM »
Well had my first paddles on the 11'6" All flat water unfortunately no waves to play in this weekend. Some wind chop though.

The stability is nuts for a 28.5" wide board. It's so forgiving its crazy. How much of this is coming from a smaller board is difficult to judge but there is definitely something going on with the shape of the board.

As expected its quick, so no surprises there. Should catch pretty much any ripple I think.

If I were to have any criticisms it would be the handle. It feels slightly too far forward so the board isn't 100% balanced in the hand and there is a sharp edge to it which digs into the fingers a bit. i'll be taking a file to that. However this board is probably a year or two old and they may have changed these details now. I do note that the nose detailing etc. now looks different etc.

Still I feel its going to prove to be a good purchase.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal