Author Topic: Just when you thought it was safe to go outside  (Read 3379 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Just when you thought it was safe to go outside
« on: May 06, 2019, 02:04:42 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/health/sunscreen-bloodstream-fda-study/index.html

Looks like sunscreen not only harms corals,  but the users too

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go outside
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:00:51 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/health/sunscreen-bloodstream-fda-study/index.html

Looks like sunscreen not only harms corals,  but the users too
I am ordering some light colored long sleeve rash guards. I already have a neck gator.

Not sure I am ready for pants like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SABOLAY-Snorkeling-Paddling-Swimming-Canoeing/dp/B07NXTLXY4?th=1&psc=1

That particular one doesn't come in my size (30x30) but that seems to be the style for long UV swim pants. the description says all season and mentions protection from the summer sun.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 03:52:04 PM »

Not sure I am ready for pants like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SABOLAY-Snorkeling-Paddling-Swimming-Canoeing/dp/B07NXTLXY4?th=1&psc=1

I now wear regular sports compression pants, and trunks over those. Feels like the same material rash guards are made from.

I've always thought rubbing chemicals all over your body was a bad idea, and I just don't care about looking like a kook any more. I draw the line at booties, though ;-)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
Yeah, I just talked myself into trying these:
https://www.amazon.com/OUTOF-Compression-Baselayer-Rashguard-MPL5117R-XL-WHS/dp/B07C3LB1TW

and will wear them under trunks. I plan to be paddling slightly offshore trolling on Saturday with some kayakers (plastic fishing kayaks; I can keep up). Hopefully I won't roast.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 11:01:47 PM »
Pono has been rocking compression leggings for awhile. Pretty sure I will be too soon. I've been wearing long sleeve rash guards for awhile....hate hats though....heavy sunscreen on my head and face.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:28:45 AM »
I used to joke about Welsh tourist on Maui--full-on kook hat and every inch of their snow-white skin covered. Now I are one. Geezerdom is the ultimate Karma.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 01:51:06 AM »
We’re in wetsuits most of the year. But when I travel to the tropics I wear leggings under my shorts. I hike them up when walking around out of the water to Capri length. (Yeah, I’m man enough to say it.) lol

In Costa Rica I felt self conscious about it until I saw most of the local instructors rocking them too. Also keeps rash to zero. I just wear light Nike running tights as thin as I can find them.

So most of my sunscreen use is now just zinc-based face sticks.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 03:42:20 AM »
I still love wearing my long sleeve CCBC rash guard! I'm more dark complexioned so I don't use sunscreen for a couple of hours outside. I still get burnt, but not as badly or as easily as my German wife.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 05:05:08 AM »
melanoma has ravaged my family--i am meticulous about avoiding burns, whether via clothing or sunblock---but the stage was set long ago for me to get melanoma---based on numerous burns to blistering as a boy, genetics, fair No Euro skin, blue eyes, freckles etc etc---at this point, it is statistically liklier than not that a melanoma will appear somewhere on me--so, for me, and, really, most people, the most important preventative measure is to have a good cancer-concerned dermatologist look at skin regularly--if the derma starts trying to sell you cosmetic procedures, etc, go elsewhere--get a doctor

and prevent any sun damage, certainly when young---do not let your kids burn--

stopped using all the chemical sunscreens years ago--only zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide--of course, we'll prolly learn those nano-particles will kill us too

and, dont forget, life is a terminal disease
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 06:01:45 AM »
melanoma has ravaged my family--i am meticulous about avoiding burns, whether via clothing or sunblock---but the stage was set long ago for me to get melanoma---based on numerous burns to blistering as a boy, genetics, fair No Euro skin, blue eyes, freckles etc etc---at this point, it is statistically liklier than not that a melanoma will appear somewhere on me--so, for me, and, really, most people, the most important preventative measure is to have a good cancer-concerned dermatologist look at skin regularly--if the derma starts trying to sell you cosmetic procedures, etc, go elsewhere--get a doctor

and prevent any sun damage, certainly when young---do not let your kids burn--

stopped using all the chemical sunscreens years ago--only zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide--of course, we'll prolly learn those nano-particles will kill us too

and, dont forget, life is a terminal disease
I haven't had full blown melanoma, but I and a couple of my siblings have had several precancerous moles removed. A couple of times I have had to go back to get a deeper crater for particularly bad ones. So I have been read the riot act by my dermatologist. I was on a 6 month cycle with a few taken each time and have been able to switch to annual with only a couple taken by being more careful about exposure.

And as far as the last bit about life...

May you live ten years longer than I
And I shall never die...
  ;D
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 07:20:49 AM »
It's probably too late in the tourist season but, if you're some white person headed to the tropics, coat the tops of your feet with most cancerous/highest SPF you can find.  I was in the DR kiting and was in agony with burned, swollen feet in foot straps for at least half the trip.  Who'd ever thought about fricking FEET?!

FCS makes a great surf Bucket hat with ear covers.  The Aussies make the best sunscreen.

Jim   ...he who get chemo on his forehead about every other year.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 07:29:16 AM »
i think it was you, jim, who posted the forehead battlefield a while ago?

blistered the tops of my feet on a spring canoe day about 35 years ago

not good--those are the seeds from which melanoma emerges
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Josh

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
I wonder if using some of the newer zinc oxide formulas are better since they seem to stay on top of the skin. Also, for those that live in Southern California, Pelagic in Costa Mesa usually clears out their last year model stuff just after the first of the year. They make great longsleeve sun shirts with armpit ventilation. It’s usually a factory location sale but definitely worth the trip if you buy a few items.

Josh

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
Forgot to mention that Trestles surf outlet in San Clemente has good deals on longsleeve sun shirts also.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal