Author Topic: Looking for Hydration Pack recommendations for SUP surfing  (Read 4685 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for Hydration Pack recommendations for SUP surfing
« on: June 05, 2019, 07:35:25 AM »
I started using a dolfin hydration pack this year for SUP surfing and find that I no longer get cramps towards the end of my session, so there is no going back for me.
But there are several things that I don't like about the dolfinpack.  The main thing being the velcro.  The chest velcro frequently comes undone during a wipeout.  The velcro for the pouch comes undone leadig to the water pouch falling out.   I wear an impact vest under my suit (thanks Beasho), but find the elastic under the arms of the dolfinpack to be uncomfortable (tight).  I wear the dolfinpack outside of my suit.  I've been meaning to try wearing a short sleeve rash guard over the hydrationpack to see if that would help.
Does anyone have a favorite hydration pack that they would recommend for sizeable Sup surfing?  If so, please share.
Thanks,
Bric
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Hydration Pack recommendations for SUP surfing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 07:42:34 AM »
I've used the DAKINE Hydration Pak during BIG hurricane surf
If you want more details PM me

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:59:12 AM »
If you're willing to do a little fiddling you can fit a hydration bladder into your impact vest. Depends on the vest you have, but the foam is inside big pockets. Make a small slit at the top and remove the foam from the appropriate pocket (preferably one that's low and in the back) and slip in a small hydration bladder--the kind made for waist packs. You don't need a lot of water to stave off cramps. You can close the slit with a buckle or velcro sewn to the neoprene. I did that to my Gooru, I should to it to my Ion vest as well.

I've started adding pedialyte to about three times the amount of water suggested (I use the dry powder) and it's more effective, even in small amounts.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cast.ms

• Waikiki Status
  • Exercise Physiologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 10:49:35 AM »
I use an Orange Mud pack for racing, and they also have a smaller 1L pack:

https://www.orangemud.com/products/endurance-pack-4l-v2-0-2l-bladder-cargo-ideal-for-running-and-biking-white-lifejacket?variant=19598933786711

https://www.orangemud.com/products/gear-vest-2l-1l-bladder-total-cargo-ideal-for-running-biking-triathlon-white-personal?variant=42693498255

I like how compact they are, and sit high between the shoulders to stay out of the way without bouncing.  They use elastic straps across the chest, and the primary part of the pack can be cinched tight enough so even if the top velcro comes loose (never happened to me), you won't lose the bladder.
14'x24" Flying Fish Freeglide
12’6” Red Paddle Elite
9’8” Red Paddle Ride
KeNalu Mana 90
Black Project Hydro 83

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 05:04:22 AM »
I use an Orange Mud pack for racing, and they also have a smaller 1L pack:

https://www.orangemud.com/products/endurance-pack-4l-v2-0-2l-bladder-cargo-ideal-for-running-and-biking-white-lifejacket?variant=19598933786711

https://www.orangemud.com/products/gear-vest-2l-1l-bladder-total-cargo-ideal-for-running-biking-triathlon-white-personal?variant=42693498255

I like how compact they are, and sit high between the shoulders to stay out of the way without bouncing.  They use elastic straps across the chest, and the primary part of the pack can be cinched tight enough so even if the top velcro comes loose (never happened to me), you won't lose the bladder.

These look pretty good. Would you suggest white or black? White is probably doesn't heat up as black one but probably difficult to keep clean? Besides it probably looks strange on a wetsuit?
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 08:20:06 AM »
I wish Camelbak had continued making their Baja/SUP pack. I think it's the best hydration pack ever for in the water use, especially downwind. I left my two packs in Maui (duh) and have been fiddling with other packs. They don't drain instantly like the Baja does, can't carry much, and the bladders fall out. The baja closes with velcro and a buckle. I modified mine to also act as a waist leash.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cast.ms

• Waikiki Status
  • Exercise Physiologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »

These look pretty good. Would you suggest white or black? White is probably doesn't heat up as black one but probably difficult to keep clean? Besides it probably looks strange on a wetsuit?

Mine is black with orange trim.  I think the combination of body heat and ambient temperature has more of an effect than the color heating up from the sun
14'x24" Flying Fish Freeglide
12’6” Red Paddle Elite
9’8” Red Paddle Ride
KeNalu Mana 90
Black Project Hydro 83

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal