Author Topic: My GoFoil feedback  (Read 6231 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My GoFoil feedback
« on: May 07, 2019, 01:12:16 AM »
I'm a beginner 80kg surf sup kook and don't ask me about the gofoil performance at this stage I have no idea and everything at the moment is a blur and I feel like 7ft tall on it with multiple stacks, cuts, and bruises. Let's just say I feel like a clown in the surf ;)

I got the IWA front wing, Maliko and Kai rear wing with 28.5" Plate Mast and weight around 4kg.
This foil is solid after a reef hit and sand bar friendly exchanges.
The designed assembly is well thought with the mast and fuselage is one piece, the front and rear wing square connection to the fuselage is cleaver and the screws to lock both wings. It's easy to assemble and disassemble, just need a rubber mallet and a screwdriver. Others have too many bolts and connections which create weakness and you have to make sure not to over tighten the bolts or not enough and you feel the slack and that loose feeling in the surf and the return trip to the car park sux. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:16:47 AM by JEG »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My GoFoil feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
That's a great choice, and package...I like their longer mast options now that they didn't offer when I got my set a tad over a year ago. While I've tried the Kai tail on the Iwa and didn't like it, couple other guys I foil with love it..so I guess it's just depends on your size, and what it is you're looking trying to get out of it . If you get the chance, I'd recommend getting a Maliko front wing for the really small days where it's shin to knee height, and you can still go out, and have fun with the Maliko when the Iwa might not otherwise get you up, out, and flying.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »
The Maliko has the added benefit of being slower and turning easily which makes things a bit less hective
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »
What are the characteristics of an IWA or M200 with a Kai tail wing?  Are there benefits to such combination?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
I found that the Iwa w/the Kai tail did loosen the board up quite a bit, and made it turn easier, but I personally found it to not pump as well with that combo. However others that use that setup say that it was an increase in their ability to pump the board as why they really liked it. Go figure... :o :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »
Does having the smaller back wing allow the surfer to get into bigger/faster waves without blowing out of the water? I have a Kai wingset but have never experimented with it. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:06:37 PM by Evan Lloyd »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »
That I can't tell you Evan, simply because I've only tried the Iwa/Kai setup in your average "Sano" waves, and not in anything I'd consider "bigger/faster" as might be found elsewhere. Heck, I bought a Kai set several months ago just in anticipation of when the  "bigger/faster" stuff arrived at Sano...and haven't even taken the front Kai wing out of the bag yet.  :(

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »
I started with maliko tail and I'm now on kai tail. Can anyone comment on the difference between these two tails?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »
I started with maliko tail and I'm now on kai tail. Can anyone comment on the difference between these two tails?

Yes!  Kai tail has much less "Lift".  This means that it does NOT cause overfoil on massive, fast takeoffs.  However you need to move your FRONT FOOT BACK ~ 4".  Otherwise you are flying with all your weight on the back foot and it gets tiring and goofy really quickly.

I have found that an elongated front strap allows you to move your foot UNDER THE STRAP.  This allows for a good takeoff but then lets you slide your foot BACK for better pumping once up and flying. 

Here is an example of OVERWEIGHTING the front foot on bigger waves with KAI tail wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDIWvU1otec

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 11:53:54 PM »
Here:

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »
thanks, Beasho I'm doing the free strap setup.
I did notice with the maliko rear does give that quick/extra left and as a beginner my reaction at the moment on over foil not that good. However, the maliko was somewhat better on small rollers. Maybe a maliko 200 front match would be even better on small roller days which I'm looking forward to getting it soon and let you know.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 10:39:06 PM »
just added M200 into my GF collection. I must say I'm doing everything backwards interms of learning the hardway, meaining going small to big board and foil and no mates to give sheeeeet advise and no boat towing but just paddle and hope for the best. Trying to keep it safe because foiling is really danderous. Wear a leash, helmet and wetsuit because it saved me from searious injury, just a few bruses physically and mental ego. So far I snap/cut a leash swam for ages and lucky it was a sand surf beach and the board/foil was fine except for my lung was about to explode. A foil board box crack from crashes but found out the foil board was a lemon which was replaced. The M200 pair with maliko tail is stable as expected and good to learn. I will get back to iwa front wing someday. Looking forward to the new GF GL wings and wingsurf oneday also  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:40:41 PM by JEG »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 07:16:39 AM »
That learning method works, it just might take a little longer, but there are enough videos and enough reasonably useful online advice to help through the rough spots. I still find looking at Sam Pae's video to be useful for recalibrating. Mostly it takes determination and a willingness to look like a kook.

The M200 will be your goto foil for a long time. I trotted out my Iwa at the Oregon Coast recently and realized how hard I was working to get up and stay up. Considering that it was just dinky waves on a sandbar and shorebreak, switching to the M200 got me up and turning quicker. I was being stupid, treating the Iwa wing like it was verification that my foiling was improving. It's not, getting better means knowing enough to choose the right wing for conditions, and in a lot of circumstances that's the M200 for me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
It hasn't been small around here lately so I have been happy with my Iwa thinking "Why would I surf anything else?"

But:  When it is consistently less than 4 foot faces the M200 is a Go-To solution.

M200 Small Wave Takeoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBm2v03g9iI

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
And dreamy M200 flying in the East Coast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5NN6le7uU

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal