Author Topic: How to Downwind SUP Surf - More Glides and More Fun - Video  (Read 8867 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
How to Downwind SUP Surf - More Glides and More Fun - Video
« on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
We had a great day and large group downwind run a few weeks ago, excellent conditions.  I was fired up and feeling inspired so I made this how to downwind video.  :)

I hope it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkmjqf473wk

Also - FYI here is the video from that day a few weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVW4Kcqnrvs
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: How to Downwind SUP Surf - More Glides and More Fun - Video
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »
Nice videos. I thought your first downwind sup video was excellent. Lots of good commentary from you and I payed attention to your footwork and how you used your paddle for bracing.

BTW, I noticed your downwind board seemed a little wide for a 28" board. So I clicked on your "gear list" link and my hunch was right since you state you're paddling, in this video, a Blue Planet 14' x 30" Bump Rider.

As always, thanks for sharing your videos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Nice videos. I thought your first downwind sup video was excellent. Lots of good commentary from you and I payed attention to your footwork and how you used your paddle for bracing.

BTW, I noticed your downwind board seemed a little wide for a 28" board. So I clicked on your "gear list" link and my hunch was right since you state you're paddling, in this video, a Blue Planet 14' x 30" Bump Rider.

As always, thanks for sharing your videos.

Thanks!  Yeah I'm on a 14x30. 
FYI - the second video of glidezilla is Drew's video, I gave myself a day off and left my cameras at home.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »
Whoah....pretty soon you will need a cruise ship. Never seen so many people on a run before...very cool.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:25:33 PM »
Nice job with the vid..  :)

It's good to see organised dw groups getting out there.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
Great vid! Excellent post and very clear what you're doing out there. I really love the videos you post Clay.

One thing you bring up is letting the board just go when you bail or fall. I've gotten into the habit of grabbing the board, as you are doing in some of the video. This is a habit that would be hard for me to break, not only from surfing (both regular and SUP) but especially downwinding. Having my nearly 30 lb., 17+ footer go to the end of the leash out in open ocean is a sketchy feeling for me. I never quite trust that everything will hold. But, it's also possible to get injured in your attempt to grab the board, which I believe is your very valid point in the vid. It's a tradeoff situation.  I've found that trying to at least slow the board's momentum, if not stopping it altogether, prevents that dreaded leash stress-testing. But, yeah, it's risky.

Interesting to observe your improved stance and smoothness over the course of the video. You get much more balanced and centered as your skill level goes up. Your footwork also gets much more fluid. The best downwind guys have the smoothest footwork. I love watching guys like Jeremy Riggs and Scott Trudon, they look like they are surfing longboards when they're downwinding (which they are). It's really elegant. The way they walk the board, often cross stepping, actually helps move their boards into bumps. You'll never see any of those guys hopping back or forward on the board.  Good footwork helps move the board onto waves as you push it forward with your feet. Learning to cross step and manipulate the board with your feet is, I think, one of the ultimate tools/skills in both wave riding and downwinding.

I really like how you've highlighted what to aim for and how you discuss reading the surface looking for the energy to follow. I don't know how many times I've had the conversation with other downwind paddlers about how few people, relatively, are experiencing the thrill of open ocean surfing. This vid really captures a ton and is super instructive. Awesome job!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:04:55 AM by covesurfer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
As you know, Cove, grabbing my board when I fell is what ripped my biceps tendon. I'm sure you remember because it was your fault. If you weren't ahead of me I wouldn't have been distracted trying to yell false and misleading directions.

I also still grab my board--especially downwinding. Same reason. Spending an afternoon swimming in would probably be just as hard on my shoulders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:14:14 PM »
One of the best downwind instructional videos I've seen Clay. Great work and thanks. I'll be sending out that link.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:10 PM »
Big thanks for the feedback.  I hear what's been said and agree.

I suck at cross stepping, anyone know a shortcut to getting good without hours of practice?  :)

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
Great video Clay.  As someone who has been long boarding for 55 years, I can say there is really no easy way to learn cross stepping.  It's a lot easier on a surfboard than a downwind sup.  We did 6 circuits at the hatchery today and got some good rides.  At no time did I ever feel as confident as I do on a surfboard.  If you could practice on a cali beach break with sand bottom for a week with some instruction, I know you would figure it out.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »
Awesome videos
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

supnsurf

• Rincon Status