Author Topic: Considering a new board even though its probably a bad idea  (Read 20330 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Considering a new board even though its probably a bad idea
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 03:21:17 AM »
Yeah, I sympathise. My advice is to get to try as many boards as you can, whether you intend to buy them if not (eg. borrow friends’ boards, demo etc) just to build up a database in your head of what works for you. And buy secondhand if possible, and accept that this is a journey - what you like now will likely not be what you want most in a years’ time as you progress. I’ve been through literally dozens of boards over the last 12 years. A few I regret selling, actually: I didn’t appreciate at the time how good they were. But that’s just the way it goes.

But sometimes you just have to make a decision based on the best information you have at the time. You are never going to be able to try every board that interests you, in your home conditions.

The Gong boards are advanced designs, excellent construction (if you stick to the 2018 and 2019 boards), and a bargain price. You can’t really go wrong with them, tbh. I have the 11ft NFA and 12-6 Perv. Both really excellent. I’ve also had several Gong boards in the past, and they have all been high performers. Again, the shaper Patrice tries not to put more volume and thickness in than is absolutely required, and he’s not a small guy himself so there is usually plenty of stability for the size. I’d quite like to get a Gong Zero...

https://youtu.be/lhMAyov9PIA

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 04:40:45 AM »
i find i usually have too many boards in play, vs too few sessions in which to really get a feel for differences

so many variables (incl fins, too), and too few waves ridden to gather more than basic understanding of differences

that's why i may buy a point break---completely different than the rest of my quiver, and potentially of huge utility in circumstances where the rest of my quiver wont shine so much

and i have no $$ fear of buying boards and blowing boards out, but it's a PITA---since my quiver is very filled in for my sweet spot boards, it may be time to buy something different that has unique quiver value

the vids confirm-----and btwn rbgar, creek and bert berger there is some serious shape and surf wisdom

hmmmmm

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:54:35 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 05:38:28 AM »
i think you've posted in the wrong thread Eastbound.  :D

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 05:59:36 AM »
in case youre not joking:

i thought the thread was about the consideration of new board purchases--with some worry that it might be a bad idea

so i shared how ive been dealing with my quiver and a purchase i am considering

no different than other posts

whatever---onward

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't joking. I thought you had meant to post in the Point break thread as you mentioned that board. I must admit it does look like an interesting option. Sorry again, no offence was intended and I honestly feel I could benefit from any advice going.

I feel I'm in a pretty dangerous place right now. My kite surfing experience has taught me that there's no such thing as a one board quiver. In that instance there's no such thing as a one kite quiver, despite what the manufacturers will tell you. I'm also at that stage where I know that something isn't right but I'm full aware that I dont really have the experience or ability to really identify a way forward. Get it wrong and I've blown money on a board that will have limited use and value to me.

There's part of me that's saying I should just knuckle down with the Fusion, get out more and hone my skills on that board. The other side is that I'm coming to realise that I'm not able to cherry pick days with the best conditions and I'll ultimately want some thing that can maximise what I have, which is more often than not the messiest, chopiest, and often very small beach breaks you can imagine.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
Well, it sounds like you are either going to have to travel and demo, or you are going to have to use your best judgement. Once that new board itch worms it’s way into your head it’s really difficult to shake off :)

I currently have 21 SUP boards. And more paddles than that. Does that answer your question about one-board quivers? :)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
Lol  ;D ;D

That's almost a board for every day of the month!! And yes the worm is in deep.

It certainly does look like I'll have to start travelling or d some real digging. Both probably.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
Lol  ;D ;D

That's almost a board for every day of the month!! And yes the worm is in deep.

It certainly does look like I'll have to start travelling or d some real digging. Both probably.
If you have the cash, take a road trip to Poole and check out the Hypr Nalu Hawaii boards. They are very special IMO.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
Time thanks to work is the issue.

Should really think about a career change to be honest. What I'm doing now is stupid.

Might be able to convince the missus that we should go a for a little camping holiday down that way.

I'd prefer to head to South Wales or Devon / Cornwall though, if you can avoid the crowds

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »
Time thanks to work is the issue.

Should really think about a career change to be honest. What I'm doing now is stupid.

Might be able to convince the missus that we should go a for a little camping holiday down that way.

I'd prefer to head to South Wales or Devon / Cornwall though, if you can avoid the crowds
Sometimes the UK distributors make deliveries around the UK, so if you are lucky you can meet up with them nearer to your home.

Your work situation sounds tough.

And yes, I’d mostly prefer to head to Cornwall too. Although there are some really lovely places to SUP, camp, and visit, in Dorset. Just don’t expect sizeable or consistent surf, unless you happen to get lucky with big K-Bay, in which case you’ll need to put your big boy pants on, and try not to snap your board or take a fin off on the flagstone reef.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 12:51:51 AM »
Yet more digging round and thinking done over the weekend before I realised that there's no real easy solution for this. So I'm wondering if its time to step back and rethink my approach here.

Obviously one board isn't going to cut it long term, never was, never will. So with that in mind why not look at putting together (over time) a 2 -3 board quiver that will cover a broader spectrum of the conditions I typically face rather than my current set up which was a friendly board to SUP surf but not ideally suited to the conditions.

So with that in mind what are people's thoughts on say a 10' 10'6" long board style SUP which will pick up pretty much everything in the calmer weather and a great board to muck around on - something like a Naish Nalu, Sunova Style, Starboard Longboard etc.

Then down the line look at a shorter board better suited to the wind blown mess - Gong Mob etc.

Thoughts anyone?

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 04:32:10 AM »
Noo Noo, You're on the right track now....I think. If you want to catch more waves, a longer board will help. That being said, weight matters a lot. What construction is your Fusion?
    A few years ago I was a JP rep for a brief time. They gave me a large quiver of boards to let folks demo and I ended up having two Fusions, both 9'2", one was AST and one was Pro construction. Here's the big takeaway; if they were both primer grey and you did the "taste test"(on water comparo), you wouldn't even think the shapes were related! The difference in the way the two boards paddled and surfed was enormous. Those first paddle strokes get a light board moving, the board jumps forward, and you're on the wave. Heck, I've even noticed shoulder fatigue after paddling heavier boards. I had a couple of the Wood JP's too, they sit in price, and in weight, right between the AST and the PRO. Weight really matter, and unfortunately, you usually get what you pay for.
    Another wave catching experiment happened one day while a group of friends and I were Grovelling at an off shore wave a couple of years back. There was no good wave to be found, and we were left with this outer bar that would stand a wave up, break, then spill into deep water. Everyone grabbed their longest, biggest, and mostly old boards and paddled out, except me, I grabbed an Uli inflatable. I had bought it to travel with and it was the biggest board I had, it was a 9' Lopez. Once out there I realized that the Uli at 9' was picking up waves as easily as the other guys 10'6" and 11' old boards. Weight surely played a huge role, but I was still surprised.
    Anyway,I was just talking about this with a friend the other day, so the subject is fresh on my mind. If I were going to recommend a board for you to catch waves, and still have it be fun to surf I would suggest the Infinity New Deal 10'x31". Infinity makes good shapes, and I don't know of a lighter or higher quality construction on the market. I have no affiliation with Infinity, but I do own one of their carbon boards, and I have not seen better construction. Second to that I might have a look at the Flight Hawaii carbon boards, they are good, and light, but not as light as the Infinty's.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 05:01:30 AM »
3 board quiver sounds good. My boards range from a 10'8 JL Hanalei to an 8'6 Super Frank Lean. My 10'8 tends to be my go to board so getting a longer sup is a good shout.

I've not seen the Gong boards in the flesh but you could get a 10ft NFA (I really like the look of it-could be tempted with it myself if funds allowed!) AND a shorter Gong eg the Mob that you mentioned or the Karmen for the same price as one premium brand SUP?!

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 05:34:13 AM »
Noo Noo, You're on the right track now....I think. If you want to catch more waves, a longer board will help. That being said, weight matters a lot. What construction is your Fusion?
    A few years ago I was a JP rep for a brief time. They gave me a large quiver of boards to let folks demo and I ended up having two Fusions, both 9'2", one was AST and one was Pro construction. Here's the big takeaway; if they were both primer grey and you did the "taste test"(on water comparo), you wouldn't even think the shapes were related! The difference in the way the two boards paddled and surfed was enormous. Those first paddle strokes get a light board moving, the board jumps forward, and you're on the wave. Heck, I've even noticed shoulder fatigue after paddling heavier boards. I had a couple of the Wood JP's too, they sit in price, and in weight, right between the AST and the PRO. Weight really matter, and unfortunately, you usually get what you pay for.
    Another wave catching experiment happened one day while a group of friends and I were Grovelling at an off shore wave a couple of years back. There was no good wave to be found, and we were left with this outer bar that would stand a wave up, break, then spill into deep water. Everyone grabbed their longest, biggest, and mostly old boards and paddled out, except me, I grabbed an Uli inflatable. I had bought it to travel with and it was the biggest board I had, it was a 9' Lopez. Once out there I realized that the Uli at 9' was picking up waves as easily as the other guys 10'6" and 11' old boards. Weight surely played a huge role, but I was still surprised.
    Anyway,I was just talking about this with a friend the other day, so the subject is fresh on my mind. If I were going to recommend a board for you to catch waves, and still have it be fun to surf I would suggest the Infinity New Deal 10'x31". Infinity makes good shapes, and I don't know of a lighter or higher quality construction on the market. I have no affiliation with Infinity, but I do own one of their carbon boards, and I have not seen better construction. Second to that I might have a look at the Flight Hawaii carbon boards, they are good, and light, but not as light as the Infinty's.

Many thanks for your input. I've been a bit lost and swamped with info before I had a little moment of clarity (I think) so every little bit helps. Thanks

My Fusion is the AST one. It's ok but just doesn't cover enough conditions when I get my opportunity to get out and that's not helping me progress. So, to me it kind of feels like the right board in the wrong place. If I lived in Devon / Cornwall where the surf is far cleaner then it would be fine. Here in North Wales it's not great unless I travel. There are some good spots after a drive but its far easier for me to head to my local beaches 20 minutes down the road which comes at the cost of really poor surf. I am relying on the camping trips to provide me with access to the good stuff.

I'll Look into Infinity thanks

3 board quiver sounds good. My boards range from a 10'8 JL Hanalei to an 8'6 Super Frank Lean. My 10'8 tends to be my go to board so getting a longer sup is a good shout.

I've not seen the Gong boards in the flesh but you could get a 10ft NFA (I really like the look of it-could be tempted with it myself if funds allowed!) AND a shorter Gong eg the Mob that you mentioned or the Karmen for the same price as one premium brand SUP?!

SUPCymru your timing is impeccable.

I have literally been looking at Jimmy Lewis boards this very second and had got it down to the Black and Blue or the Hanalei as possible options. What can you tell me about the Hanalei please.

Gong NFA is a good shout too thanks

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 05:51:14 AM »
The Hanalei is a great board in terms of construction with a weight of approx 10kg (in the standard construction), quality of deck pad and newer ledge handle, but is also a very versatile board. It's more than happy to paddle flat water but is great fun in the surf. I surf at Aberafan year round which means that it copes with a real mix of conditions and handles chop well (even at 29'' wide). For reference I'm 85kg and 5'8" and have been SUPing for about 8 years (but only to a low intermediate standard-more time on the water is needed!).
Hope this helps!
Pob lwc!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal