Author Topic: Surfboard Leash String - what to use?  (Read 13777 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboard Leash String - what to use?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »

The website says it’s very slippery and hard to knot.  How do you tie it off?

The website is probably referring to certain specific sailing knot applications.

I tie the loop the same as regular leash rope. It is a bit slippery and not easy to cut but the knot holds together just fine.

Run the loop through the plug and then through itself.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:31:59 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »
whatever you use, please use one stronger than the fellow whose 12 footer took me in the head on a clean up set this morning after his leash string parted.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 10:17:01 PM »
Sean Poynter provides a good tip on how to thread your leash string to board and leash, to increase ultimate tensile strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElG-2uhNczk

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 07:13:13 AM »
Sean Poynter provides a good tip on how to thread your leash string to board and leash, to increase ultimate tensile strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElG-2uhNczk

I like that double loop idea, but A10’s advice to use 2 strings is easier because then you don’t have to put the loop on the plug every time you go out.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 07:53:18 AM »
Maxsonic, thanks the for the video link.
Amsteel is awesome stuff, I have used it for kitesurfing for over a decade and it has never let me down.
7/64" amsteel should be sufficient.  550 Paracord is probably sufficient for surfboards in small waves, but for SUPs, an upgrade is recommended.

550 Paracord Specifics
Size: Inches   Tensile Strength (lbs.)
5/32" (4mm)    550

Amsteel Size Specifics
Size: Inches      mm   Tensile Strength (lbs.)
7/64                    2           1,600
1/8                     3           2,500
5/32                   4            4,000   
3/16                   5            5,400   
1/4                     6            8,600   
5/16                    8            13,700   
3/8                      9            19,600   
7/16                   10           23,900   
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Thank you for suggestions, everyone.  Got a few pieces of Dyneema in different colors last at WM. Man, this rope is like steel cable...Gonna use 2 loops in different colors to keep an eye on those. Superglue idea is awesome too...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:44:38 AM by oceanAddict »
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »
The glue was a great idea. I put a few drops of Gorilla Super Glue on my knots yesterday and they are never going to move now.

I have two loops on my Sunova and will add another to my TC. I prefer to put the loop through itself when attaching it to the plug. That leaves just enough room to slide a single strand of rope under it and tie those two ends together for the second loop.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:28:05 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »
A10 is right. There is no rope stronger than this stuff. It lasts forever and won't chafe. I really don't think it needs the polyester outer sleeve as A10 suggests. It will still outlast your board.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/samson-rope--amsteel-dyneema-as-78-single-braid-sold-by-the-foot--P014895700?recordNum=3

Thank you!   What size/thickness(?) is more appropriate? 1/8 ?  3/16?

Buy 1/8"

The 12' of 3/16'" I ordered came today and I replaced most of my boards leash strings.  It is too thick and very difficult to loop through some types of leash plugs, and difficult to to tie.

8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

WaveWashed Hatteras

• Waikiki Status
  • Perspective, use it or lose it
    • View Profile
    • My Wife's Gallery- Ocean / Beach Art
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 06:02:30 AM »
A few years ago I tore the meniscus in my right leg, which is my leash leg.    This lead me to search for a waist harness, and I found http://www.leashlokhawaii.com/leash-attachments---leash-belts.html
  In addition to selling belts that can be attached to your existing leash they also sell leash attachments made out of tubular webbing sewn into a loop.   They come in 6 different colors and two widths, 3/8" or 1/2". I've been happy with them and with the waist harness which I wear on bigger surf days.
Sunova Speeed 9'5"
Sunova Kanga 10'
Exocet 12'6" Downwind
C4 XXL iSup (pinhole leak at seam)
Black Project Pure Paddle
Flying Fish Carbon Paddle

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »
A few years ago I tore the meniscus in my right leg, which is my leash leg.    This lead me to search for a waist harness, and I found http://www.leashlokhawaii.com/leash-attachments---leash-belts.html
  In addition to selling belts that can be attached to your existing leash they also sell leash attachments made out of tubular webbing sewn into a loop.   They come in 6 different colors and two widths, 3/8" or 1/2". I've been happy with them and with the waist harness which I wear on bigger surf days.

Little off topic but.. do you wear waist harness for surfing or for flatwater/oper water paddle?  I used waist PDF as a waist harness and found it convenient not sure if I would like in surf conditions.

Quote from: supdiscobay  Buy 1/8" [/quote

I went with 7/76  (pictured above) as it was on stock locally
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

WaveWashed Hatteras

• Waikiki Status
  • Perspective, use it or lose it
    • View Profile
    • My Wife's Gallery- Ocean / Beach Art
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »
Little off topic but.. do you wear waist harness for surfing or for flatwater/oper water paddle?  I used waist PDF as a waist harness and found it convenient not sure if I would like in surf conditions.

For flat water I wear a waist PDF and connect the ankle strap from a coiled 8' leash around the belt.

For small surf, e.g. up to 4' faces, I guess that would be 1' Hawaiian, I use a calf harness.   When I fall I immediately fold my leg so by calf touches the back of my thigh to absorb impact of leash tug, this works well so far to date.

In bigger surf I use the waist harness.  It's basically a velcroed webbing belt that you attach to a regular surf leash by removing the alien head bolt that connects the cuff to the swivel and replacing with the waist harness.   When you fall the tug folds your body in half, but doesn't pull you under water.  It's very easy to recover from a fall and as someone who has had 5 knee operations, 4 on the left knee and 1 on the right knee it will hopefully allow me a few more years of snowboarding before I get the mechanical hinge installed.    I don't wear it all the time because it's a pain to have to clear the lease off the deck before remounting the board.   With the calf leash you can position the cord perpendicular to the board and it mostly stays there, if it rotates in line with your butt it's easy to rotate it back.   With the waist harness every fall will pull the leash directly behind you and it's a rash guard twisting mess to try and rotate it off to the side.  So when remounting the board the leash is usually lying in between your feet.   Best to push it off to the side before remounting, rather than standing a trying to kick it over or bend and move it over. 

I don't think I would trust the snap in buckle of a waist PDF to hold the force of a decent sized wave and wouldn't recommend that setup for large surf.   You could try it in the small stuff to see how the pull differs when centered at the waist.

Sunova Speeed 9'5"
Sunova Kanga 10'
Exocet 12'6" Downwind
C4 XXL iSup (pinhole leak at seam)
Black Project Pure Paddle
Flying Fish Carbon Paddle

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »
I’m happy to see another NC’er on here, though you’re lucky enough to be at the OBX.  I’m in WNC.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »
Since my Hammer and my One World have dual leash plugs, the video below is how I attach my leash to both of my boards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvsn5GQLPNE
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »
I'm guessing that is the 1/8th inch Spectra/Dyneema line Robert is using.

One concern I have about using rope that thin is that it might cut through the railsaver. I also don't like how the railsaver slides back and forth on the double plug setup which I would think might also cause chafe, But Robert says it works and I have to trust his experience. I'm sure he has seen every leash failure scenario ten times over.   :)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
what wave washed said above

the leashlok "leash attachments made out of tubular webbing sewn into a loop" are a happy 3 dollars, and they are bomb-proof and clean--and require no knots/glue or fuss--to each their own but these are great by me

as, of course, are the waistbelts, which are all i use surfing
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal