Author Topic: Foilboard volumes  (Read 3095 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Foilboard volumes
« on: May 06, 2019, 07:42:53 PM »
How does the volume of your foilsups compare to the volume of your normal surfsups? Are you going up or down at all? Some of these new boards have crazy small dimensions. Are people dropping a ton of volume too, or are they just making the board way thicker?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foilboard volumes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:09:18 PM »
Yes, smaller in length (6'), the same on width (28.5"-29"), but a little thicker (up 1/2" to 4.75") that kept me right about in the same "volume comfort range" that I had on my sups (107-118). Definitely not a "surfboard", but then we don't "surf" the board anyway, so it's more or less just a standing platform, transport vehicle, and a launch pad so to speak.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »
Yes, smaller in length (6'), the same on width (28.5"-29"), but a little thicker (up 1/2" to 4.75") that kept me right about in the same "volume comfort range" that I had on my sups (107-118). Definitely not a "surfboard", but then we don't "surf" the board anyway, so it's more or less just a standing platform, transport vehicle, and a launch pad so to speak.  :)

add at least 10ltrs of your regular surf sup.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:49 AM »

add at least 10ltrs of your regular surf sup.
Yep, I can see that as a pretty decent general rule of thumb to account for the additional 8 to 10 lbs of foil weight (I'd be more inclined to say 5ltrs, but that's just me...I like lower volume so my boards sit lower in the water than most prefer).
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
But if you have a foil that floats aren't you technically adding more than enough buoyancy to offset the weight? 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
Good point, and probably why I didn't notice much difference volume wise while just standing on my current foil board vs my previous sup board with the basically the same volume.  Figuring it's the over foot and a half difference we chopped off length that had me burying the nose when reaching out forward since I was now so much closer to the nose.

In comparison, my front foot is 26" from the nose on my current board at 6' and 115 ltrs, whereas on my earlier board that was 7'3" (my sup was 7'8") I was 34" from the nose which I never buried, even though that board is 7 ltrs less at 108.....

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
It depends on the board design shape and material use. If it's an epoxy board which slightly heavy than carbon and your learning I would add extra 15ltrs+ or more.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
So I learned on a converted board: 7'0x30 at 120L. I struggled at first but am doing fine now. During that time I also lost 25 pounds, so I'm not really sure how much the new found ease is gained skill or lost weight. I'm looking to buy a dedicated foil board now, but not really sure how big a jump to take.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
It depends on the board design shape and material use. If it's an epoxy board which slightly heavy than carbon and your learning I would add extra 15ltrs+ or more.
Slightly is the key word there, and that's not always the case...it also has to do with who's doing the glassing, the layup schedule they're using, and how much fancy paint accents you want on your board . My buddy, and I have the exact same dims in our boards (6'x29"x4.75") from two different glassers; his is carbon with a beautiful paint job, and weighed in at 15.5 lbs, and mine's a plane old color in the resin epoxy job that was delivered at just a tad over 14 lbs.

I'm curious though, for what reason(s) do you feel you need so much more volume (10-15 ltrs) in a foil board than in a sup board?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »
Slightly is the key word there, and that's not always the case...it also has to do with who's doing the glassing, the layup schedule they're using, and how much fancy paint accents you want on your board . My buddy, and I have the exact same dims in our boards (6'x29"x4.75") from two different glassers; his is carbon with a beautiful paint job, and weighed in at 15.5 lbs, and mine's a plane old color in the resin epoxy job that was delivered at just a tad over 14 lbs.

I'm curious though, for what reason(s) do you feel you need so much more volume (10-15 ltrs) in a foil board than in a sup board?

as you said different boards have a different feel and to the paddler's opinion and skill level, everybody is different and we're not all equal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal