Author Topic: Paddleboarder in Sunset Cliffs Assault Case Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison  (Read 2127 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wow, they really socked it to him.  I think he got what he deserved and in the long run this will be a good lesson for him.  He should be thankful is sentence wasn't longer.
https://obrag.org/2019/05/defendant-in-sunset-cliffs-assault-case-sentenced-to-5-years-in-prison/

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
He got lucky on several levels.
Main one being, he could've killed the guy. Second thing being he could've gone away on attempted murder charges which could've given him a much stiffer sentence.

From the sounds of things he clocked the guy from behind since the blow was the back of his head(which in my book is chicken sh*t).

Having grown up surfing, in my days there were plenty of times my buddies and I went into territorial waters. Plenty of square offs in the water. None of which involved weapons. It was always toe to toe so to speak. Most of the time it involved a couple punches thrown and sometimes a lights out dive. After a couple of blows though, it was always broken apart and everyone just chilled. So long as nobody dropped into each other's waves.

It kinda s*cked a lot of times because, damn, it was SURFING!!! It's supposed to be about "the ride man" and chillin' with chicks!!! Eventually everyone grew up and got the idea.....mostly. There were always those certain areas where that just wasn't the case.

Where this guy's going for the next 5 years, he's going to understand what it feels like to get hit from behind.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
So I’m clear here. Was he sentenced for the act of SUP or for the assault?

If it was assault, will he be sentenced separately for the SUP?

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

It could be a concurrent sentence if he's lucky.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

Two years for assault w/ a deadly weapon, and 3 years for causing great bodily harm, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune, but it doesn't say if they will be served concurrently.
I hope it's not concurrent, no aloha, no freedom!
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal