Author Topic: Considering a new board even though its probably a bad idea  (Read 20323 times)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Considering a new board even though its probably a bad idea
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 06:09:34 AM »
It does, but it has also added another board to my list  ;D

Actually its no bad thing as I'm actually looking at a specific shape and style now rather than being all over the place as I have been.

The Black and Blue Machine sounds like an interesting board. I would probably go with the 10'2" but from what I've read it's a very dedicated nose rider. It's slow but still manages to pick up waves very easy, even small ankle slappers. That might be a good thing begin with and who wouldn't want to learn how to nose ride?It's also a little wider than the Hanalei.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Pretty sure Jimmy Lewis is going to release a new size in his Destroyer model. It will be 9’8 x 31.75 x 160 L.

It might fit your needs. If do you could connect with JL about including it in a shipment to Europe.

https://jimmylewisboards.com.au/collections/surf-sups/products/jl-destroyer-sup-new

Separate topic: There is a great previous Zone thread on the Black & Blue Machine.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26422.0.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:08:02 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
Pretty sure Jimmy Lewis is going to release a new size in his Destroyer model. It will be 9’8 x 31.75 x 160 L.

It might fit your needs. If do you could connect with JL about including it in a shipment to Europe.

https://jimmylewisboards.com.au/collections/surf-sups/products/jl-destroyer-sup-new

Separate topic: There is a great previous Zone thread on the Black & Blue Machine.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26422.0.html

Cheers. I have been reading that very thread. Some really interesting stuff that has both whetted my appetite and raised some concerns. I'm a bit worried that it could be too technical to begin with, especially if the only option is the one with the concaved scoop in the front.

To make matters worse. So far I've only found two retailers in the UK that stock Jimmy Lewis SUPS. So while I'm not nailed on in saying I would like a Jimmy Lewis XYZ I may not have any choice in the matter. Neither of the suppliers have the Destroyer either.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »
Looking back on your initial post, I see you're on a Fusion, which I believe has very similar dims as the Destroyer I mention... so... scratch that idea...

I imagine to get the nose riding value out of a B&B Machine, one would need clean waves to play around on, practice walking the board, etc.  It would certainly catch waves, but then, would you be happy having to make pivot turns? Or would you want a board that could carve a bit more readily?  All that said, people who have B&Bs seem to really enjoy the specialized experience the board offers.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »
I'm UK-based and thinking of selling my 9'5 Striker, PM me if you want to know more.  Thanks.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 02:20:31 PM »
Looking back on your initial post, I see you're on a Fusion, which I believe has very similar dims as the Destroyer I mention... so... scratch that idea...

I imagine to get the nose riding value out of a B&B Machine, one would need clean waves to play around on, practice walking the board, etc.  It would certainly catch waves, but then, would you be happy having to make pivot turns? Or would you want a board that could carve a bit more readily?  All that said, people who have B&Bs seem to really enjoy the specialized experience the board offers.

Yes you're probably right on the Destroyer.
I'm not sure about the B&B's performance range yet I'm still trying to find as much info on it as I can. But it's got my interest. The size looks about right, it can supposedly work in a range of water conditions and then it offers something a little different that can make a small wave day (which are very common for me) interesting. Maybe it is too technical to begin with? I dont know yet other than from what I've read about the rail shape etc.  Plus I can see that having to physically learn to step forwards to turn it and keep it moving rather than just shifting your body weight would also be a huge step. Perhaps too big.

I'm going to call the Jimmy Lewis supplier tomorrow for a chat. Then I'll see if it makes my list I guess.

I like the look of the Infinity New Deal as well. They offer two 10' options but the might be pushing my budget. That's another area I'll need to weigh up.

I'm UK-based and thinking of selling my 9'5 Striker, PM me if you want to know more.  Thanks.

I'll give it some thought thanks

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 03:29:16 PM »
FYI the New Deal, with its slightly dome deck, light weight and thinnish rails, is a relatively unstable board if that is a consideration.  My experience is of the 9'6, not the 10'.  I love it but would love it more if more stable.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 12:06:05 AM »
FYI the New Deal, with its slightly dome deck, light weight and thinnish rails, is a relatively unstable board if that is a consideration.  My experience is of the 9'6, not the 10'.  I love it but would love it more if more stable.

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of this although I hadn't done a massive amount of research on them. More of just a cursory look over.

It seems a lot the specific long board designs are heading this way. About 9'6", thin rails etc. specifically aimed at the more advanced rider.

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 04:22:09 AM »
Did you just use "new board" and "bad idea" in the same sentence???? :o

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 04:37:36 AM »
:) :) :)

I would think that the JL Striker would be worth a good look. And if you get a New Deal, to get the bigger sizes. But the only problem with the New Deal is that it is quite expensive in the UK.

Longboard shapes with wide noses can be a bit irritating in choppy windy mush, or strong offshore winds, or where you have a long paddle out through lines of whitewater. They work better for cleanish conditions, where they can be huge fun. Sadly, there aren’t many brands these days who make surf SUPs that are fairly long, and also have a pointy nose, which is what would be ideal for many average riders at average UK surf spots.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 05:29:54 AM »

Yes, guilty.  :-\

Perhaps I should elaborate.

Good idea to me, bad idea to missus / bank manager

Although there is a part of me that says I should hone my skills on the Fusion.

:) :) :)

I would think that the JL Striker would be worth a good look. And if you get a New Deal, to get the bigger sizes. But the only problem with the New Deal is that it is quite expensive in the UK.

Longboard shapes with wide noses can be a bit irritating in choppy windy mush, or strong offshore winds, or where you have a long paddle out through lines of whitewater. They work better for cleanish conditions, where they can be huge fun. Sadly, there aren’t many brands these days who make surf SUPs that are fairly long, and also have a pointy nose, which is what would be ideal for many average riders at average UK surf spots.

The New Deal is likely to be out of budget I think. We'll have to see.  I haven't set myself a top end figure yet as I will quite happily wait a little longer if I feel a particular board  / construction will be worth the wait.

reminds me of a session I had a little while back. 1hr+ drive to a surf beach where 3 foot was forecast. 3 foot was about right but I should have looked a little deeper. Strong 15kn on shore breeze basically resulted in a day where I was owned. Waves pounding from all directions and no clear sets at all. Still no complaints, I got wet, learned a little bit etc. There were a few prone surfers out that had a similar experience. No one was surfing that day. big lesson was I should have gone elsewhere.

My concern with the Striker is the similarities to the Fusion that I already have, dimension wise anyway. I haven't looked it up any further than that yet. I will do.

RE pointy noses, I haven't ruled out a Hanelei yet. That is firmly on the list.

supthecreek

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »
Hi Noo Noo,

I have been following your thread with interest.
It's always refreshing to get involved conversations, by folks new to SUP surfing, because it brings up a lot of issues and challenges that come with learning this awesome sport. Hopefully, this is where the Zone shines the best.

You have gotten a lot of great info and ideas.

I am the spokesman for Sunova on the Zone (Sunova is a proud Zone sponsor)
To me, it was important to read many of your replies to find out what might benefit your quest, because everyone experiences SUP differently.

My advice to new SUPsters is make it easy on yourself, so that you can progress more quickly and enjoy all the stages along the way.
Whatever board you get should be something that will grow with you, as you improve.

Sunova's mostly tend to be performance orientated and have thin foiled rails that sit low in the water and can be tippy for new paddlers.
Some models perform so well, that a new SUPster can get a fairly large one, that will be stable and have great performance.
Boards like the Speeed and Creek work very well in all conditions and can provide reasonable stability for a Newbie in a larger size.

After reading all of your responses and thoughts, my best recommendation is the 9'5 the ONE, in the affordable ECO construction.
It is a very versatile and capable board, both in surf and flat-water
The 9'5 x 32" ONE, is light and extremely well built for a "price point" board

Main feature that should help in your conditions:
Fairly flat rocker for easy paddling and surfing speed in low power, wonky conditions.
Enough nose lift to work in chop

little known fact: it is one of the best selling boards from Sunova, because it is well appreciated by newer SUPster, for it's ease, performance and versatility. It is well loved by very small women and larger men... all on the size same board.

I surfed my 9'5 for one entire winter, while waiting for my first Creek model to arrive. I still take it out from time to time.
I weigh 107 kg + winter gear.
It is extremely stable in chop and wind, paddles great and surfs very well.... in small or larger surf.

Sunova is available to you in the UK.
Contact my friend Julius Bull at Standup Paddleboarder, UK (Cornwall)
http://www.standuppaddleboarder.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR1Qmyr3erU0Cv42rApsFLY-UIJE1NvSGgIsuo0pyKXGfsK9BD3Jihoq-90

Discussion is good, but hard to put into context from user to user, without a mutual reference point....
so, many years ago, I endeavored to do thorough video reviews of boards that include all the info to help buyers make sense of what they hear...
Long before I became associated with Sunova.
These videos are designed for the viewer to take what they see and apply it to their particular situation.
I try to be as absolutely honest and complete as possible, regardless of affiliation.
Click my Youtube Channel link (below the post) to see any of my 100+ videos about many boards and brands.

Here is one of the many videos I have made of "the ONE"
It's long, because details are important to me.... and there are details from start to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n39Hh2_64o&t=290s

Note:
although I am completely in love with the 12' Point Break.... I do not think it's the perfect match for small choppy surf.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »
My mid-sized board is a 9'2 Sunova Speeed which is a very good board for sup surfing when conditions are clean but also when there's some chop too. It's taken some time to get used to it as it definitely has a different feel to my JL boards but I really enjoy surfing it and it's fun to choose between boards in the quiver!

Creek, is Julius  still importing Sunovas as his website and social media has gone quiet?

Noo noo, Matt at the suphut seems to getting involved with sunova so could be worth a phone call if Sunovas are of interest?

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 08:44:14 AM »
I'm glad you've decided to chip in Sup as I've been looking at the Sunova range with a little bit of drooling to be honest. They are stunning boards to look at but again I've been a bit stuck on which would be best suited. So many thanks.

My one concern, and I say this without knowing or understanding anything about the performance of the board is that the outline looks very similar to the Fusion that I already have. The 9'5" has pretty much the same length and width and carries just a few more litres in volume. I might look a the 10' however but would really need to understand the performance differences. So I'll be certainly checking out your videos and anything else I can find.

There is a temptation to look at something completely different to maximise what I can do which is where the longer boards under consideration were coming from.

Would the Sunova ONE be different enough?

My mid-sized board is a 9'2 Sunova Speeed which is a very good board for sup surfing when conditions are clean but also when there's some chop too. It's taken some time to get used to it as it definitely has a different feel to my JL boards but I really enjoy surfing it and it's fun to choose between boards in the quiver!

Creek, is Julius  still importing Sunovas as his website and social media has gone quiet?

Noo noo, Matt at the suphut seems to getting involved with sunova so could be worth a phone call if Sunovas are of interest?

Thanks again supcymru.
I have noted some funny issues with the www.standuppaddleboarder.co.uk website. I have also dropped them an email a short time ago. That's quiet too.

Looked at the SPEEED as an option given that it is a very quick board and thought that would help through a broader range of conditions. This is quite likely to be wrong. Plus clean conditions are pretty rare on my local breaks. I know a few wider afield but dont get the chance to visit them that much.

supthecreek

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 09:27:27 AM »
Hi Noo Noo,
I appreciate the concern about "is it enough of  a change?"

My considerations were this:
I assumed that your initial choice of the 9'8 was made because of where you saw yourself going in this sport.

The particular rocker wasn't as easy as you wished in your conditions.
Speed paddling into... and on waves, was unsatisfactory.
Stability was also an issue.

My though was:

The ONE has an entirely different rocker... and one that works well in low power conditions.
It's paddling speed is good as well.
Flatter rockers are also more stable that heavy rocker.

The extra inch in width is fairly significant, from a stability standpoint, and the ONE rails are a nice balance between enough volume, but feeling not "corky"

If that seems like it works for you, it keeps you in the same "performance arena" as the Fusion, in terms of dimensions.

If your experience on the Fusion leaves you thinking that it wasn't even close to a proper comfort level, then you could certainly go wider or longer.

If you want to PM me with a detailed account of where you are in the journey, I'd be happy to deep dive with you and see if we can't come up with a good direction for you.... regardless of brand or model considerations. Finding a solid base to begin make this experience so much more fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal