Author Topic: Any info on new GoFoil Wings  (Read 17891 times)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any info on new GoFoil Wings
« on: May 20, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Saw a GF Insta post over the weekend announcing new GL Wings.  "The GL is a new flat style wing that comes in three sizes,180,210,240"

Just curious if any of you over in the foil capital has any insights.  thanks.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any info on new GoFoil Wings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:15:35 AM »
call.Karla right now
..tell her you would like to be put on the list for the new GL wing and tail.....no matter what she says itll cost....pay it😁.....you will NOT be disappointed....i actially told.her.i dont.care what itll cost...i NEED that new wing...i made the mistake of tryimg it out couple.weeks ago before they had that pump contest at waikiki so they couldnt let me buy one and now ive lost all the will to surf with the old stuff...totally spoiled...

i could actually do figure 8's in the flats with that damn thing...its that good ...i dont.mean spin around in a pirouette left and then right..
i mean an actual pumping carving figure 8 after ive kicked out of the wave and pumped back out to the lineup but the set is over....THEN pump around in a left.circle
..and an right circle...

if you've seen the derek hamasaki videos...thats what he's riding...the new GL series wings...he's real good anyway but the GL wings make a really big difference

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:23:23 AM »
Pictures? 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:59:23 AM »
call.Karla right now
..tell her you would like to be put on the list for the new GL wing and tail.....no matter what she says itll cost....pay it😁.....you will NOT be disappointed..

What size do you recommend?  I weigh 185.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »
Gofoil back in the game (althought they have not been out ;) ) it is nice to see the evolution.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:49:26 AM »
Alex was testing these wings most of the winter on Maui, quite a few of the better foilers had a shot at them and really liked them, the competition to use them got fairly fierce in the polite way that characterizes this bunch of people.

The biggest advantage I could see was basic efficiency, which is, of course, what you'd expect from higher aspect, flatter wings. They didn't seem to turn well, which is also as expected, and people using them who typically did banked turns well, were doing the kind of flatter, tentative turns that I'm still stuck doing. But they were also staying up without pumping, staying higher longer, and when they did pump they seem to get a lot more out of it.

If course the signature and axis foils have included flat, high aspect wings in their repertoire for quite a while, so GoFoil is playing catch up here. Alex has some newer designs under his hat. He was going to show one to me but I made the mistake of saying I was planning to make a bunch of wings this summer to experiment, so he didn't show me his new toys. I should have made it clear that I'm just doing personal experiments--no commercial intent--but he's right to be careful.

I've been studying high efficiency foil wings for a while, and I'd say surf foil designers are a long way from peaking out on what is feasible. But there's lots of pressure to improve and good competition considering how small this market must currently be.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 06:51:57 AM »
I was talking to laird in the water other day. Asked him if he’s tried any of these high aspect wings from any of the companies. He mentioned not liking flat skinny high aspect wings as they go up and down, so pump, really well but when you do a turn they sink into the water.

Has anyone that has ridden one confirm or deny this type of behavior?

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 07:18:25 AM »
I was talking to laird in the water other day. Asked him if he’s tried any of these high aspect wings from any of the companies. He mentioned not liking flat skinny high aspect wings as they go up and down, so pump, really well but when you do a turn they sink into the water.

Has anyone that has ridden one confirm or deny this type of behavior?

Dave Kalama said that those wings are not for all conditions, he didn't explain much.

For Laird, I don't know but to me he seems to ride bigger waves so maybe those new wings don't handle bigger waves ??

I can see those foils super efficient on small mushy waves and better for pumping than turning.

Still a lot to improve, that is where you see the difference with brands really working on R&D and the one that just follow the trend...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 08:12:46 AM »
....but when you do a turn they sink into the water.

Another way to state this.....they side slip to the inside of a turn, if you allow speed to drop off.

That’s my experience with flat surf wings. Not the current type, but older ones.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 10:27:02 AM »
It's mostly a matter of the lift dynamics and how the wing responds to being banked and turned. Any wing in a turn will be going slower on the inside wingtip and faster on the outside wingtip. It's a small difference in speed but a big difference in lift since lift increases as the square of velocity. So the inside wing has less lift and the outside wing has more. With a high aspect (longer) wing the effect is magnified, so as the wing moves through a turn the inside automatically loses lift and drops while the outside wing gains lift and rises--instant banking, whether you like it or not. People tend to immediately and unconsciously compensate for this so their turns become tentative and less well controlled. If you turn hard with a flat wing you can irresistibly fall to the inside of the turn unless you are totally committed to the turn and have the power and balance to overcome the banking at the end of the turn.

That, of course, is the effect Laird is talking about.

Curved low-aspect anhedral wings develop most of their lift close to the fuselage, and the wingtips develop some of their lift at a vector angle away from the rider and the board. As you start a turn the inside wing loses a little lift, and the wingtip is turned more sharply to the direction of travel (remember the outer wingtip is moving faster, in a bigger circle than the inside wingtip, so the turn angle doesn't change as fast), acting like a rudder helping you turn. In a bank the wingtip on the outer wing gets a little more flat and so generates some additional lift, but the bulk lift of that side of the wing doesn't change much, so it doesn't bank out of control. in essence it's like having wingtip rudders that automatically act to tighten up the turn.

One of my experiments this summer will be with a high aspect, long wing that minimizes this effect--something on the nature of a gullwing, but with the anhedral angle starting at the root of the wing and the upward curve of the gullwing making the middle third of the wing flat to the board, with the wingtip curving back down to create the rudder effect. Might suck out loud, but I won't know until I try it.

Some very sophisticated sailplanes use different foil sections along the wing to make the wing have a characteristic the designer prefers. No free lunches in wing design, but things can be designed with a purpose before we start getting into movable flaps and ailerons. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:38:37 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »
i rode the GL 210...and it was perfect!...like WOW this thing is good!...i think theres also an size smaller and size bigger too...didnt have time to try them out

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 06:12:49 PM »
i rode the GL 210...and it was perfect!...like WOW this thing is good!...i think theres also an size smaller and size bigger too...didnt have time to try them out

This is not really helping, it would be good if you can give more details to actually inderstand why it is better.

kamalino808

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »

This is not really helping, it would be good if you can give more details to actually inderstand why it is better.

New GL wing https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GcDxYOENA&t=1s

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »

New GL wing https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GcDxYOENA&t=1s

1''32 riding !

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 05:50:20 AM »
Just finished my 41.5" wide higher aspect wing.  It has a very slight dihedral, starting at the root which gently bends, gently, almost flat, to anhedral and only dips down to pronounced anhedral in the last 4 inches , nearer to the wing tip.  Used 1.5 degrees of washout.   As that video shows, there does not seem to be any difficulty in bank turns.  I also do not realize any drop during turns.  I'm happy as well as the guys who have tried the new GL wing.  Maybe GL stands for Gull wing?  BTW-  That video is frickin amazing!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:54:49 AM by SUPeter »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM