Author Topic: New way to carry board?  (Read 11045 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: New way to carry board?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »
Thanks for the excellent review Night Wing.  I have usually 100+ to walk as well.
And your board was plenty big for a test case.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »
Cool  ...save your energy for wielding the paddle, eh?   I made a cart because I carry a lot of C'hit and am a cripple. Carrying a 40 lb bag of salt 100' for the water conditioner is pretty much an agony-inducing chore. (maybe I could widen the hook a bit...)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
was it easy to adjust, do you adjust it to the width of your board. how far does it hang down ? is there an adjustment for that as well ? nice review.
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »
Night Wing, thanks for buying one and reviewing it!  I’m also curious about how much it hangs down, how much it weighs, etc.  Does it seem very durable?  How is the hook attached to the belt?  Is it extremely secure?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 05:57:00 PM »
was it easy to adjust, do you adjust it to the width of your board. how far does it hang down ? is there an adjustment for that as well ? nice review.

It is easy to adjust. It came with a sheet with 4 comments telling you how to adjust the board holster and with the 4 comments, there is also 4 pictures for each comment.

Now keep in mind, I'm 5'8" in height. From the top of the belt above my waist to the inside of the J-hook, that distance is 23" and it was not at this distance when I got it. I lengthened it to 23".

I lengthened it because my sup handle is offset to the right side of my 11'1"x 30" sup which means my grip handle is not in the middle of the board. When I was carrying the board in the holster, my right arm was hanging completely straight with four of my fingers in the Blue Planet Sup Grip handle.

The sup handle is closest to the right side of the board and this is why I like to carry the board with my right arm straight down and I also have long arms for a guy who is only 5'8".
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 06:11:53 PM »
Night Wing, thanks for buying one and reviewing it!  I’m also curious about how much it hangs down, how much it weighs, etc.  Does it seem very durable?  How is the hook attached to the belt?  Is it extremely secure?

From the top of the belt to the inside of the J-hook, I lengthened the hook to 23". It is very durable since the webbing is good quality with good quality plastic belt buckles. And the webbing is 1 1/2" (1.50") in width.

The entire belt around you, above your hips is "padded". The back of the belt is the widest at 3" and tapers as it starts to go around you. It was very comfortable when I was carrying my 22 pounds, 14 ounce OneWorld at 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters.

As for the weight of the holster belt, it weighs around 1 (one) pound. And it will accommodate a sup which is 5 1/2" (5.50") in width at the thickest part of the sup (usually around the standing area).

It was secure to stay in the J-hook holster when I was coming up the hill to my home with a steady 18mph crosswind gusting to 23 mph.

My wife told me it was worth the money since she knows a good thing when she sees it. After all, she married me over 45 years ago.  ;)
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »
Smart wife!  😄😄

So Night Wing, do you think the length of this thing is appropriate for someone 5’4”, with a 30” board?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2019, 01:50:25 PM »
@ spirit4earth

I'm 5'8" and I had to lengthen the strap to fit my long arms and the 30" width of my 11'1" One World. Since you're 5'4" and your board is also 30" wide, it should fit you with no problems. But, if you buy the Hipster and you don't like it for any reason, I'll buy it from you for the same cost which you paid for it.

I could use a second one since I have two boards (Hammer & One World) and a guest could always use one for one of my boards since it is a 100 yard walk down to the lake in my subdivision where I live if someone wants to go flat water paddling with me.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
We now have the SUPhipster available on our website, so please support our business if you are planning to order one, thank you!

https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/suphipster-board-carrier.html
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 05:44:40 PM »
We now have the SUPhipster available on our website, so please support our business if you are planning to order one, thank you!

https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/suphipster-board-carrier.html

Night Wing, thanks for that offer!
Robert, I have to recover a bit from buying the board before I can afford another $60.  What’s your total, with shipping to 28806?  Thanks!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
@ spirit4earth

I'm 5'8" and I had to lengthen the strap to fit my long arms and the 30" width of my 11'1" One World. Since you're 5'4" and your board is also 30" wide, it should fit you with no problems. But, if you buy the Hipster and you don't like it for any reason, I'll buy it from you for the same cost which you paid for it.

I could use a second one since I have two boards (Hammer & One World) and a guest could always use one for one of my boards since it is a 100 yard walk down to the lake in my subdivision where I live if someone wants to go flat water paddling with me.
100 yards? Heavens, I once carried a 14ft board 1.5 miles by hand to get to the start of a race that I couldn’t get to by car. Against a 20+ mph wind. And I often have to walk half a mile with my board: I live in a tidal area where the tidal reach can be over half a mile, so this is just a standard occurrence. Building up the strength and technique to carry your board is part of the sport. I look at it as an integral part of the exercise that SUP provides. It really makes you appreciate a good handle, too. Which is one reason I have had so many SICs... RSPro rail tape can be really useful too, for when you rest the board on the ground to give your arm a break.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »
On the other hand, if one’s ability is limited for whatever reason, and there’s something that can help them get more water time, I’m all for it.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:08 PM »
On the other hand, if one’s ability is limited for whatever reason, and there’s something that can help them get more water time, I’m all for it.
Of course. That goes without saying, really.

But if you are capable and able-bodied, this device might prove a crutch that holds you back, in the long run. Most people struggle to carry their boards for more than 30 seconds when they start out. Then a couple of years later they can walk for 5 mins without a rest. That’s progress, and it has to be earned, just like anything else. It can be a source of pride and another very tangible indication of improvement.

There doesn’t seem to be any reason in the product videos why those people couldn’t just carry their boards.

When I have a long way to go and I’m in a hurry, I use a Mule SUP transport system that I pull behind my bike.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:15:35 PM by Area 10 »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »
100 yards? Heavens, I once carried a 14ft board 1.5 miles by hand to get to the start of a race that I couldn’t get to by car. Against a 20+ mph wind. And I often have to walk half a mile with my board: I live in a tidal area where the tidal reach can be over half a mile, so this is just a standard occurrence. Building up the strength and technique to carry your board is part of the sport. I look at it as an integral part of the exercise that SUP provides. It really makes you appreciate a good handle, too. Which is one reason I have had so many SICs... RSPro rail tape can be really useful too, for when you rest the board on the ground to give your arm a break.

Right now as I type this post, it is 12:45 am in the morning (Tuesday morning) where I live. The heat index is 84 degrees F. Also, that 100 yards, the last 75 yards of it is downhill and uphill with a steep incline depending on what direction one is carrying a board. Going downhill is easy. Going uphill where the elevation from the bottom of the hill to the top of the hill encompasses 30' in elevation.

Today's high temperature where I live was 94 degrees F and combining the dew point and the humidity, the heat index was well over 100 degrees F. So carrying a 14' board on level ground for 1.5 miles is one thing. Carrying a 14' board uphill a steep incline which covers 30' of elevation is a different animal especially if one has to deal with high heat, high dew point and high humidity which will sap anyone's stamina including your's.

The months of July and August are brutal in Texas where I live. During these months, we have many consecutive days with daytime heat indexes between 108-115 degrees F sometimes for 30 days in a row.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I think you live in England. And if you do, your hottest Summer days, compared to where I live, your hottest Summer days would be a cool or tepid Spring day where I live.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 06:25:05 AM »
Things like this work for some people, not for others.  I think the Hipster would be really helpful when it’s windy.  And Night Wing, I know about that Texas heat!  Been there, done that!
I also think that carrying your board long distances could be great exercise. 
Bottom line:  it’s all good.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM