Author Topic: Back to basics: feet—shoulder or hip width apart?  (Read 5033 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Back to basics: feet—shoulder or hip width apart?
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:37:38 AM »
First time back on the water since last October...  Robert's Multi-Tasker was a good choice as it is stable enough to land FA-18s on, atop doing all its other chores well. I had to remind myself to never set my heels ...for me, that's a quick trip off the back.

BUT...  I want to refine things with correct foot placement. Early days I was like on a Bongo Board with my feet near the rails of even a 32" board overreacting to any chop.  Mostly, they are shoulder-wide.   But, would it be better if they were less wide? 

I tried waist-width some and it seemed the board was more active, but not unstable.  I am comfortable with shoulder-width but would force myself to learn another position if it was ultimately more stable.  We get some 2-3 swell conditions where it is 'victory at sea' outside the break; I need all the stability I can muster.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Back to basics: feet—shoulder or hip width apart?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
This might help you out. It is called "lateral stability" and it works for small boards. However, I've found it works for me with my 11'1" x 30" board.

I had to get used to the 30" width and where to place my feet. This helped me with a parallel stance for flat water paddling as well as a modified surf stance when also flat water paddling.

Works for me also when I'm sup surfing down at the upper Texas coast.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Mastering-lateral-balance-on-a-small-SUP-board
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:42:17 AM »
That's a 'bookmark', Winger... Thanks.   It's a shame Colas is not with us over here.  He, Rick Weeks and a few others are real contributors.  A forum needs participation-input or it simply dries up.   Thanks again. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:59:13 AM »
I try to get my feet as close to the stringer as I can manage given conditions. When I start getting a little wobbly I narrow my stance. It's counter-intuitive, but it works.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:11:58 AM »

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Mastering-lateral-balance-on-a-small-SUP-board

This was a help, as I recently moved down to a 30" board. Getting my feet closer together keeps me upright on my narrower board. On a wider board, it wasn't as important, but I wonder if I try a narrower stance on that board? I'll have to give it a try.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 08:50:57 AM »
Narrower on low volume surf boards seem to work for me too.  In my mind, it seems to make sense that it slows down the roll.  On my flat water board, I'm moving my feet all over the place, mostly depending on how I'm paddling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal