Author Topic: Foamular Adhesives and Properties  (Read 6282 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Foamular Adhesives and Properties
« on: May 18, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
I am about to repair a broken FOIL BOX. 

I am taking OUT 2 tracks and putting in a Tuttle Box.

This will be my 4th Tuttle installation and/or repair  :o

The plan is to use the Purple Foamular from Home Depot as the foam substrate and to then cut out a cavity for a tuttle box.

I will use Gorilla Glue to laminate the 2 X 1" Foamular layers, 2" thick to fill the void, and then install the Tuttle Box into a hole I will route through the purple foam in the board. 

I have found evidence that Gorilla glue will adhere to the Foamular.  I am hoping that the Epoxy and Glass / Carbon will also adhere.

Any experienced perspectives welcome.

https://www2.owenscorning.com/literature/pdfs/foam-product-declaration.pdf
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:22:26 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foamular Adhesives and Properties
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 03:19:10 PM »
I am optimistic this will

1) Save weight or be weight neutral on the board alone.  A Tuttle weighs ~ 13 oz.  Each Track is 6 oz

2) Be Stronger.  I have installed Tuttles that have withstood massive abuse. 

3) Reduce the weight of this total rig because I can eliminate the need for the adapter on my GoFoils.

Photo is weight of Single extracted track.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:24:34 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:11:54 AM »
Any love here? 

Going to start putting this together soon.  Will the epoxy adhere effectively to the foamular?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:55:31 AM »
Don't have any practical experience with Foamular but it is an XPS.  (XPS got a bad rap in the industry for gassing out and causing delams.)  But, with such a small area of Foamular, is gassing really going to be an issue here?

I think the key is bonding the top deck to the bottom skin with the actual Tuttle box.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 07:03:35 AM »
This is good information Bean.  If outgassing is the only problem I 'should' be ok using for a small patch.

I think this Foamular stuff is more dense and durable than beer cooler foam which may make it a decent cassette around the already surrrounded tuttle cassette.

More on the top vs. bottom deck later.  But I have evidence that all the hold is coming from the TOP deck.  The bottom needs to be solid but if the top is bombproof the rig holds together.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 12:12:14 PM »
Curious how this worked out.  Found this thread while doing a search for "XPS" as I'm wondering about setting finboxes in it instead of Divinycell.  Way more easy to get it at Home  Depot.

Your thoughts on this?
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
Just matters how much more strength you need. If it's in 1 lb eps then there is little to no strength there. Only support is from the surface glass. I've used higher density foam for fin box cassettes in a few boards. Still busted the fin boxes out again.... When a fin hits a reef bottom (because I wasn't paying attention) I'm not sure even PVC foam (Divinycell) would help.

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Hdpe-Marine-Board-White-Sheet-HDPWEM~SH.php?thickness=0.500&dim2=12&dim3=12&src=adwordspla&utm_source=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=na&utm_content=plastic%20sheets-HDPWEM%20SH&gclid=CjwKCAjw0tHoBRBhEiwAvP1GFdNF5IYSWLF-e1Jx4GWociMilDaJrspg_cHKvHIS6xqgxecGy66vdhoCQx8QAvD_BwE

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
Just matters how much more strength you need. If it's in 1 lb eps then there is little to no strength there. Only support is from the surface glass. I've used higher density foam for fin box cassettes in a few boards. Still busted the fin boxes out again.... When a fin hits a reef bottom (because I wasn't paying attention) I'm not sure even PVC foam (Divinycell) would help.

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Hdpe-Marine-Board-White-Sheet-HDPWEM~SH.php?thickness=0.500&dim2=12&dim3=12&src=adwordspla&utm_source=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=na&utm_content=plastic%20sheets-HDPWEM%20SH&gclid=CjwKCAjw0tHoBRBhEiwAvP1GFdNF5IYSWLF-e1Jx4GWociMilDaJrspg_cHKvHIS6xqgxecGy66vdhoCQx8QAvD_BwE

Point taken.  I figure if I've got to repair a busted finbox, might as well put something more substantial in there.  Do you have any concerns about foamular stuff or the link you shared as far as de-laming?  Read some stuff about XPS being a problem.

Also, is there any difference between the HDPE and Divinycell?  The main reason I was looking at the stuff at Home Depot was cost savings.  Given the price for HDPE, I might as well go with Divinycell.  Know that stuff and have worked with it.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
That was kinda a joke. HDPE is a very high density PVC plastic. Not really a foam. It's PVC cutting board material  ;D That would not break if you put a fin box in it!
The best thing to use is a higher density PU surf foam. The most dense is 'Tow-In' foam. As you can see from the chart below, it's super dense. Tow-in boards need to be super strong and very heavy to maintain high speeds and big bumps. The nice thing is it's white so the patch doesn't stand out. Divinycell is kinda brownish and doesn't look good if the boards not to be painted. I bought a chunk of Tow-in foam that I used on my fin box repairs. I bought the chunk off a friend of mine, so I'm not sure of the real cost? I bet it's cheaper than Divinycell. 

https://usblanks.com/blank-options/density-selection/

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 01:55:32 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »
That was kinda a joke. HDPE is a very high density PVC plastic. Not really a foam. It's PVC cutting board material  ;D That would not break if you put a fin box in it!

Joke? This is serious stuff here!   ;)  I probably would have caught on somewhere around the sanding stage....

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal