Author Topic: Rec's for beginner SUP surfing in Hawaii in July (besides Waikiki)  (Read 6334 times)

405er

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I'm thinking of going to Hawaii for four days over 4th of July weekend.  I've paddled for 7-8 years but only got into SUP surfing two years ago.  Last year I spent a few days in Waikiki, so I'm hoping to find a different beach to go to, but looking online hasn't turned up any obvious spots.  I'll go to any of the islands, but ideally looking for a beach (presumably south facing since summer time) with 2-4' waves and nearby SUP rental since I won't have my own with me.  Lodging and town nearby would be great too so I wouldn't have to bother renting a car.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rec's for beginner SUP surfing in Hawaii in July (besides Waikiki)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
I think most people would agree that Oahu is best for summer surf. Get in touch with Robert at Blue Planet for recommendations of where to go, and they are the best choice for SUP rental by far, lots of good performance board to choose from. There are numerous breaks around Waikiki, if you don't want to get a car, that's the best place to be. Everything else requires at least some driving. You even have the potential for a Hawii Kai run--there's a shuttle to Portlock and if you pick the right hotel (something reasonably close to the Outrigger Canoe Club) you can finish the run at your hotel.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
Hey 405'er (OKC - Street Outlaws? ;D), in addition to what PB said, check out Nalu Board storage.  BP will deliver a board to the Nalu outdoor board storage facility and you will have 24-7 access regardless of where you stay.  (Not all the hotels have board storage, as you probably know.)

If you find a better place than Waikiki for summer surf, let us know about it.  If you happen to go to Maui, check out 808 Boards.  (not as easy to do without a car.)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »
More Oahu - try Haleiwa on the north shore.... Puena Point and Chun's.  I don't know about accomodations up there, but there has to be something. And if its the busy vibe of Waikiki you're trying to avoid, then Haleiwa will suit you.  And if you do rent a car, White Plains is another option. But its off by itself on or near some military land.     
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:04:42 PM »
Haleiwa and the North Shore of Ohau is wonderful, but it's super-limited for hotels or places to stay and the surf may be super-dinky in the summer. And I don't know how you'd even get there without a car.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

405er

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 05:50:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the info.  Sounds like returning to Waikiki (Canoes/Queens) for the best conditions in July combined with the convenience of lodging and board rental all within walking distance is my best bet.  Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on beaches at or south of Lahaina, PKs/Centers in Kauai, or beaches near Kona during summer months, regarding both conditions and the convenience factor?  (Bean - I live in Los Angeles and 405 is in reference to the freeway I've commuted on seemingly my entire life.)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:59:27 PM »
Lahaina has surf spots all around it for summer swell--Puamana, Hot Sands, Hole in the Wall, Breakwall, various odd Kaaanapali spots, Rainbows, S-Turns and Little Makaha. If I were going to be car-less in Maui I'd probably either rent a condo at Puamana or Kehala/Napili

I don't know much about summer surf on Kauai, surfing seems kind of limited on the Big Island.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:01:28 PM by PonoBill »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »
405 is in reference to the freeway
Very cool 405

We rented a 1st floor condo in Kaanapali which made storing the SUPs managable for our stay.  Although I could walk the board right down to the beach, the break at the condo or anywhere within paddle distance just did not materialize.  So I had to load up the car every morning to search for a break, usually Launiupoko Beach Park or the Lahina breakwall (the breakwall gets loaded up with surfschools).

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 09:17:25 AM »
I have not surfed Kauai since the SUP fad boomed.  Honestly  I was surprised that there are not a huge number of surf breaks that are really really good.  We went once at the end of the summer and breaks on the north shore were very small, east shore was very windy.  Breaks on the south shore were OK.  Lots of them have some dicey reefs in very shallow water when the waves are smallish, so even though there are small waves, I'm not sure I would rate it for beginners.  If you ask around and scout around there are some nice spots to be had.  A real beginners break is Nahwilili (sp) bay, if long slow rollers are coming through.  Near PKs there are several decent spots.  Locals know lots of nice spots west of Poipu, some of them are listed in surf guides and some are not.  Pakala is one of them.  Only locals the day we were there were hammerheads.   We were warned about really bad localism since we were surfing waveskis, but mostly found curiosity from the locals. Not sure what that will be like on a SUP.  The first time I saw someone really ripping on a  SUP, we later found out was Laird Hamilton.  Hanalei (sp) is probably pretty small in the summers but that made it a really uncrowded mellow wave when we were there. YMMD.   The nice thing about Kauai ( if you plan around morning and evening commuter traffic) is it is still pretty undeveloped with lots of really cool non-surfing activities if you get skunked by the wave gods.   River Kayaking, amazing hikes, Napali Coast Kayaking, mountain biking, etc etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »
Kalapaki beach on Kauai might meet your needs.  South facing so decent in summer, and with a friendly enough group of SUP surfers.  It’s tucked into Lihue with a 70’s but refurbished Marriott right on the beach. A little world unto itself.  I found it by accident, being the only hotel available, I will go back. You can live there without a car, but if you do rent a car then you can head up to Hanalei.     

https://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/l/lihka/phototour/lihka_phototour69.jpg?Log=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Q3kYw8v8g
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:57:53 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal