Author Topic: know of any eldercare-type financial-planning sorts in san diego?  (Read 2890 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
i'm uprooting myself from RI and making the financial booboo of moving to san diego.  that said, at the age of 64, with my health failing left and right, i think i need to try to see how much of a mistake it's going to be and how i can minimize the damage to my precarious money-related future.  plus, i'll need to do something w/ the proceeds of the sale of my RI house and i'd like to at least be somewhat smart about it, if i can.  in order words, i need help.  anyone here know of anyone in the sd area who is good at this kind of thing, especially when it comes to old(er) folks?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: know of any eldercare-type financial-planning sorts in san diego?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:07:53 AM »
Hmmm. Financial boo-boo is a gross understatement. Given those concerns it's the last place I would consider unless you have a lot of trailing zeros in your bank account. More realistic choices would be Florida (literally designed for eldercare) or out of the country--maybe Costa Rica.

And looking to some third-party to give you useful advice is very dangerous. It's possible you will find someone who is both competent and honest, but it's much more likely that you will not, there are far too many scammers, or at least self-interested financial planners. You're likely to wind up making someone else's' life a little more financially secure. Getting someone else's recommendation is no guarantee against that. The financial advisor who drove me to do my own research because I realized he was fleecing us was strongly recommended by several intelligent and capable friends. They knew about the same amount about investing as I did, and thought he was great. He was/is a fraud and is very successful at it--one of the highest rated financial investors fin Oregon. Total crook.

This book is a hot mess, it needs to be rewritten, but skimming it might get you on the right path. One way or another, you need to do your own research. It's your life and your money.  https://retirement.pressbooks.com/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »
Linter,  I like Bill, think these waters are more sharkey than the Cape  ...especially if they hear you have little experience and a recent stash you're looking to do something with.  Even the nice lady at your new bank earns points for guiding you to their 'financial manager'.

We have something here https://macinc.org  (not that you will resemble the folks in the opening photo anytime soon) that is a great resource.  They had a lady who was encyclopedic on the various Medicare supplement plans, charging nothing or very little for their assistance.  Unlike, 'your friendly broker' who wants to put an arterial line in your assets. 

Aside from real-estate, I would imagine SD would be a great place to 'get old'.  Not only is the weather a helluva lot nicer, the large Hispanic population generally seem more empathetic.  I would imagine SD being a good place if you need any assistance in the future.  I am in a socially caustic zone where even questionable assistance is expected to be costly.   

Jim 

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 12:06:41 PM »
Inland SD for sure. There are some mobile home communities that are hidden gems.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »
bill: i certainly don't have those zeros but my girlfriend lives there and so, therefor, will i, shortly.  problem with florida is the same with costa rica: the heat and humidity.  i find it especially debilitating.  plus, i hate the dominant ne winter wind in florida.  it bothers me so much that i don't think that even an extra ketamine treatment a month would make a difference.  right now, i'm thinking a bit about spain.  a lot of it depends on how my health situation evolves.
   ideally, i'd find a rental somewhere near san onofre, where i could buttboard if i can't sup, and then if everything goes to hell in four or five years, i might not be so wedded to the water.

i've heard those third-party admonitions about various things over the years but have always benefited from asking my questions anyway and then doing my own due diligence.  to a certain degree, all advice is third party.  you've got to start somewhere.  my biggest financial blunders have come from *not* following certain suggestions -- which i managed to turn into a bit of money even so, by writing about the experiences here and there.
  and then there's the time, in mexico, when i had a blast day trading one of the early bull markets in pots stocks.  and i did take advice, from an internet tout who went by the name 'the wolf of weed street,' and there were hours when i was up 150% and managed to get out.  i wasn't playing w/ big money, so it didn't amount to a hill of beans.  but it was fun, and provided grist for another magazine story.
  don't get me wrong.  i've blundered more than most people.  i had a rental property in the flat iron district of manhattan that i sold in 1999, after reporting a story about the year 2k problem and being convinced by economists like bill yardini, who was big then, that the city was about to go up in flames.  at the closing, i remember smirking at the guy who bought the place.  i actually smirked.  gawd, what a mistake.
  otoh,  at a time when few people knew who the urban artist banksy was, i bought one of his prints for peanuts, just because i loved the subject matter, and now it's worth so much money, i sometimes think i'm an art-investing genius.  ha, ha!
  my point is, i've been up, i've been down, and at the moment, i just feel the need for some advice, if not much else.

i've have a look at your book.  thanks for reminding me of it!

Hmmm. Financial boo-boo is a gross understatement. Given those concerns it's the last place I would consider unless you have a lot of trailing zeros in your bank account. More realistic choices would be Florida (literally designed for eldercare) or out of the country--maybe Costa Rica.

And looking to some third-party to give you useful advice is very dangerous. It's possible you will find someone who is both competent and honest, but it's much more likely that you will not, there are far too many scammers, or at least self-interested financial planners. You're likely to wind up making someone else's' life a little more financially secure. Getting someone else's recommendation is no guarantee against that. The financial advisor who drove me to do my own research because I realized he was fleecing us was strongly recommended by several intelligent and capable friends. They knew about the same amount about investing as I did, and thought he was great. He was/is a fraud and is very successful at it--one of the highest rated financial investors fin Oregon. Total crook.

This book is a hot mess, it needs to be rewritten, but skimming it might get you on the right path. One way or another, you need to do your own research. It's your life and your money.  https://retirement.pressbooks.com/

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »
jim: i have a gander at macinc.  thanks!

TD:  whereabouts inland are these hidden gems?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »
Here's one right near me. 10-15 min. to SanO and 5 min. to DoHo. Very clean community. Reasonable monthly dues. A friend sold his house near mine and bought a MH in this community. He's at SanO almost everyday now enjoying his retirement.
 https://www.redfin.com/city/17431/CA/San-Juan-Capistrano/filter/property-type=other,max-price=450k,viewport=33.48697:33.46755:-117.6589:-117.68909

Ask CapoBeachBoy (Chris) he's a realtor in our area.

It's not overhead to me!

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
Linter,

I've heard Marty Schneider talk on a local San Diego financial radio show, and was impressed with his knowledge. He is a CFP.  Check out his website here: http://www.theretirementprofessor.com
https://theanswersandiego.com/content/radio-shows/the-word-on-wealth-with-marty-schneider 

I've never used his services, however - just passing along one possibility for you to consider.

Good luck with your move to San Diego. Although it is definitely a High Cost of Living Area, there are many amenities here that can't be beat elsewhere.  San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and miles of beaches along the Pacific Coast are the reasons I call San Diego Home!

MAX
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:10:23 PM by maxsonic »

Seafarer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »
Can't help but say something here.  Mobile homes, imo, are a bad choice unless you own the land.  Land leases will go up every year. Not good if you are on a fixed income.  What if they raise the rent so high you can't afford it- you have to move your house!
I have fond memories of North County, my daughters were born there in 1991 and 1997.  I enjoy going back there for vacations occasionally but no way in hell I would want to live there now.  Sorry for the pessimistic opinion but I would choose someplace way cheaper.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
I’ll take a crack at it.   Don’t sell your house.  Rent it to a thoroughly vetted tenant and move to San Sebastian Spain.  Teach or tutor ESL for a little extra coin.  If any of the new remyelinating drugs come available in Europe give one a go.
https://newatlas.com/synthetic-molecule-ms-treatment/59375/

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 08:36:44 PM »
Can't help but say something here.  Mobile homes, imo, are a bad choice unless you own the land.  Land leases will go up every year. Not good if you are on a fixed income. 
With this MH community in San Clemente you own the land. This is even nicer than the first, and about the same distance to SanO.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Clemente/118-Mira-Adelante-92673/home/5526239
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 10:47:26 PM »
Don’t sell. We rent out a place with third party management and I’m convinced now that no one should ever sell a rental property, unless it’s to buy a better rental.

Every story that I have is like your 1999 one. I’ll see if I can talk to some friends I have in the planning business but yes, trust no one.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 03:02:30 AM »
thanks, all, great info!

i am going to sell my house.  had a well-vetted tenant in it for a while and it was a disaster.  anyway, i can't live in rhode island any more, due to the cold and my health, so what's the point?  but boy am i going to miss the waves.  when they're working, they're much better for me than any i've ridden anywhere.   and we have a local here ex standout from malibu who thinks this wave is better than his old one, too.  just not as consistent, obviously.

my girlfriend owns her own place in north park, sd, which is where i'd be living.  monthly expense wise, it's pretty affordable.  but, in terms of proximity to san onofre, it's an hour away with no traffic, in the middle of the night.  you might say, but what about all the surf between north park and san o?  well, a lot of the best of it, like sunset cliffs, is off limits to me, because i can't walk down almost any length of stairs with a board, much less back up again at the end of a session.  tourmaline?  la jolla shores?  them damn waves are more frustrating than fun.  cardiff?  well, okay, maybe, but again, if you're not on the super-crowded main peak, you're mostly facing beach breaks.
  yes, i know that, to a certain degree, i'm painting myself into a corner, by trying to limit myself to san o, and i might have to change that situation, but for now ...

my girlfriend and i both dislike her place and she's thinking of selling it.  otoh, she could rent it out for 3k/month or so.  after taxes and property management fees, that'd leave her with what?  2k?  and she still has a mortgage to pay.  and to rent a place closer to my kind of surf is going to be what?  4k? 6k?
  all of this also helps to explain why i'm looking for a financial planner who can tell me, and us, that we can't afford what we want and might have to make do with what we don't want.

chan: i'm beginning to like your idea above all others.  also: thanks for the link to that newatlas article.  hadn't heard about that drug before.  i'm going to look into it.  maybe there's some studies i can get involved with.  love signing up with medical studies!  just finished one dealing with ketamine, which paid for my 2x a month treatments for three months.  and at $400 a treatment usually, that saved me a good bit of coin.

surfcowboy:  yes, if you know anyone good in the fp business, do let me know.  and, yes, i'll continue to trust no one.

oh, the other problem even with leaving san diego proper is that my girlfriend leads a pretty well known local punk-rock band, so even moving to san o might be an issue.  then again, it is a punk rock band and it's always on the verge of blowing itself up and falling apart.  my fingers are crossed, but don't tell her that!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »
Sorry linter, I have no better advise to give than you've already received (only +1 on the mobile home land leases, and to stay away), so all I can offer is best wishes of good fortune in whatever you decide on doing...and that when you do plan on heading up to Sano, look me up, and we chat, share some fun waves and good times, and I've always got a Thermos of coffee that pours in whomever's cup that needs some. Cheers and good luck, Dave
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:50:18 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal