Author Topic: Lets talk about foils  (Read 4209 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Lets talk about foils
« on: May 20, 2019, 04:07:31 PM »
I'm almost a year into this experience and I'm more and more curious about trying a new foil.  I currently have a Go Foil IWA and M200.  They are both working well, but without having tried another brand, I can't really claim that they are better than anything else out there.  My question is for you folks that have tried different foils, are you seeing a big difference from one to another or are the differences more subtle?  Going from the IWA to the M200 I notice a difference in turning and the ability to pump, but its not a substantial difference.  Both wings will get the job done.  Is there a wing out there that made you say - "Damn! This wing is special?"

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Evan

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Lets talk about foils
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
I’ve owned a ton of foils. They keep getting better each year. Right now, Neil Pryde is my favorite. They were co-designed by F4 foils, in case you’re wondering how they pulled off such good wings. The mast is super stiff too.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
Carbon or aluminum?

I’ve owned a ton of foils. They keep getting better each year. Right now, Neil Pryde is my favorite. They were co-designed by F4 foils, in case you’re wondering how they pulled off such good wings. The mast is super stiff too.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 05:59:52 PM »
Aluminum. It was designed for windsurfing, so super stiff. They just ported it to their surf line.

They have a carbon one, but have yet to get my hands on one.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
I recently got onto the "Anglefoil" (but still using my Iwa and Maliko wings), and having an absolute blast on it...once I got all of its idiosyncrasies figured out (about 4-5 sessions). Love it because it lets the foil turn more like a "shortboard" compared to the straight mast being more of the "longboard" feel now. An added, unexpected, and wonderful bonus...is that because the board's pivot point is between my feet instead of under my rear foot...the pain that I always felt in my rear (25 y/o surgically repaired) knee is a complete thing of the past, and I've been pain free ever since the switch.

The takeoffs are now much easier as well, with the Iwa lifting like the Maliko did when on a straight mask...although I'm still not getting really much more noticeable pump back out with the angledfoil compared to the straight mast, but I'm thinking that's still more user error more so than the foil itself.

When you're at Sano again, hit me up, and you're more than welcome to give it a try. There's definitely another learning curve to it, but not nearly as bad as the initial learning to foil surf curve most of us have had.  :o :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »
I'm transitioning to Axis foils because the fuselage and general wing attachment method will make it easier for me to experiment with wing designs (I plan to pump wings out like crazy all summer). I bought mine with the 1020 wing which looks like one heck of a good wing design to get fat guys downwinding. I'm probably try some blown up versions of that as a first cut, just adding length to the basic shape to give progressively high aspect ratios.

I like the look of the Neil Pryde foils also, and the price is right. Everything else is kind of silly expensive now. Really, $1,400 for a wing and a mast? Someone's going to bust this out and do a good foil for $500 that can be upgraded. They'll own the market. Squeezing every nickel out makes for a big vulnerability.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:54:06 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:33:04 PM »
Lately I've been using a demo Axis75 on prone and 82 on sup.
The 75 feels good to me because it is right between the kai and the GF iwa. It is not as good the iwa for pumping but easier to do tight turns.

The 82 feels pretty similar to the IWA.

I would like to try the new Gofoil, Signature Albatross 210, the MFC 1600 and the new Lift 2??.

But like I said in another post, I'm looking forward trying the new Axis 900, from the reports I've got, it is really good and different in a good way.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:15 PM »
WHAAAAAAT!!!???...PonoBill youre ditching GoFoi?....yes yes i know the other...i know the other brands have the new high aspect wings available right now and youre impatient to get the new stuff...i am too...
..but....its GoFoil!...alex is not going to sit back and let the world pass him by ...you know that...and the new stuff is coming....and ....its.....GOOD...holeeee sheeeeoooot!...the new wings are good....

they got new ultra light Iwa and Maliko200  wings that make you go WOW!...this thing can flyyyyyyy...cause thats what i said...

and the new GL series 240 will.allow you to compete with kai lenny...
.I $#!T you NOT!...i tried the GL240 for 45 min last month on Maui in inconsistent 1 footers and  4 for ones were the norm...in fact the only reason i didnt do more is because the waves kept quitting...with the new wings you can actually catch every wave on the set if you want to
..every...single...wave😁
..all you guys with GoFoils oit there dont jump ship just yet ...you really want to be on board when this nextround of toys comes out.!😁

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
I get your stoke, and love your enthusiasm steamroller, but there are some of us who can't keep buying all new every time GF comes out with some new improvement. Hell, when they came out with their new longer masts awhile back, I called looking to buy just the mast (and fuselage), and was told I couldn't do that, and would have to buy it as a full set. When I said I didn't need or want two sets of the same wings...I was told to "just sell our old stuff, and buy the new set"....at FULL PRICE btw!! Yeah, right...smh.  >:( >:(

Nah, that's not gonna happen, and if/when my current GF wings become unserviceable of whatever reason(s)...I'm looking elsewhere for someone with a much better marketing strategy than planned antiquity of a modular set that they won't sell as modular components...and won't even discount their "new" sets to folks who have already spent a pretty penny on their old ones in the first place.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
Hey Sano

Are you running the Kings wings on your Angledfoil?  Did you also add some tracks on your old/new orange board to adapt to the Angle?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »
I'm using my GF wings, and yes, I had two sets of tracks installed on my boards during production...

...however, they additional set can be retrofitted after the fact if need be if someone was interested.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 11:34:11 AM »
did Dave D retrofit the Angled fuselage to fit the GF wings?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »
No, "Airboom" Ron is the one who makes all of the Angledfoil parts, and modifies the fuselages to fit either the Go Foil wings initially, and I just found out today that he just finished one that will now fit Dave D's Kings wings (Dave D got his angledfoil from Ron who did a one-off modification to fit a set of Dave's wings - until just recently - if that's what was confusing things :) ).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:16:46 PM by SanoSlatchSup »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
WHAAAAAAT!!!???...PonoBill youre ditching GoFoi?....yes yes i know the other...i know the other brands have the new high aspect wings available right now and youre impatient to get the new stuff...i am too...
..but....its GoFoil!...alex is not going to sit back and let the world pass him by ...you know that...and the new stuff is coming....and ....its.....GOOD...holeeee sheeeeoooot!...the new wings are good....

Nope, I'm not ditching GoFoil, just adding Axis. But the GoFoil design doesn't lend itself to upgrading parts. You have to be very knowledgeable about composite work to take a wing from one foil set and put it on a different mast--or just lucky that it happens to fit acceptably. That's a big limitation. I think sooner or later Alex is going to have to ditch the tapered square pin fuselage design in favor of something more robust and universal.

There isn't any way I could do what I plan to do with a GoFoil mast, it just doesn't lend itself to experimentation. Alex has to build a new mold for each wing design he tries. That's a lot of work for something that might not be any better.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:12:10 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 08:34:46 AM »
I have noticed a HUGE difference from foil to foil and especially from tail to tail.  I have yet to get on a v tail and like they way the ride.  A flat tail or mustache tail let's me ride the way I want, and being able to adjust the angle of the tail is also huge for me.

+1 on F4 / neil pryde / nsp those wings are really fast, stable, and carvable.  The swept 1700 wing is the best big wing I have tried, I can turn just as hard as on smaller wings.  I have ridden the 1325 from 2ft to 8ft+, the most versatile wing I have.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal