Author Topic: Considering a new board even though its probably a bad idea  (Read 20319 times)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi All

After a little advice. I'm considering a new SUP basically because the mood takes me but also to try and get more from the conditions I have here in the UK.

I'm currently riding a 9'8" JP Fusion (2017 I think) and I'm a beginner in the surf, weight is currently 85kgs and that will need to come down. I flat paddle this ok and the wave count is slowly but surely starting to come along but conditions at my local beaches are truly awful. Being unable to select my SUP days is also near impossible so my progress is frustratingly slow. I try to get out when I can and can encounter anything from flat clam to conditions where I'm kicking myself for not bringing my kite surfing gear.

The waves are often small, blown out mush that are basically a real mess and the sea state is often really choppy as well. I'm finding that the Fusion can turn quick enough to get on them when it's like this but isn't fast enough to actually catch them. I struggle with the chop but that's more of a me issue but the board needs a wave that's pretty decent to get going.

My head says stick with the Fusion and just keep at it and I will, but I don't see the harm in asking round to see what other people suggest as future options. UK doesn't have the greatest SUP market sadly. Starboard are here, JP are here, RRD, Naish, Fanatic and that's really about it.

Cheers all

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Considering a new board even though its probably a bad idea
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
There's nothing wrong with considering a new board (or actually buying a new one)!

Other brands that I've seen available here in the UK also include: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity, Sunova. Gong are also look promising but demos would require a trip to France!

Enjoy the research!

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
Jobe too. Not seen much Jimmy Lewis mind or Infinity.

Diolch SupCymru
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:56:27 AM by Noo Noo »

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »
Croeso!
Have a look at Surfs-sup watersports and northshore sup and surf. The suphut is also very good.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
Loco are another UK brand

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
I surf the UK south coast, so the conditions you describe are what I’ve been surfing for several decades, and SUPing for 12 years.

There are lots of boards you *could* use, but not so many that really shine in these conditions. Most have too much volume: in choppy crap a board that has plenty of planing area, decent length, but is low volume, works well. So do gun-shape boards, as long as the volume is low. Low volume boards are a lot more stable for their size, and don’t get blown around as much in windy mush. They also surf better. As an example, I recently bought a Hypr Nalu Hawaii 12-6 170L gun, and have been out several times in windy small mush, catching everything while those around me catch nothing. Small performance SUPs are pointless in small windy slow-wave mush: you’ll never get enough power from the wave to use the board’s potential. So it’s wishful silliness to go for a Kai Lenny type board.

Hypr Nalu Hawaii have a UK distributor/retailer. There are several boards in the range that would probably suit you. They are all quite thin, but not too narrow, and tend to have a fairly low rocker which makes them easy to paddle into mushy waves.

Buying SUPs in the UK is all about timing and contacts. UK retailers do not tend to hold much stock (if any), so you often have to order in advance and wait for a shipment to arrive. But it’s usually worth the wait.

Gong are a bargain, and you just order straight from France, and it appears on your doorstep. Redwood Paddle are another French brand that it’s easy to buy in the UK.

There are also retailers/distributors for e.g. Jimmy Lewis, Starboard, JP Australia, Naish, Fanatic, Quattro, RRD, f-one, Mistral, SIC, Surftech etc, plus a lot of local brands such as Snell Brothers Surf, Neptune, Mellow Wave, Loco, Fatstick etc etc. So there’s quite a lot to choose from once you start doing a bit of digging.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 12:20:49 AM »
Many thanks Area 10. I can relate to a lot of what you say. I'm in North Wales and shops selling SUP's are few and far between so you're relying on reviews, opinions and of course manufacturer bumph to a certain degree. And your point on timing etc. is exactly right. Even if you identify the board you're after there's no guarantee you'll find one or get it in any hurry. But even then there is still a considerable choice. 

I guess I need some help with a direction. What type of boards or what boards should I be looking at? My inexperience does not help matters in this regard at all. I can only really report on the struggles that I've had. I'll take note of your thoughts on board shape etc.

In my struggles thus far I've had

a) Fanatic Allwave 8'10" which was okish but again really struggled in chop etc. and nowhere near quick enough in the mush
b) 11'2" Starboard Widepoint. This was ok apart from being huge. Didn't get a lot of chance to use it before it delamed on me and resulted in a several month battle getting my money back.
c) Now the JP Fusion.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:37:44 AM by Noo Noo »

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:22 AM »
try UK based (West Sussex) SBS boards-
https://sbsboards.com/

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 01:48:02 AM »
Cheers

Is there any in the range that you would recommend?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 05:47:19 AM »
Noo Noo

I've ridden the JP Fusion 9'8 Extensively and it's is a very good board but needs a bit of a wave to push it!
In your case I would seriously concider

Fanatic AllWave 9'4
Starboard Wide point or Whopper 9'5

Either of these board will be a big improvement in everyday surf for you

Have fun

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 06:13:42 AM »
Huge thanks for the suggestions JimK

That is my basic and very inexperienced view on the Fusion too. It takes a fair bit of effort to get it going.

Slightly surprised at he Allwave. I found that a little stubborn too and pretty unpleasant in the chop when I had the 8' 10". I'd probably find it a bit better now however with the greater experience.

I do have a soft spot for the Widepoint, so I'm happy you made that suggestion. Despite the weight of it, I couldn't fault the board at that time. It was the delam issue that put me off Starboard for some time although my stance has softened a bit with time.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 07:00:16 AM »
Noo Noo

8'10 is the older wider nose (not good in heavy chop) plus 8'10 is to short
The NEW AllWave VCT's are less clunky, faster while still being super stable.

The 2 Starboards are good options too but NOBODY makes a board as well as FANATIC I've been dealing with them for 26 yrs (selling tons of them both SUP & Windsurfers) I can't remember the last Warranty request...Maybe Creek's 8'10 (like 6 or 7 years ago???) handle leak and they replaced the entire board and changed their construction.

Good Luck
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 12:41:42 AM »
@Area10 what can you tell me about the Hypr Nalu Hele, Malolo and Pono please.

There's very info little out there. They certainly look like very nice boards and the underside looks pretty unique

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 01:59:00 AM »
@Area10 what can you tell me about the Hypr Nalu Hele, Malolo and Pono please.

There's very info little out there. They certainly look like very nice boards and the underside looks pretty unique
Yes, they are pretty much a unique design. I was initially sceptical, to be frank. But now I’m not: just as the owner Ian Foo claims, these are fast boards.

I’m no expert in their board range - I only know the gun - so I’d suggest that you go and demo their boards if you can (the UK distributor is based in Poole). Google “Hypr Nalu Hawaii UK ”. His own board is a lovely looking 9-3 Malolo (I think). That, or the 10-3 version, in particular look like they’d be great boards for UK conditions, and I’m thinking about ordering one.

Gotta love this vid:

https://youtu.be/iQtiVV_39ZU

Personally. I’m not a great fan of the All Wave in our conditions: short, fat, high volume boards tend to be a bit corky and hard to control in windy mush. The Widepoint is more fun, but is perhaps not very special, aimed at an all-round market. I’ve been extremely disappointed with the paintwork of both the Naish and Fanatic surf SUPs I’ve bought recently: they have chipped like crazy. Whereas I paid literally half the price for two Gong boards and they have not chipped at all, and seem to be generally better made. IMO the big brands are mostly ripping us off in terms of build quality for the buck, especially for the most expensive construction versions.

But these are only my opinions. Others are no doubt available, especially from those who sell the boards.

I have no connection whatsoever to any of the brands I have mentioned (or any other brand). I’m just an ordinary punter who pays full cost for his boards.

Hope this helps.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 02:12:30 AM »
Thanks again

Yes it does help. Demo's are nightmare. Poole is probably a good 5hr drive (on a good run) so not really an option unless I end up heading down that way for some reason or other. Couriers wont carry them either. God knows how the shops manage to ship boards.  Thankfully I'm in no rush.

I've had a look at the Gong website too. Interesting stuff there too but again wider information is a little harder to come by.

To be honest it's a bit like poking round in the dark. You know there's a light switch out there somewhere but.............

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal