Author Topic: Sunova "Point Break' Review... an amazing 12' Surf SUP  (Read 31421 times)

supthecreek

Re: Sunova "Point Break' Review... an amazing 12' Surf SUP
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
So, other than being 2 inches wider, 20 liters more volume and more fin boxes, how is the Point Break different from the standard all around Search 12?

Simply put: nothing like the Search
except the both are long.... and have a pointy end.
and every Sunova shares the look and XXX Balsa construction.

ways they differ:
Point Break was designed from the ground up for maximum surf-ability... not as a multi-tasker
Point Break is wider, which gives more rail curve and hips to make it turn much easier.
Point Break has a rounded Pin Tail
Five fin boxes instead of one
The nose on the Point Break is fuller

Bert worked his magic on the rocker, fin placement and rail foil.
I don't profess to know anything about rail foil or rocker, Bert is an acclaimed, world class shaper. I leave it to him

They feel entirely different when paddling.

heres an easy way to compare the two:
compare the Point Break vid above.... to the vid below of the Search.... night and day.
The Search is a slow deliberate pivot turn and the Point Break is a smooth carving machine.
The Search is a blast to surf, but I only take it out on smaller days at soft, peeling or non breaking waves.
I will use the Point Break endlessly in lots of conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dh-O8HAdik&t=96s

Different sizes, but to even a quick glance, it's obvious that they are entirely different boards (pics below)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
I like that you set it up as Thruster.

I just bought a 4 3/4" +- FCS II Thruster set for the Outer Reef. This should speed it up a bit. I also bought an inexpensive 6 inch Futures center fin just to play around with and see how it affects it.

It came with a big 9 inch longboard fin with two small quad rears and it felt over finned. I've never understood the reasoning behind having big fins on longer boards. I don't think board length affects fin dynamics all that much, at least for the way I surf.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:20:40 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 05:12:12 PM »
The ad copy for the Outer Reef states... " custom 9″ TCPS single fin that’s big enough to offer an efficient flat-water stroke rate, while still allowing for easy turning."

So if you don't care about flat water tracking... 

Also, how big (tall/deep) are the quad rears that came with the board? Interesting to know if those supplied are the same size as the "recommended" 4.26" quad rears that you are urged to buy separately.

Ok back to the stylish Point Break...     
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:18:36 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 05:20:20 PM »
I use the Harley Longboard Tri, FCS 2. work very well in sups
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »
I actually think the center FCS box is a little limiting.  You can always throw an adapter into a US longboard box. (as most do for nubsters etc. I have two of them )

For long flatwater would be nice to throw a big fin in there to help tracking as said above.

either way board looks great!  Sure someone that concerned with the center box would just do a custom with a LB box.

Im still enamored with that 14 search.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
The ad copy for the Outer Reef states... " custom 9″ TCPS single fin that’s big enough to offer an efficient flat-water stroke rate, while still allowing for easy turning."

So if you don't care about flat water tracking... 

Also, how big (tall/deep) are the quad rears that came with the board? Interesting to know if those supplied are the same size as the "recommended" 4.26" quad rears that you are urged to buy separately.

Ok back to the stylish Point Break...     

I'll answer your question over on the Outer Reef thread.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supthecreek

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
and here we go.... another Badger hi-jack in progress.

I am sorry, but I am done being respectful to you.
you have several threads all about YOUR board.
And yet you must dominate every thread and redirect to YOUR conversation.

and please post a video.... a picture.... something, anything to back up all the words.  On your own thread.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »
I like that you set it up as Thruster.

I just bought a 4 3/4" +- FCS II Thruster set for the Outer Reef. This should speed it up a bit. I also bought an inexpensive 6 inch Futures center fin just to play around with and see how it affects it.

It came with a big 9 inch longboard fin with two small quad rears and it felt over finned. I've never understood the reasoning behind having big fins on longer boards. I don't think board length affects fin dynamics all that much, at least for the way I surf.

When it gets really big and the board starts to bounce down the face or you just reach a higher speed, that slightly longer center fins keep the board engaged.  I've had my small quads wash out on the face of an OH wave many times. I'll get forward (middle of the board) for speed on a high line and the tail slides out a little. Never happens running a 6"center - thruster setup. 9" no. You'd get pretty locked in with a 9".
This is the quad set I have now which I use 90% of the time. https://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com/p-2335-future-fins-rusty-r1-5-fin-set-br-smoke-hexbrused-from-finatic-free-shipping.aspx 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 06:33:54 PM »
and here we go.... another Badger hi-jack in progress.

I am sorry, but I am done being respectful to you.
you have several threads all about YOUR board.
And yet you must dominate every thread and redirect to YOUR conversation.

and please post a video.... a picture.... something, anything to back up all the words.  On your own thread.

I thought it might be interesting to talk about your Thruster set up. You inspired me to go the same route so I thought I should mention the fins I was going with.   :)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:36:30 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supthecreek

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 07:19:36 PM »
This isn't about fins and you know it.

Please.... re read all your comments on all of RbGars build threads and how you derailed them.... changed the conversation to suit you.

Years of comments bent on destroying the "Search".
Every thread, every video I posted.... there you are.

RbGar was excited about his custom, he shared his stoke with us.

You never missed an opportunity to disparage RbGar's design for being much too wide at 32"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allow me to recap your negative comments about his 32" wide board:

"but 32" still seems unnecessarily wide for a 12 footer IMO. "

"I'm surprised he widened it by two inches.
That is going to slow the board down and decrease glide.
Do you really need that much stability in a 12 foot board? "

"There is a ton of surface area there working to slow the board down."

"It might take a heavier rider to move such a big wide board."

"The hips and shoulders of the board are fairly wide which takes away from the boards ability to glide."

"Adding 2" to the width is going to slow it down even more and adding 19 liters to the volume isn't going to help IMO."

"To me, the whole reason for having a 12 foot board is the increased glide. I want to get into waves as early as possible and then be able to turn and carve once on the wave."

"If a 12 or 14 foot board can't catch a wave significantly earlier than a 10 footer of the same width, there is little point in surfing it."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you went out and bought a 32" wide board.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 08:28:53 PM »
I have to agree with Rick 110%. I’ve silently kept up with the threads about rgbar’s custom and it’s been fun to see his idea take shape and finally see the end result, however, I’ve become tired of badger’s endless passive aggressive criticisms and “IMO” statements. Enough badgering already.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »
i call it

TIRE-KICKING

bad habit -- a real buzzkill

anyway, about the point break...........

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:09:33 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 03:16:50 AM »
It was not my intention to derail anything. You guys are reading into my comments and imagining some sort of passive aggression that isn't there. All those comments that Rick quoted above seem sound to me. I'm sorry if people are taking them the wrong way. In the future I will try to be more sensitive of how others might be taking what I write.

I'm not perfectly happy with the Outer Reef and am certainly not promoting it over the Point Break, but being a large board, it has something in common with the Point Break and I thought it was relevant to the conversation to bring it up. Running thrusters on boards this big is unusual and is an idea worth exploring.

Now that the Point Break has arrived and we're getting more information on it and seeing videos, I'm intrigued to the idea. That's why I've been asking questions about the volume, rails and any other aspects of the design that separate it from the Search. The Point Break seems like a step in the right direction.

Years ago, I did have the Search 14' for a couple of weeks and used it quite a bit in that time. I still stand behind my comments on that board. My main complaint was and still is that the description of the board on the website is misleading.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:02:29 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supthecreek

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
I like this picture.
Another solo session on my Point Break. Peaceful.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 01:40:28 PM »
Creek is out there doing some shark hunting by-h'self. Can you hear the music, Ricky?  ...dummm ...dummm ...dum

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal