Author Topic: Stay unpopular - comment on foiling  (Read 7378 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stay unpopular - comment on foiling
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 05:42:17 AM »
Well OK, if comparing apples to oranges is the point of the thread, compare a sup guy to this...

https://youtu.be/1doug0ZGI_s?t=301 (warning: turn the volume off if foul-worded lyrics aren't your thing)

...kinda silly, huh?

you guys are killing me. I just started sup surfing, and then this comes along. Luckily I can't afford to foil sup.....yet
As was pointed out - which I agree with - that is not your typical sup foiler there, and there's only a very slight few doing those kinds of thing on them.

But that also doesn't mean that the rest of the sup foil world are just "going straight" - as was implied by the OP - just because one guy in one video (titled "Foiling 500-1000M Waves" no less) is going straight for, yes...500-1000M just like the title.  ::)

If ya just started sup surfing, you've got plenty of fun times trying to get the most out of your new found sport, but after a few years when you get bummed because there's days in the years that the waves aren't conducive to suping...you might think about throwing a foil on the bottom of that board, and be amazed at just how fun, and how many more waves you can catch that used to be "unrideable".

Once you get the hang of it, and can do more than just "going straight" when you want to...I think you'll really think it to be a great investment for more time on the water in conditions that would otherwise have you sitting on the beach bitchin' about them.  :D

I am certainly having fun, and on my shore-break east coast situation, I've heard that it isn't ideal conditions for foiling, at least in the waves.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:39 PM »
I'm going to talk about this in an upcoming video but...

So I've been foiling exclusively for almost a year.  The first several sessions involved a lot of crashes and a handful of relatively minor injuries (cracked ribs, lost toenails, tons of bruises) but I loved the learning curve and always left the beach happy.  As I got better at foiling, it became more fun and I thought less and less about surfing SUP.  Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago.  I'm in Costa Rica and I've been foiling down there for a week.  My buddy and I decide to SUP at an outer reef that is too shallow and hollow for foils.  I caught about 6-7 waves in the session.  The waves were big and fun and all I wanted was my foil.  After a year flying in the air, SUP felt cumbersome. The turning wasn't as exciting, the friction on the water was a drag (pun intended), and the overall experience left me wanting more.  Mind you, a year before I surfed the same spot and I was sooooo stoked.  But a year of foiling has changed the way I approach riding waves and I have almost zero desire to go back to SUP.  Foiling has completely taken over and I really love it. 

Your experience may vary, but I'm fully committed to the foil.  I can't wait to see where the sport grows from here. 

Evan

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »
Just for the record, that video was shot by our Australian team riders and I'm sorry to say that have not surfed this amazing spot.  I have to admit that the SUP surfer in the beginning is ripping while Nathan Cross, the featured foiler in this video is just going down the line.  In Nathan's defense, he has not been foiling for very long when this was shot, so I think he was happy to just make the wave.  Carving is pretty awesome on a foil but when you are starting out, just going straight is a handful and the smooth speed feels amazing.
This is a short video of our young teamrider Zane Saenz who has been foiling for less than a year and just got a new 3'8" prone board.  He rarely goes in a straight line:
https://youtu.be/uXyIIIsRf-Y

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:38:09 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 06:50:37 PM »
that kid can turn BP  8)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
going straight on a foil is not the same feeling as going straight on normal board.  When you get locked in flying down the line, the speed is quite exhilarating

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
going straight on a foil is not the same feeling as going straight on normal board.  When you get locked in flying down the line, the speed is quite exhilarating

My buddy got his BP Easy Foiler the other day, and we took it out for the first time yesterday afternoon in unbreaking, knee-high rollers, and it was amazing. Only "flying" for a couple of seconds at a time, but what a rush. Easy to catch the wave, and as soon as it lifts, the way everything goes silent, and the acceleration is unreal.

Watching all the videos, was totally prepared for the lift, and setting it right back down as gently as possible, but wasn't ready for the acceleration and speed. I love the small days just riding a race board straight, and this is next level.   

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »

My buddy got his BP Easy Foiler the other day, and we took it out for the first time yesterday afternoon in unbreaking, knee-high rollers, and it was amazing. Only "flying" for a couple of seconds at a time, but what a rush. Easy to catch the wave, and as soon as it lifts, the way everything goes silent, and the acceleration is unreal.

Watching all the videos, was totally prepared for the lift, and setting it right back down as gently as possible, but wasn't ready for the acceleration and speed. I love the small days just riding a race board straight, and this is next level.
Awesome, stoked to read this Okiwild.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal