General > The Shape Shack

Foamular Adhesives and Properties

(1/2) > >>

Beasho:
I am about to repair a broken FOIL BOX. 

I am taking OUT 2 tracks and putting in a Tuttle Box.

This will be my 4th Tuttle installation and/or repair  :o

The plan is to use the Purple Foamular from Home Depot as the foam substrate and to then cut out a cavity for a tuttle box.

I will use Gorilla Glue to laminate the 2 X 1" Foamular layers, 2" thick to fill the void, and then install the Tuttle Box into a hole I will route through the purple foam in the board. 

I have found evidence that Gorilla glue will adhere to the Foamular.  I am hoping that the Epoxy and Glass / Carbon will also adhere.

Any experienced perspectives welcome.

https://www2.owenscorning.com/literature/pdfs/foam-product-declaration.pdf

Beasho:
I am optimistic this will

1) Save weight or be weight neutral on the board alone.  A Tuttle weighs ~ 13 oz.  Each Track is 6 oz

2) Be Stronger.  I have installed Tuttles that have withstood massive abuse. 

3) Reduce the weight of this total rig because I can eliminate the need for the adapter on my GoFoils.

Photo is weight of Single extracted track.

Beasho:
Any love here? 

Going to start putting this together soon.  Will the epoxy adhere effectively to the foamular?

Bean:
Don't have any practical experience with Foamular but it is an XPS.  (XPS got a bad rap in the industry for gassing out and causing delams.)  But, with such a small area of Foamular, is gassing really going to be an issue here?

I think the key is bonding the top deck to the bottom skin with the actual Tuttle box.

Beasho:
This is good information Bean.  If outgassing is the only problem I 'should' be ok using for a small patch.

I think this Foamular stuff is more dense and durable than beer cooler foam which may make it a decent cassette around the already surrrounded tuttle cassette.

More on the top vs. bottom deck later.  But I have evidence that all the hold is coming from the TOP deck.  The bottom needs to be solid but if the top is bombproof the rig holds together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version