Author Topic: Hand Shaping - give it a go  (Read 3269 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hand Shaping - give it a go
« on: May 07, 2019, 01:43:24 AM »
So after deciding to not learn to foil just yet (more on that in another thread.) I decided that I need to round out my prone quiver with a lighter longboard and a decent mid length in the 7’ range.

I went to Fiberglass Hawaii with a buddy and picked up 3 blanks to chop away on. We bought a Wen Planer, unmodified, and set out to shape a mini Simmons and 2 longboards.

I’ll post up pics, but the Simmons is almost done and looks good. I’m starting a 9’0” longboard next. But after my third board now I really see the fun of hand shaping and am likely going to hand shape my next SUP. (Longboard style or a 12’ coastal cruiser type thing.

Just wanted to put in a pitch for those of you wanting to make your own boards who don’t live near a CNC. Get some smaller blanks to learn on. Make a few for your surfing buddies or some groms and then tackle whatever SUP you want to make. But after a couple it gets easier and more fun and the few hundred bucks you spend learning is well worth it as you may find a life-long hobby. I’m on my third board now (not counting the restoration of 2 classic longboards and my foil project ) with no signs of stopping.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hand Shaping - give it a go
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 08:36:40 AM »
Very cool.  Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal