Author Topic: Any info on new GoFoil Wings  (Read 17922 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any info on new GoFoil Wings
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
Looking forward to this new gl wings as I recently acquired the M200 and liking it at 80kg/177lb.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 08:48:11 PM »
Aloha,

The efficiency and carry jump out at me with these type of wings.  Also Derek's stance.  Really curious to hear if they are easier to DW with...

I'm wondering what are existing Gofoil owners going to do to get these new wings? 

I'm guessing gofoil won't sell the wings as an add on, and therefore either need to sell existing foil and re-up for an entire new set, or buy an entire new foil that's incompatible with the existing foil??? 

I'd love to see a universal wing mount so that us foil addicts only need to buy wings instead of an entire foil anytime some new wing design comes along...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
I'm wondering what are existing Gofoil owners going to do to get these new wings? 

I'm guessing gofoil won't sell the wings as an add on, and therefore either need to sell existing foil and re-up for an entire new set, or buy an entire new foil that's incompatible with the existing foil??? 

I'd love to see a universal wing mount so that us foil addicts only need to buy wings instead of an entire foil anytime some new wing design comes along...
Yep, good question...and if it's the former of buying all new again, that's what I'll do...buy all new from someone else who's already into the interchangeable component game. Because I'm not interesting in having to start all over again every time the "next best" mast, wing, stab, or whatever comes out.

Love the Go Foil wings...but not so much to become a rolling foil swap meet every time they come out with something new that I'd like try.  :(

So, anyone want to buy a full Go Foil set with your choice of either the Maliko 200, Iwa, or Kai wing sets? Let's make a deal. ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »
According to TJ at Big Winds in Hood River, GoFoil is selling everything ala-carte starting this summer.  All the new wings and masts will be cross compatible.  Old wings or old masts can still be used, but might require some sanding or shimming to work with the new generation.  Sounds like they'll have the new GL wings in late July.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 07:12:50 AM »
Aloha,

The efficiency and carry jump out at me with these type of wings.  Also Derek's stance.  Really curious to hear if they are easier to DW

If they are anything like the Signature Albatross High aspect wing then I'd say more difficult to get up on foil (more effort/technique required). Once on foil they definitely pump better, but don't be fooled, your techniques has to be on point. So in short, easier to DWD if your techniques is good, harder if it isn't - no free lunches it seems.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2019, 07:28:12 AM »
what size wing is derek on?  is that the new IWA sized wing or the M200?  The mast looks larger as well.  He pumps pretty effortlessly in that vid.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
According to TJ at Big Winds in Hood River, GoFoil is selling everything ala-carte starting this summer.  All the new wings and masts will be cross compatible.  Old wings or old masts can still be used, but might require some sanding or shimming to work with the new generation.  Sounds like they'll have the new GL wings in late July.

They'll have to push the limits on composite molding to do that. The mast pegs can be fairly precise, especially if they are ground to size (they don't look to be currently, except for cleaning up the mold marks), but the tapered holes in the wing and stabilizer will be more problematic. I helped Rod Parmenter get a new stabilizer to fit his mast yesterday, it appears to be from a new mold, maybe a new process, and it was substantially too small. Generally I prefer to test fit the parts with a little silicon grease on the mast peg so I can see where the tight areas are, and then sand the inside of the holes with coarse sandpaper glued to a properly sized stick to get rid of the high spots. In this case if I did that I'd still be sanding--the high spots were super high. I don't like to sand the mast because that makes it unlikely to fit other wings or stabs, but it was the only choice. A little time on my belt grinder and we got it to fit well. A reasonable decision since he won't be swapping stabilizers, and it wasn't an extreme amount of grinding.

But still, the previous GoFoil approach of sizing wings and stabilizers to a single mast wasn't some kind of attempt to sell more sets, it's simply a function of what is possible with the tapered peg design and composite molding. It's not really a high-precision process without machining the parts  to a standard size after molding, and I'm not sure how you would do that with the tapered wing and stabilizer holes.

Silicon Grease, by the way, is magic for GoFoil fitting. If a wing or stabilizer is close enough to see some of the screw hole but a firm whack won't make the hole line up, then check the mast peg and the hole for any obvious high spots, sand a little if necessary, but then apply a little silicon grease to the peg, rub in all over, then wipe off the excess. The same firm whack will now seat the peg completely. One application lasts a very long time and won't attract grit if you wipe off all the excess. I use a thick grease intended for lubricating the rubber tracks for electric windows. If your car windows are straining you need this stuff anyway. My P.O.S. Xterra in Maui has been toasting it's window motors. I replaced the front ones but not the back--they needed to be helped to close by pushing if someone unwisely opened them. One application of grease in the rubber tracks and they zip up and down. Good stuff for GoFoil and POS cars.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:35:36 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »
We bought Go Foils and the sets were customized by the seller to offer some combo choices that GoFoil does not currently offer.  They were not matched serial numbers.  The fit was way off.  None of the parts fit together.  On some the screw holes were a full cm apart even with major mallet (scary mallet - and then hard to separate).  I returned those sets and got two matched sets.  Not exactly what we wanted but close enough.  All the serials matched.  One light tap of the mallet and they are perfect (all wings and stabilizers).  I don't mind sanding or shimming a fin to fit a box but its a different story at this price point. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »
I haven't had to do this but drilling an extra hole in the tail-wing for example would NOT be the end of the world.

You could also drill from the other side, top or bottom of the assembly to match up with the internal stainless nut.  If it was snug it could be all good.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2019, 02:22:58 PM »
what size wing is derek on?  is that the new IWA sized wing or the M200?  The mast looks larger as well.  He pumps pretty effortlessly in that vid.

This video says GL180 in the title...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLuznsme98k

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »
I'm got lucky I guess as all my Gofoil fittings fitted well and no issue whatsoever. Only take less than a minute to change wing combo to suit the conditions. My beginner foil skill, however, is the only let down  :)
I have the IWA & M200 fronts with Kai & Maliko rears & 28" mast. I won't be getting the GL wings once released and will wait till I figure out how to fly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »
I haven't had to do this but drilling an extra hole in the tail-wing for example would NOT be the end of the world.

You could also drill from the other side, top or bottom of the assembly to match up with the internal stainless nut.  If it was snug it could be all good.

One of the aftermarket gofoil wings has an oval-shaped hole for just that reason. Even if they managed to hold a tight tolerance the GoFoil masts are not all alike. I've seen a few folks drill extra holes. I prefer to make the parts fit. It's not that hard but it doesn't solve the underlying problem of limited precision. I'll be interested to see what they come up with. Obviously even if they manage to increase precision of the new parts that doesn't mean they will fit existing sets.

I don't know what the full range of variation is. I got a 280 wing from a friend that was quite loose. I built it up with a thin layer of chopped carbon and epoxy using my mast as a mandrel. I used a good mold release, but it didn't want to let go. I had to warm it and whale on the wing with the mast in a padded vise to get the pieces apart. A bit spooky, just before it let go I was considering resigning myself to having a permanently installed wing.

My long mast has a smaller wing plug than my 24". For that I just used a single layer of aluminum tape on a side and top. I don't know how thick that tape is, but it ain't much, and it took the fit from wobbly to firm.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2019, 11:12:16 PM »
I  just got a  Gofoil IWA/M200/M280 set, only used the M200 till now and like it a lot.

The 3 wings fit perfectly on the mast.

I just hope the new wings will also fit on it ...

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
Just finished my 41.5" wide higher aspect wing.  It has a very slight dihedral, starting at the root which gently bends, gently, almost flat, to anhedral and only dips down to pronounced anhedral in the last 4 inches , nearer to the wing tip.  Used 1.5 degrees of washout.   As that video shows, there does not seem to be any difficulty in bank turns.  I also do not realize any drop during turns.  I'm happy as well as the guys who have tried the new GL wing.  Maybe GL stands for Gull wing?  BTW-  That video is frickin amazing!
Could you post some pics. of your wing and give an update on how it rides?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal