Author Topic: Twisted ankle for paddle boarding?  (Read 3900 times)

JoniSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Twisted ankle for paddle boarding?
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:58:06 PM »
Twisted my right ankle last week and it still hurts. Would it worsen if I go paddle boarding(on flat water most of the time)?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Twisted ankle for paddle boarding?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »
Ice it... And give it a rest. I gave my swollen knee (from skiing three days hard in slush) a 10 day break from any walking , surfing, or paddling. Didn't use my standing desk for work either. Just sat and kept the weight off of it. It's not swollen at all now, so I flat water paddled 4 miles this morning. It's fine now. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JoniSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:10:31 PM »
Ice it... And give it a rest. I gave my swollen knee (from skiing three days hard in slush) a 10 day break from any walking , surfing, or paddling. Didn't use my standing desk for work either. Just sat and kept the weight off of it. It's not swollen at all now, so I flat water paddled 4 miles this morning. It's fine now.
Thanks for the advice. Did try icing it, the pain did lessen. But maybe I shouldn't rush into it.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 03:50:47 AM »
Don’t rush. Ligaments need to heal. I once rushed it and made it worse and suffered for months. It was a pretty severe one though.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

paddlinglass

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 05:04:33 AM »
You could kneel, as long as you can get to the water without tweaking the ankle.

JoniSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 05:41:04 PM »
Don’t rush. Ligaments need to heal. I once rushed it and made it worse and suffered for months. It was a pretty severe one though.
Rough. Almost thought I was never gonna be able to stand again when I twisted it. lol...

JoniSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »
You could kneel, as long as you can get to the water without tweaking the ankle.
That or putting a chair on the board, those are what I figured, lol...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »
You could always turn your SUP into a "rower" ;D

I'm only half-serious, but as someone who fractured both feet, less than two years apart, I can feel your pain.  It does get better for sure...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:13:17 AM by Bean »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »
Twisted my right ankle last week and it still hurts. Would it worsen if I go paddle boarding(on flat water most of the time)?

Probably not. If anything it's probably just the sort of gentle exercise that will keep your ankle mobile. Just don't go surfing pipeline. I don't know how old you are, but as a certified geezer I will tell you that NOTHING heals. Everything comes back to haunt you unless you pay attention. It might be worth a little PT expense if you have a good one locally to get your ankle checked out and rehabbed. What you want to do is make sure you don't wind up modifying your stance and motion to compensate. I can trace my bad knee and hip issues, as well as some back issues to a skateboard injury to my ankle. If nothing else get someone to check your posture and your pelvic angle after your ankle feels OK again.

I have a good PT, and from her ministrations I've corrected a lot of lifelong issues. It's a revelation now to look at how people stand. Now that I'm paying attention I can see what folks are doing to themselves. Look at how many people stand on one foot predominantly. Imagine what that is doing to their joints.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal