Author Topic: Another Ke Nalu Blade Thread  (Read 7067 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another Ke Nalu Blade Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2019, 06:55:37 AM »
coming from a crap paddle, i bot a konihi and loved it, but the mana i bot next beat it out pretty clearly---for other than surfing, the Konihi may shine, but i only surf

i still keep a konihi in fl and it's fine, but the mana is the shit

and spirit, whatever you do, err on the small side with blades--i think burchas would agree---the big bad blades days are long over---smaller with good catch is better than big and dumb
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:57:27 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 07:03:55 AM »
👍👍👍👍

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
I’m just going to switch my Konihi to an xTuff shaft.  Lane believes the Konihi actually has the softest catch of all the blades.

It has a difficult catch to set without burying the blade and it is actually more difficult to get a feel for it on a very stiff shaft compared to a slightly softer one. The Xtuf(S) is likely the best combination in that regard.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 08:46:54 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »
I’m just going to switch my Konihi to an xTuff shaft.  Lane believes the Konihi actually has the softest catch of all the blades.

If he thinks that he's just using it wrong. If you don't bury a Konihi it doesn't catch well. Bury it, and do the Kalama/Puakea stroke (pushing down with your upper hand, lower arm straight, pull with your core) and it's a catch monster. I have the 95 and the 82 Konihi. When I got back from Maui I didn't take the time to assemble the 82 before my first downwinder and just used the 95. It about killed me. Not only did it feel like it was set in concrete, I pulled myself off the board several times--which really sucks in cold Columbia water. The Mana is much more controlled for catch and can be used in a sloppy manner--more forgiving. I assume the shorter wing is the reason.

An xTuf(S) shaft is very good on a Konihi, but I think it actually increases the catch. Maybe the slight hesitation in flex lets more air get off the blade. Whatever, it works very well. I like the 100Flex on the Mana better, enough so to keep switching back and forth--xTuf(S) when my shoulder is toast, 100Flex when it's better. I've been using these paddles so long an inch of shaft length is noticeable. I set up my Mana too short for my foiling trip to the Oregon Coast. Drove me nuts until I got back to the hotel and the hair dryer. It's been a long time since I used a hair dryer to adjust a KeNalu paddle, and I forgot how long it takes to get it warm enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
Thanks, Bill.  If I can score a Mana, I’ll get one!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal