Author Topic: Any 1970's skaters out there?  (Read 13145 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any 1970's skaters out there?
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 12:08:23 PM »
The park has some fun looking transitions.

I just kook out with the full set of pads and helmet. After the first few times I didn’t mind it anymore. Old school surf style carving remains a blast.

Too bad they rarely build roll-ins into the bowls anymore.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »
BMX has been growing and taking over a lot of skate parks. I think if I were in my teens/twenties again, I might be into that.

https://youtu.be/8LgM0ralVVM

https://youtu.be/v_MXq83Si5k
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:19:12 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
The BMX to Skate and back to BMX trend has been going on for decades. I raced BMX and broke my knee. As I was healing up the skatepark thing was just starting. We all abandoned BMX and started skating parks. When kids started reaching the limits of what appeared to be possible to the average kid, they would lose interest and start something new. We started seeing bikes being allowed in skateparks. Then rollerblades. About that time all the parks closed. BMX tricks were reaching the limits just like skateboarding did. Street skating became the new thing. Long pants, no helmets or pads. Urban terrain and with the ability to become a public annoyance. 'Skate and Annoy' is the street skater's code. This to died out and Mountain bikes doing crazy terrain things became the thing. Full suspension to jump off roof tops and do forward flips....etc..
Private skateparks are very rare in this day and age because they can easily be sued. The cities realized how to control those annoying skateboarder's, build them skateparks on city property, and the liability would be the same as if they were skating on a street or sidewalk. Last time I was at our city skatepark (about 5 years ago) it was about 50/50 skateboards vs razor's. Maybe BMX bikes are trending back now? Lots of kids on eBikes for sure.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:59:33 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 06:56:30 PM »
The BMX to Skate and back to BMX trend has been going on for decades. I raced BMX and broke my knee. As I was healing up the skatepark thing was just starting. We all abandoned BMX and started skating parks. When kids started reaching the limits of what appeared to be possible to the average kid, they would lose interest and start something new. We started seeing bikes being allowed in skateparks. Then rollerblades. About that time all the parks closed. BMX tricks were reaching the limits just like skateboarding did. Street skating became the new thing. Long pants, no helmets or pads. Urban terrain and with the ability to become a public annoyance. 'Skate and Annoy' is the street skater's code. This to died out and Mountain bikes doing crazy terrain things became the thing. Full suspension to jump off roof tops and do forward flips....etc..
Private skateparks are very rare in this day and age because they can easily be sued. The cities realized how to control those annoying skateboarder's, build them skateparks on city property, and the liability would be the same as if they were skating on a street or sidewalk. Last time I was at our city skatepark (about 5 years ago) it was about 50/50 skateboards vs razor's. Maybe BMX bikes are trending back now? Lots of kids on eBikes for sure.   

That might vary region to region.  BMX has definitely remained consistently popular in the skateparks in my area.  A lot of guys do both skate AND BMX.  Razors to a lesser degree but they usually get chased out.  I've never seen an e-bike in any of the skate parks around here.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 10:44:56 PM »
I was never really into tricks, mostly downhill carving/sliding. Started my career in 1976 while living on Bordelon Loop on Ulupa'U crater on MCB Kaneohe in HI. Seems like all we did was boogie board, and skate down hills. Moved to Okinawa in 1979, where the real hills are ;-)  In the late 80's, I clocked one of my younger brothers at over 60km/h, passing cars, and everything.

Learned how to do ollies to get over obstacles, ride wheelies on either end, ride a little half pipe, etc., but that's about it for tricks. Work gloves with smashed soda cans taped to them...memories.

Just took a ride on a SwellTech surfskate yesterday, and at the age of 50, I was thinking about buying a new Sector 9 downhill long board... Now I find this thread... It's a sign ;-)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 11:13:22 PM »
This is the truck breakthrough that got my skate stoke going again.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 03:31:52 AM »
Wouldn't this have been nice to have in the 70's.
New skate park in town.

Beauty.  I was just on a trip and stopped to watch at a similar new park.  8-10 kids, 3 with skating with wrist casts.  My kind of kids. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 05:24:52 AM »
I wasn't a skateboarder like my brother and friends, but in the 1980s I was a pretty crazy street skater. I had traditional 2x2 skates and would go all through NYC. I have fond memories of zooming through Central Park, dodging traffic, and playing skate tag. This was just when rollerblades were coming out, but I never saw much advantage with those. Rollerblades were fast, but the trucks on my skates let me do all kinds of tricks a rollerblader couldn't dream of.

My wife and I took our family to a roller rink last Christmas. Damn that was fun, and the muscle memory was still there.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2019, 08:28:51 PM »
Not exactly skateboarding.  I remember this guy and his brother would hit up the skatepark in Torrance (1978?).  Don't remember the name of the park but I had a membership lol.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojgRIEU6t_Q
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:30:37 PM by surf4food »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »
I think I know that guy.... or he reminds me of someone???  ;D
It's not overhead to me!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2019, 07:39:56 AM »
I think I know that guy.... or he reminds me of someone???  ;D

LOL!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 10:01:24 AM »
Visited my parents for fathers day. My brother and I started digging through all these old photos my mom has had packed away. What a great trip down memory lane. So many great photos I never knew existed. Found a few more skate pic's.
My first skateboard and another ramp riding shot.
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »

That might vary region to region.  BMX has definitely remained consistently popular in the skateparks in my area.  A lot of guys do both skate AND BMX.  Razors to a lesser degree but they usually get chased out.  I've never seen an e-bike in any of the skate parks around here.
I see a lot of kids cruising to the beach on their e-bikes with side mount surf racks and in the hills.

I drove by a local skate park yesterday and it was 100% skateboards.
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal