Author Topic: Stay unpopular - comment on foiling  (Read 7372 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Stay unpopular - comment on foiling
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 03:58:02 AM »
Jim, do you still kite? Kite foil?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »
 No, Dwight, nada mas...   At around 71-72, I was experiencing diminished executive functions.  I was starting to lose the ability to make appropriate corrections quickly enough (delayed processing or simple confusion..both?), finding myself in the C'hit too often.  I was lucky to put a kite in a tree to save myself from one of those episodes you and I read about in the kite forum in the early 2000s.  I sold off everything.

I am still working. I have been a contractor to DeHavilland Aircraft in Canada since the mid-'70s and fiddle around 7-days making other useless notions. Nice to see you have been able to retire down in the area I would have picked.  I bought 'the motorhome' but—it's become another 'project'.   Life goes on ...'till.  Cheers.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
Well OK, if comparing apples to oranges is the point of the thread, compare a sup guy to this...

https://youtu.be/1doug0ZGI_s?t=301 (warning: turn the volume off if foul-worded lyrics aren't your thing)

...kinda silly, huh?

you guys are killing me. I just started sup surfing, and then this comes along. Luckily I can't afford to foil sup.....yet
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »
Bummer Jim. I see foiling as the old persons salvation. I encourage all my retired friends to get into it before we loose any more of our coordination. Because long term, it will enable all of us to windsurf, kitesurf, and surf longer as our hips and knees fail us.

I already avoid windsurfing and kitesurfing in high winds because my hip is going bad. I prefer riding on air with a foil.

We have a 76 year old foiler here. Many more are planning to join the riding on air crew. Getting beaten up by chop is not longer acceptable.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:22:11 AM by Dwight (DW) »

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
Bummer Jim. I see foiling as the old persons salvation. I encourage all my retired friends to get into it before we loose any more of our coordination. Because long term, it will enable all of us to windsurf, kitesurf, and surf longer as our hips and knees fail us.

I already avoid windsurfing and kitesurfing in high winds because my hip is going bad. I prefer riding on air with a foil.

We have a 76 year old foiler here. Many more are planning to join the riding on air crew. Getting beaten up by chop is not longer acceptable.
So has foiling gotten easier to learn with recent technology?  I was under the impression it was extremely difficult to learn but to read 76 year olds are taking it up is amazing to me! 
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 09:48:20 AM »
Well OK, if comparing apples to oranges is the point of the thread, compare a sup guy to this...

https://youtu.be/1doug0ZGI_s?t=301 (warning: turn the volume off if foul-worded lyrics aren't your thing)

...kinda silly, huh?

you guys are killing me. I just started sup surfing, and then this comes along. Luckily I can't afford to foil sup.....yet
As was pointed out - which I agree with - that is not your typical sup foiler there, and there's only a very slight few doing those kinds of thing on them.

But that also doesn't mean that the rest of the sup foil world are just "going straight" - as was implied by the OP - just because one guy in one video (titled "Foiling 500-1000M Waves" no less) is going straight for, yes...500-1000M just like the title.  ::)

If ya just started sup surfing, you've got plenty of fun times trying to get the most out of your new found sport, but after a few years when you get bummed because there's days in the years that the waves aren't conducive to suping...you might think about throwing a foil on the bottom of that board, and be amazed at just how fun, and how many more waves you can catch that used to be "unrideable".

Once you get the hang of it, and can do more than just "going straight" when you want to...I think you'll really think it to be a great investment for more time on the water in conditions that would otherwise have you sitting on the beach bitchin' about them.  :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 10:30:39 AM »
So has foiling gotten easier to learn with recent technology?  I was under the impression it was extremely difficult to learn but to read 76 year olds are taking it up is amazing to me!

If you windsurf, then yes. The newest boards and foils make it super easy. Slingshot is killing it with boards and foils for recreational foiling.

Kite foiling has become easier too, with the shift to surf foils for learning.

Wake foiling is going big too. The world champion wake surfer was at our last surf comp killing it on a foil against the best surf foilers. I had an order for a foil board from a 70 year old guy who was into wake foiling and doing flips. He had straps put on it.

Learning without access to the above certainly makes it harder to get over the hump.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:34:16 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
Dammit I don't need another fucking watersport obsession.Definitely about to get another fucking water sport obsession
Make paddleboarding great again!

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 02:05:34 PM »
All this stupid talk about foiling made me take out the foil today, thanks guys.... :o.  I moved the whole fuselage forward about 3/4 of an inch (mine's a custom fuselage that's been cnc out with multiple mounting holes).  I also tried a new spot with a crumbling weakass wave, similar to Sano's Dog Patch.  It was one of my better foiling sessions but honestly I would have rather been on my Whopper.  The longboarders were having way more fun on the set waves while I just rode straight trying to keep my balance.  I was able to catch one wave and ride it down the line instead of just going straight in the mushie white wash.   It still felt kinda boring compared to sup surfing...meh.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »
Old Guys Foiling!

:o

Here is a Northern California local 62 year old CRUSHING it on the foil.  And despite all the love he recently got for Foiling Cowells this video will reassure him keeping his distance. 

Even makes you wonder "Where is Everybody?"

https://youtu.be/X65qdSa09gI
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:49:16 PM by Beasho »

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 03:50:00 PM »
I think I was about 6 months in before I got to the point where I felt like I was having more fun than I was surfing.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
this foil obsession is either you like it or hate it.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »
Old Guys Foiling!

:o

Here is a Northern California local 62 year old CRUSHING it on the foil.  And despite all the love he recently got for Foiling Cowells this video will reassure him keeping his distance. 

Even makes you wonder "Where is Everybody?"

https://youtu.be/X65qdSa09gI

he's rockin Beasho, what a ride and I feel like I was in there but not at he's level  :D

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
Jeff is so recognizable out there with him always just carrying his paddle in the right hand it's almost funny. He and Clay were already out in the water at Sano last week when a couple of pulled up to park, and someone inquired who was already out there...as soon as he took off, and immediately abandoned the use of his paddle once again, almost in unison a couple of us said, "well there's Jeff Clark".   :)

Them are some big sets rolling through there, and I'm always amazed at how youse guys manage to fit such big pelotas in them tight wetsuits before you head out to them.  :o ;D  Not sure I'd have the balls to even paddle out, much less attempt to paddle into some of big ass ones seen out there. Kudos to all of you...stay safe though.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 04:42:52 AM »
Old Guys Foiling!

Here is a Northern California local 62 year old CRUSHING it on the foil. 

Jeff has great foiling style.  Possibly because of his age there is much less pumping and a lot more of that smooth gliding that makes the foil look advantageous.  These waves clearly have plenty of power to help with that but even so he is gliding through the slow sections and positioning to stay flying.  Very cool.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal