Author Topic: Cheap tiny POV HD for everyone...  (Read 5125 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap tiny POV HD for everyone...
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 06:44:45 AM »
yep--not so into first person--kook cam is ok--the rest make me car sick

and gopro stock, as predicted here on the zone long ago, by me and others, has been relegated to the shitter

traded 87 in 2014--been single digits since 3Q 2016---trades 7 bux now

dji, otoh, is an amazing company---privately held, chinese
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »
This is the one to watch.  DJI guys are wizards.

https://www.dji.com/osmo-action

Many boards have a GoPro mount built into it so one can attach a GoPro camera. I went all over that site to see if I could find if this camera could be attached into a GoPro Mount. I did not find any info on this.

When I looked at the young woman underwater on her surfboard, in a segment of the sample video, I noticed this camera looked like it was being held in place onto the top of the board by a flat suction (cup?) type of device. If this is the case, then this is an automatic deal breaker for me.

It uses the same GoPro mount style. It's included in the box.
in progress...

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »
With standard POV cams you end up with about 1 minute of good footage for every 30 minutes shot. This Rylo 360 cam is the way to go now...

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »

Many boards have a GoPro mount built into it so one can attach a GoPro camera. I went all over that site to see if I could find if this camera could be attached into a GoPro Mount. I did not find any info on this.

When I looked at the young woman underwater on her surfboard, in a segment of the sample video, I noticed this camera looked like it was being held in place onto the top of the board by a flat suction (cup?) type of device. If this is the case, then this is an automatic deal breaker for me.

It uses the same GoPro mount style. It's included in the box.

Thank you very much for the updated info. It is much appreciated.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »
I know that Soloshot 3's are a bit pricey but considering the money we pay for boards, paddles, wetsuits, etc., the product one can obtain can not be out done (a side from maybe a drone).....

I've got soooooo many hours of video that I've used as a training tool which has been invaluable  - and lot's of still images which are easily captured and exported.  I've framed several 8"x10" shots and even blew up one image (below) to a 3'x4' poster (and built a frame from home depot molding for less than 10 bucks.  SOOOOOO worth the Soloshot!   

(Oh, as far as performance): Early on I had a minor tracking problem for one or two sessions but I've had probably somewhere between 50-100 sessions with nary a problem (and all on Water/tight setting).  I did all the software updates as they were released too...hasn't been any for months now).  Works like a dream!

Do yourself a favor!!!  You won't regret it!!!!

apologies for the diverge...  ;)
I’ve used the GoPro front mounted on the board and also on the paddle handle, cool but the paddle handle gets viewers sea sick and can get old.  I was fortunate to purchase a refurbished Soloshot 25 for $299 and it works pretty good.  I probably post too much of my videos but I personally do like to watch and break down my style.  I thought I was better than my videos show and the waves don’t look as critical or big as the video presents but oh well.  I still think a Soloshot camera is the best view imo.  Probably a combination of the GoPro and Soloshot is cool too.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »
My best surfing shots are from a professional photographer who is at SanO occasionally. It I'll cost me $50 ea session, but they are incredibly sharp and zoomed in. He shots video too if you want it. I have footage from when SurferCook let me wear a tag with his SoloShot. It's really good, but sketchy to use at most SoCal beaches. Someone will either steal it or damage it for no reason.

Can't use a SoloShot for Open water paddling of any kind, fishing, mountain biking or skiing or hiking or snorkeling or surfing outer reefs. If all you can do is beach breaks, then it's less worth it. Good training tool. I like drone video as well. They have waterproof, floating drones that have follow me that I'm also interested in. https://www.wellbots.com/swellpro-spry-waterproof-drone/?dfw_tracker=14110-2664&gclid=CjwKCAjwlPTmBRBoEiwAHqpvhVZljZeWuOsHUnkWNGVOcNN97EUjySstwTArZ7vaLs_OJzAqshUM8xoCrYoQAvD_BwE
I would probably get one of these rather than a SoloShot. Even more uses for my business. Write off!

These little Polaroid cubes are almost disposable. I might get a couple to give to my kids for their summer activities and their social media crap.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »
It was asked so I’ll answer.

720, 1080 and 2K and 4K are all frame sizes. This refers to the number of pixels in the image. Weirdly, 720 and 1808 refer to the height while 2 and 4K refer to the width. Good times.

4K is gigantic compared to 1080, more data captured means more data you have to playback while editing. However, it’s pretty great for cropping to frame shots after the fact and you can use image stabilization without losing any video if you downrez to 1080 from a 4K master. Big digital cinema cameras shoot 8K now so you can sort of choose your shot in editing.

For 99% of screens and 100% of the mess we all shoot, even 1080 is probably overkill. ;). That Polaroid is amazing for the price. Thx for that.

https://www.lifewire.com/4k-resolution-overview-and-perspective-1846842

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 05:18:02 AM »
Thanks cowboy, that was very helpful. Now I understand.   8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 06:59:22 AM »
Cowboys response gave me an epiphany--image stabilization is just a matter of having enough pixels and enough processing power to redefine the frame as each frame is displayed. Maybe that's obvious to everyone, but it was a little revelation to me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 08:02:24 AM »
the digitization of photographic image is truly incredible---incl that image stabilization is handled digitally, via algorithmic manipulation

i am astounded by something as simple as seeing a cursor move across a screen real-time, as i move the mouse---the processing and software required for that alone continually impresses me--and that aint nutting compared to digital image stabilization.........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
Pono, 100%. In some cameras they lower the res when stabilization is on. The big boys just shoot way bigger sensors.

Eastbound, it’s true. When I started HD was not quite in the market. The first cameras I saw that shot 1080 were over $100,000. Now we’re tossing them in our pockets for $30.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal