Author Topic: New way to carry board?  (Read 11076 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New way to carry board?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 05:45:47 AM »
With my right and left shoulders surgically repaired, I try not to use a strap over my shoulders to carry heavy or long length objects. The more I look at it, the more I like it. So, I'm going to purchase one and "see how it goes".

I looked at Robert's Blue Planet site in the Accessories and the Hipster is not listed there. Found it at Amazon and when the wife gets up, she's asleep as I type this post and she just so happens to have an Amazon account where I do not, I'm going to order one using her account with her permission.
I have also had both repaired. I did get a shoulder strap board carrier with a really good shoulder pad to use cross body in hopes it has the pressure more on the collar bone than the joint. I am not sure whether pulling down carrying the weight by hand or pushing down with the weight on the strap is better/worse, but my guess is that the hand carry is more likely to start or exacerbate a tear.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 06:22:27 AM »
I wonder how padded that hook is. Might be best to have rail tape fitted, maybe. Not sure what I’d do with this once I got to the beach if surfing. I’m sure as hell not going to wear it while surfing. I wonder if there is any way to lock it to something (e.g. tree etc).

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
With my right and left shoulders surgically repaired, I try not to use a strap over my shoulders to carry heavy or long length objects. The more I look at it, the more I like it. So, I'm going to purchase one and "see how it goes".

I looked at Robert's Blue Planet site in the Accessories and the Hipster is not listed there. Found it at Amazon and when the wife gets up, she's asleep as I type this post and she just so happens to have an Amazon account where I do not, I'm going to order one using her account with her permission.

I look forward to your review.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »
One of my spots used to require a 300 yard hike.

I used this shoulder strap:

Design Specifications:
•   8’ 6” Paracord  102”
•   24” Nylon Webbing
•   1 Sewn Loop
•   1 bowline
•   1 Wrap knot
Use an overhand wrap on the webbing. Pass paracord through wrap. Tie off with bowlines. The resulting length of the loop pulled taught is 47”. 48” – 49” for taller people or larger boards.

So one could also get a length of webbing, sew it in a loop, and use it the same way.  Pretty simple.  Great idea!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:01 AM »
I wonder how padded that hook is. Might be best to have rail tape fitted, maybe. Not sure what I’d do with this once I got to the beach if surfing. I’m sure as hell not going to wear it while surfing. I wonder if there is any way to lock it to something (e.g. tree etc).

I agree.  I wouldn’t wear it while paddling.  I kind of like the over-the-shoulder webbing idea.  It could be short enough to still carry with the handle, but the strap would take some of the weight off your arm, and provide a hands-free moment if needed.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Well, I ordered one. The estimated time of delivery where I live is between May 14th-17th.

I won't be wearing it when I'm paddling. On a flat water paddle down at our private subdivision lakes, the large lake I paddle in has some nice willow trees with the long limbs over hanging the water about 12' from the trunk of the tree. I'll just hang the hipster on one of the overhanging limbs when I first start out and then when I'm through and ready to head on back to my home, I'll retrieve on the way back to my launching point.

I won't need it when I go down to the beaches at Surfside or the Bolivar Peninsula. I have new 2019 beach parking permits which allows me to drive and park on the beach near the dunes. Then all I have is a 30 yard walk from my truck to the water's edge.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »
So one could also get a length of webbing, sew it in a loop, and use it the same way.  Pretty simple.  Great idea!

Yes!  But I used the paracord to make the whole solution smaller and therefore able to stuff into my wetsuit.  Some of my friends use the larger, full webbing solution and leave it on the beach.  Then someone comes along, walking their dog whatever, and leaves with your strap.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
I’m going to try Beasho’s method before I spend 60 bucks on the “Hipster”.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »
I’m going to try Beasho’s method before I spend 60 bucks on the “Hipster”.

Cool, let us know how well it works for you.

I might make one too.

My issue is where to store it after I get to the water.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »

Yes!  But I used the paracord to make the whole solution smaller and therefore able to stuff into my wetsuit.  Some of my friends use the larger, full webbing solution and leave it on the beach.  Then someone comes along, walking their dog whatever, and leaves with your strap.

Yes, I used full webbing to carry my 14' around long distances. It does get very bulky. Was ok on the 14 as I wasn't surfing just paddling and have some tie-downs on the board.
For surfing your method makes more sense.
in progress...

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »
I look forward to your review.

After I receive it, I'll give a review of it when I take my 11'1' x 30" sup down to the lake and back to my home. Going down to the lake is easy walking since I live on top of a hill in the subdivision, but walking back up the hill to my home will "tell the tale" on this device.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
An update.

My "Hipster" is scheduled for delivery to my home on May 16th.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
An update.

My "Hipster" is scheduled for delivery to my home on May 16th.

Thanks for being our brave tester!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
The Hipster arrived at my home via UPS and they dropped it off to the USPS to make the delivery. I've already made the adjustments so it fits my long arms since my hand is supposed to be in the handle when I'm carrying my board(s). It looks to be well made with quality materials. But time will tell.

Since my home sits on top of a hill in our subdivision, the last 75 yards will be the acid test since in those 75 yards, there is about 30' in elevation from the bottom of the hill to my drive way. So I'll see it performs on my way back home, around 3:00 pm in the heat of the afternoon, from a flat water paddling session.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
I tried out the Hipster today. I put on the belt and adjusted the tightness of it. There appears to be a flat piece of metal which makes the hook shape. the metal hook is covered in a nice fabric type of belt. I tightened the belt just above my hips and started walking. Then I put one of my sup's rails into the hook shape and it fit neatly without any problems.

BTW, with the way I outfitted my board for this experiemt, with a 4 fin (2, 5") (2, 4") quad setup and with a deckpad, my 11'1" One World weighs 22 pounds, 14 ounces.

The largest lake in our subdivision is about 100 yards from my home. Going down to the lake, there is a hill which totals around 75 yards. The Hipster just stayed in it's carrying hook all the way down to the lake. It stayed right on my right thigh while walking with my sup. All the time walking, I right hand was in the sup grip of my board.

But the acid test would be coming back from the lake to my home because it was hot and the wind was blowing around 18 mph, gusting to 23 mph. While I was on the lake, I put the Hipster in one low hanging limb above the water out from the shore so if someone came along, if they wanted the Hipster, they would have had to deal with the 8' of water depth where the limb with the Hipster was.

After my flat water paddling session, I put the Hipster back on, put my sup's rail into the hook shape and walked back to my home. When I got to the street, I made a right turn and started to walk uphill for 75 yards. The wind was coming from the southeast and I was walking uphill facing northeast.

If I didn't have the Hipster, the front half of my board would have been trying to go towards the northwest. But since I was wearing the Hipster, I could control the front half of my sup and keep walking uphill. And I didn't get tired and I didn't have to switch hands while battling the wind going uphill.

The Hipster, for me, was a good purchase and fits my needs, wants and likes. So if anyone is going to walk 100 yards or more to the water, the Hipster is a good purchase.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal