Author Topic: Waterprrof key holder  (Read 4379 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waterprrof key holder
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »
@ sflinux

I've heard through the grapevine that a Master-Lock Combination Adjustable lock box is easy to "hack". The video below shows how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMLD6SonZg

I used this one for 10 years and no problems at all. I put a spare door key in it and lock it to the front grill of my Honda Element while out surfing.

Seems like if somebody really want to break in, it would be easier for them to bust a window out than try to pick my lock.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:26:16 PM by southwesterly »

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 10:49:45 PM »
Has anyone ever made an insert for the recessed SUP handle that could hold a key?
I figure it would then serve the purpose of also filling that negative space ( in my experience the handle is often where your foot likes to be from time to time.

Thinking an EVA block might just do the trick. I suspect someone could get a patent on that idea ( or could but now it is prior art, and likely already is).

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 05:16:17 AM »
I never liked the idea of putting a key in the wetsuit pocket.  I slide my key in between my dakine rack pad and rack.  I’ve been doing this for years with no issues.  Prior to this I used the magnetic hide a key but I lost it and started doing what I previously mentioned.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »
I never liked the idea of putting a key in the wetsuit pocket.  I slide my key in between my dakine rack pad and rack.  I’ve been doing this for years with no issues.  Prior to this I used the magnetic hide a key but I lost it and started doing what I previously mentioned.
Think this has to do with your locale. Where we are, it appears that some of the thieves are watching from the bluffs as to where folks are hiding their key(s)...then once they know the person's off in the water for an hour or more, they wander down, snag the key, and help themselves to what's ever inside.  >:(

I use personally use the lock box, and figured if real estate agents used them on homes for so many years that they must've been safe. But now that I see that using a pro locksmith tool and some lengthy fiddling w/them to get them open (took that guy 2+ minutes) which I hope would draw some suspicion from the plenty of other folks in the lot...I'm just gonna have to count on it as just a "deterrent" that hopefully the douche bags wander past mine to the more accessible "vehicles of opportunity" with the key still sitting on the rear tire that we all used to do in years past.  :o :(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:12:37 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 11:25:10 PM »
Wish someone would just make a decent inexspensive Key fob waterproof bag: something small enough to fit on my pocket.

Or inside my new sup handle pad!

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 04:14:00 AM »
Any locksmith should be able to make a mechanical key as long as he can get a blank. I got one made for my Corolla no problem.  I’d still want to keep it dry to avoid saltwater in the cylinder. 

Does anybody actually use the key pockets in the leash cuff?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 05:35:36 AM »
Think this has to do with your locale. Where we are, it appears that some of the thieves are watching from the bluffs as to where folks are hiding their key(s)...then once they know the person's off in the water for an hour or more, they wander down, snag the key, and help themselves to what's ever inside.  >:(

I use personally use the lock box, and figured if real estate agents used them on homes for so many years that they must've been safe. But now that I see that using a pro locksmith tool and some lengthy fiddling w/them to get them open (took that guy 2+ minutes) which I hope would draw some suspicion from the plenty of other folks in the lot...I'm just gonna have to count on it as just a "deterrent" that hopefully the douche bags wander past mine to the more accessible "vehicles of opportunity" with the key still sitting on the rear tire that we all used to do in years past.  :o :(

I would really enjoy pretending to hide a key and setting some interesting harmless booby traps for those thieves.   ;D

I almost bought a lock box but couldn't find any with good reviews. Seems most are prone to failure.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »
I would really enjoy pretending to hide a key and setting some interesting harmless booby traps for those thieves.   ;D
Hahahaha...what a great idea!! For some reason PonoBill came to mind as soon as I read your post.  ;D ;D

I almost bought a lock box but couldn't find any with good reviews. Seems most are prone to failure.
I ended up with this one, because the new key I got with my recent Transit van didn't fit in the smaller version of the same I have. So far no problems or complaints, and it seemed to get pretty good reviews at Lowes' site, but I only saw those now when I went to see what they said after you mentioned it.

But again, as I said previously, not expecting it to be fail safe...just a deterrent enough to hopefully have them move on to another vehicle either left unlocked - that some still do there - or to the one with the "hid-a-key" spot...that really isn't one.  :-\
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal