Author Topic: gel coat repair  (Read 5125 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: gel coat repair
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 12:49:43 AM »
It looks like the ding goes through the outer carbon layer and through the 1'8" ultra high density foam layer to the inner carbon layer below that. The foam may be thinner than 1/8" in some spots.

Here is what you're looking at. Just insert carbon where it says fiberglass.

http://jimmylewis.com/board-construction/

Thanks! Thing is, i should see a layer of carbon or at least some carbon threads and i dont except at the bottom which appears to be the outer sandwich. And it seems there is no way that the "foam" in that picture is 1/8 thick.
So maybe i just took of the paint?

If you see foam, you went through all the glass & carbon.  Since it's so small, you might not see any individual carbon threads, but the gray in the foam is probably carbon dust.  I have lots of ding guys around me--and I do all repairs myself.  Not that hard just to do as TD says.  Or, get a good sticker/puka patch and go paddle.  I usually cover most of my small dings with stickers until I have a few things I need to fix and then get them all done at once.

Or be able to suck some air or water out with my mouth which i cant.
Or at least I dont think i can because that test never really works for me somehow....

I have never considered sucking saltwater and fiberglass out of any board  ::) I don't think you went all the way through the lower layer of the glass sandwich, so maybe there has been no real water intrusion issue (if it's only through the top of a sandwich construction layer).
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 01:07:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure the thin outer high density foam layer is closed cell and will not hold water.

I would probably just fill it with a mixture of epoxy and fairing filler and sand it smooth.

If I was really worried about it, I would send some pics to Jimmy and see what he says.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 06:06:58 AM »
foil (metal) duct tape works very well for temporary repair
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »
I keep a role of Helicopter tape in my truck. No need to stop surfing if the board gets cracked or punctured.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 07:30:10 AM »
Foil is great because the adhesive is so aggressive, the only drawback is it does not offer much penetration protection.  So for anything larger than a crack, helicopter tape or a sticker works well.  I keep a stash of vinyl stickers on hand for temporary repairs.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:03 PM »
what is everyones fav sticker /patch

Puka Patch  https://pukapatch.com/ 

From the video on the home page, it looks like Jimmy would approve.  I get the XLs, stick a razor blade in the pack and keep it in my truck.  I can cut to whatever size I need.

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »
So what do you think this is? On the rail of my Glide. The bottom is gray, the rail yellow. I am tempted to scrape a little at the bottom of the chip (that's a pretty good close up; it's under 1/2") to prove what looks obvious - the gray continues up the rail and the yellow is just paint on top of it. There is a another smaller (*tiny* - again a close up) scrape where gray shows. The picture of it isn't as good but the gray in the scrape matches the bottom exactly and it is further away from the edges. Still plan to seal the chip, but it looks like trim paint.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
Sand again smooth and do your best faux finish with some grey and black paint brushed. Then spray a rattler can flat or semi clear.

I don't even bother to paint them anymore... :-)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
So what do you think this is? On the rail of my Glide. The bottom is gray, the rail yellow. I am tempted to scrape a little at the bottom of the chip (that's a pretty good close up; it's under 1/2") to prove what looks obvious - the gray continues up the rail and the yellow is just paint on top of it. There is a another smaller (*tiny* - again a close up) scrape where gray shows. The picture of it isn't as good but the gray in the scrape matches the bottom exactly and it is further away from the edges. Still plan to seal the chip, but it looks like trim paint.

I have a board with lots of paint chips like that. I was told they have to be filled in first before repainting.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »

I have a board with lots of paint chips like that. I was told they have to be filled in first before repainting.
Yeah, I would think it would need to be leveled for more paint. I am thinking of sealing just to keep it from chipping easily at the ragged edges. I am a little disappointed that Naish uses paint that chips so easily.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
i appreciate everyones willingness to help out here! Thank you! I did send it to Marlon by the way and he said he couldnt really tell from the photo. I wish i could get a better image .

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »

Yeah, I would think it would need to be leveled for more paint. I am thinking of sealing just to keep it from chipping easily at the ragged edges. I am a little disappointed that Naish uses paint that chips so easily.

I used to get pretty bummed out about chips and scratches but now I kind of like the battle ax look.  I've got an old glide that I'll never sell because it's such an easy board--great to loan to beginners and pretty well made.  Sure, there are paint chips but if it's just a chip I don't bother fixing them--what's more important is that the structure underneath is intact.  Kind of like Oki, I don't bother matching paint anymore--unless it's black or white--I usually top my repairs with a quick hit of epoxy appliance spray paint.  That way I can see clearly if something starts to bubble.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal