Author Topic: Video: Foil surfing in Hawaii for the first time  (Read 2858 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Video: Foil surfing in Hawaii for the first time
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:28:57 PM »
Here is a video of my recent trip to Hawaii.  I had the pleasure of surfing with many of you here on the Zone including Rob, Sam, and Daniel from Blue Planet and Pono Bill from Maui.  You all made the trip super fun and I'm so glad I had a chance to share some waves with you.  Living in AZ and riding with these guys was kind of surreal and very special. 

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsX_Au04b8
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:30:59 PM by Evan Lloyd »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Video: Foil surfing in Hawaii for the first time
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
Looked like a great time. Checked all the Hawaii boxes. Good report with pictures and all 8)
I was hoping you caught some rare footage of Pono ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:08:23 AM »
He did! At 8:39, the guy crawling back on his board with features hidden by a bucket hat like the neighbor "wilson" on home improvement. The only reason I could tell is because that's Little Fugly I'm crawling on to. My 2 seconds of fame.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 04:04:04 AM »
Nice

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 04:46:23 AM »
Very entertaining video Evan, pretty techy green screen.... that was awesome  :)

and how did you get all that drone footage? Someone in your family operating for you?
I just got a Mavic Pro, so I'm interested in how you managed so much footage!
What resolution are you shooting?
What computer do you use?
I just seized my old Macbook Pro up when I downloaded a tiny 4 k video.
I may be out of luck in that department, since I read that 1080p looks terrible from a drone.

For a boy from the desert you sure manage to rip that foil.... and managed to hook up with all the best in the sport!
I really like your surfing, clean and controlled with great style  :)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 06:46:43 AM »
That was a great video!  I’m wondering how you got so good at foiling if you live in AZ?  Do you practice on lakes?  Foiling is so intriguing but I’m afraid of the learning curve plus I don’t think the type of waves(mostly short beach break) where I live would be worth it.  Anyway, great to watch, thanks.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »
That was a great video!  I’m wondering how you got so good at foiling if you live in AZ?  Do you practice on lakes?  Foiling is so intriguing but I’m afraid of the learning curve plus I don’t think the type of waves(mostly short beach break) where I live would be worth it.  Anyway, great to watch, thanks.

I've been out on a lake twice with the foil.  I think the flight time you get behind the boat accelerates the learning curve dramatically.  That said, the vast majority of my training was done in the ocean.  I still have so much to learn.  The more I foil with talented surfers the more I realize what is possible. The best part about foiling for me is that I no longer have to stress whether or not the waves are good.  Big or small I know that the long drive to the coast will be worth it.  No more bad days - unless its windy - I still hate the wind. 

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »

I've been out on a lake twice with the foil.  I think the flight time you get behind the boat accelerates the learning curve dramatically.  That said, the vast majority of my training was done in the ocean.  I still have so much to learn.  The more I foil with talented surfers the more I realize what is possible. The best part about foiling for me is that I no longer have to stress whether or not the waves are good.  Big or small I know that the long drive to the coast will be worth it.  No more bad days - unless its windy - I still hate the wind.
Gotcha.  I’m glad you brought up wind cause I’d say it’s more windy than not around here as well.  The other thing I fear is I’ve read others that start fouling struggle with stability when returning to SUP?
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »
thanks for sharing your video in the paradise Evan Lloyd.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »
He did! At 8:39, the guy crawling back on his board with features hidden by a bucket hat like the neighbor "wilson" on home improvement. The only reason I could tell is because that's Little Fugly I'm crawling on to. My 2 seconds of fame.
You're just camera shy  ;D
You're in there more than you knew...

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
Great video.  I too am envious of getting to foil with all our Foil-Mentors.

Foiling is reminding me of windsurfing's heyday when we used to say There are only 30 windsurfers in the world.

In the late 80's / early 90's it was as if there were just 30 windsurfing zealots (in the US) and everybody knew each-other or would run into each-other whether at the Gorge, Kalmus Beach, the Outer Banks, the Dominican Republic, Hookipa or the San Francisco Bay.

PS: Why do you live in AZ given your SUP / surfing background.  Did you make some sort of Faustian agreement  ::)   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:41:56 PM by Beasho »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 11:59:56 PM »
Great video Evan, well done. 
I'm looking forward to seeing your Costa Rica trip coverage.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
PS: Why do you live in AZ given your SUP / surfing background.  Did you make some sort of Faustian agreement  ::)   

The short answer is the quality of life in AZ is better than what I experienced in the 20 years I lived in CA. Also my wife runs a summer camp in Santa Cruz, so we travel to CA nearly every month. CA is also close enough that if  I get the itch to surf, we hop in the car/plane and I’m surfing by the afternoon.

Not ideal, but we make it work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal