Author Topic: Watch the North Wind Rise  (Read 4131 times)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Watch the North Wind Rise
« on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »
So the forecast was not what I expected the north wind was on it early and the low tide caused funky lefts BUT the rights were working better.  I was curious if the Soloshot would rebound from the fail session this past Wednesday and it did.  I have to make sure I stick to the routine and make sure it’s tracking before paddling out.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Watch the North Wind Rise
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
Nice video.

When we get a north wind from a weather frontal passage, it makes the Gulf of Mexico "flat" so there are no waves to surf.

BTW, thanks for sharing the video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:24:48 PM »
I really enjoyed your video - you're effort in setting up the soloshot and editing the clips is greatly appreciated!

It looks like you're having so much fun out there and the Super Frank looks like the ideal board for your spot. I loved seeing you fly full speed along some of those waves! I also appreciate you including some of the paddle  outs as they help me with trying to improve my own technique.

Keep on enjoying those waves on your Super Frank!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:17:19 AM »
Excellent videography as usual. I wish more people would record their sessions like that. It makes me want to get a camera.

I'd like to see one video where you try to center your front foot directly behind the handle. Once you start doing that, I'm positive it will improve your turns and overall board control. Also, there's no need to keep your knees bent all the time. Normally you compress your legs a little on the bottom turn and straighten up on the top turn.

Clay made a nice instructional video a couple years ago about footwork that showed me a few things. You can place your back foot or even both feet to one side of the board for specific maneuvers but your front foot should always return to center after. All footwork begins with your front foot being centered on the board.

Since your board has a lot of volume for your weight and is very wide, you might find some of this very useful.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:13:00 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:54:42 AM »
Nice video.

When we get a north wind from a weather frontal passage, it makes the Gulf of Mexico "flat" so there are no waves to surf.

BTW, thanks for sharing the video.
Thanks NW.  Here in nj the easterly winds build up the surf then the west winds groom them nicely.  The problem is the west winds frequently blow so strong the waves go flat so one day swells or less are common.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 04:58:24 AM »
I really enjoyed your video - you're effort in setting up the soloshot and editing the clips is greatly appreciated!

It looks like you're having so much fun out there and the Super Frank looks like the ideal board for your spot. I loved seeing you fly full speed along some of those waves! I also appreciate you including some of the paddle  outs as they help me with trying to improve my own technique.

Keep on enjoying those waves on your Super Frank!
Thank you for your comments.  It’s funny Surfercook commented I should include less paddling and only wave action.  I like including it some cause like you say I view my technique and timing going for the wave.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 05:08:29 AM »
Excellent videography as usual. I wish more people would record their sessions like that. It makes me want to get a camera.

I'd like to see one video where you try to center your front foot directly behind the handle. Once you start doing that, I'm positive it will improve your turns and overall board control. Also, there's no need to keep your knees bent all the time. Normally you compress your legs a little on the bottom turn and straighten up on the top turn.

Clay made a nice instructional video about footwork that showed me a few things. You can inch your back foot or even both feet near the rail for specific maneuvers but your front foot should always return to center after. All footwork begins with being centered on the board.

Since your board has a lot of volume for your weight and is very wide, you might find some of these tips useful.

Thanks as always for the feedback and video Badger.  Clay puts together great videos and as usual that was another good one.  When I look at old photos from regular surfing days my feet are aligned correctly on the stringer.  As Clay mentions SUP caused my foot placement to change I guess incorrectly, the parallel to surf stance on sup I believe is the culprit.  I do adjust my footing while riding the wave I can also see the adjustment on video.  Believe me it’s on my mind while out there.  Regarding bent knees, I’ve always had a low center of gravity (again viewing old surfing photos same thing) so I’m not sure that’s going to change but now I have something else to adjust.  We’ll see.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
LB

The North Wind didn't bother us in Atlantic City, Low tide was cool too where we surf. But to be honest we could not get into the water it was ACTUALLY shoulder to shoulder for 2 block (South of that the wave size "Fizzled") on the beach and every jetty FULL OF FISHERMEN.
I mean everyone in Atlantic City that knows where the ocean was Saturday morning must have decided to go fishing (AT THE SAME TIME)!!!
Didn't see anyone CATCH anything but they SURE were trying hard.

I've been catching Stripers and blues out side my door ... but I don't tell anyone...OOOPS!

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:46 AM »
LB

The North Wind didn't bother us in Atlantic City, Low tide was cool too where we surf. But to be honest we could not get into the water it was ACTUALLY shoulder to shoulder for 2 block (South of that the wave size "Fizzled") on the beach and every jetty FULL OF FISHERMEN.
I mean everyone in Atlantic City that knows where the ocean was Saturday morning must have decided to go fishing (AT THE SAME TIME)!!!
Didn't see anyone CATCH anything but they SURE were trying hard.

I've been catching Stripers and blues out side my door ... but I don't tell anyone...OOOPS!

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing
Hey Jim,  yes once you travel to LBI and south the north winds are better.  Where I am south west wind is fine.  Regarding the fishermen, that’s a whole other topic on how to deal with them.  Fortunately, I’ve never experienced what you described but I have had times where their casting out where I’m surfing and then there can be tension.  If I go surfing and fishermen are at the spot first I move.  If I’m out first and they start casting at me I sometimes have to politely say something.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:58:47 AM »
north wind sat am worked for us nyers--tomorrow there will be north too--this time with some chest-hi's

psyched
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
north wind sat am worked for us nyers--tomorrow there will be north too--this time with some chest-hi's

psyched
Hope you get some good waves tomorrow EB.

Wind is supposed to be light so I’m hoping I can go later in the day.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »
likewise, LBs---swell's actually pointed at you better, but wind's gotta be right--might be you get a nice window late--good luck

try ventusky--courtesy of stoney--best wind weather wave site, if you ask me---and map view is micro, all the way out to global--check RI, NY, NJ--then check the reunion islands--or maui
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:30:26 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
likewise, LBs---swell's actually pointed at you better, but wind's gotta be right--might be you get a nice window late--good luck

try ventusky--courtesy of stoney--best wind weather wave site, if you ask me---and map view is micro, all the way out to global--check RI, NY, NJ--then check the reunion islands--or maui
Wow, wild looking site!  Thanks!
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 02:49:48 AM »
Thanks for another good video LB  :)
Looking good buddy!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »
oh---saw tuna at asbury numerous times

water song!

sea child!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal